James Arness and John Wayne

Help Support Ruger Forum:

g5m

Blackhawk
I saw the movie while living on Tinker AFB OK in 1950 I was 7 at the time. After the movie was over I had to walk home through a SCARY DARK field and I died of fright 3-4 times.
I tried to get my Grandson to watch it when he was around 8. He wanted no part of it.
Same for me. I wasn't afraid of the dark at all then saw that movie. Every time I walked to a friend's house after that I knew 'TheThing' was behind every bush and shrub! Later I got that that wasn't true. It had to be a BIG bush for him/it to hide behind...

g5m

Blackhawk
John Wayne used to go bird hunting on my uncle's place in AZ. Sometimes with Dizzy Dean. Wayne liked it so much that he bought his own cattle ranch nearby. I never met him but would have liked to. I haven't ever heard of James Arness doing anything in AZ.

txramfan

Single-Sixer
If I'm not mistaken that would be his Pontiac station wagon ordered special by Duke with a 4" higher roof.
I recall the roof was higher a ways back from the windshield, with glass in the area it increased in height.
It wasn't a Dodge or Ford. Mom had a Ford wagon around that time.

caryc

Hawkeye
I recall the roof was higher a ways back from the windshield, with glass in the area it increased in height.
It wasn't a Dodge or Ford. Mom had a Ford wagon around that time.
Are you talking about the Olds Vista Cruiser?

lkPfNj7.jpg

Yoter

Bearcat
I like the early episodes of Gunsmoke when James Arness does the introduction from Boot Hill.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Not questioning anybody, but if someone wants accurate info about movies there is a website called IMDB, which has ALL the facts about just about any movie or TV series there ever was. Year made, released, by who, starring who, where filmed, etc., etc. Can even look up individual actors to get a short bio. Plus, one does not need to submit any personal info to get all that, like email, etc.

Not questioning anybody, but if someone wants accurate info about movies there is a website called IMDB, which has ALL the facts about just about any movie or TV series there ever was. Year made, released, by who, starring who, where filmed, etc., etc. Can even look up individual actors to get a short bio. Plus, one does not need to submit any personal info to get all that, like email, etc.
Great resource. I use it often when watching old movies. I like to look for famous actors in early roles.