Latest known speed six serial number(s)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
I'm looking at a 162-5091X Speed Six and wondering how much later they were made than this and suspect it may be a special contract gun. My question is what's the latest Six Series revolver collector's have found?

Last edited:

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Thanks, contender. I wonder if all the very late 162 prefix Speed Sixes were special order.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Only because I've got a 162-405XX NYCPD contract Service Six 4" & 162-426XX NYCPD Speed Six 3" and the picture I saw of this one looks like a 3" barrel but hard to tell. If not a 3" , definitely a heavy barrel 2 3/4". I realize it's not a nycpd gun or USPS but just because some of the high sn# were special contract and all the three inches were. Seen quite a few 3" barreled Six Series advertised as 2 3/4". Wishful thinking I guess.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
A good deal of the fixed sight guns made those last couple years were indeed contract guns, but I would hesitate to say they all were. The GP100 came out in 1986, so the adjustable sight Security Six was discontinued then. But because of contracts for fixed sight guns, Speed Six and Service Six production carried on until they got the design for fixed sight GP100s sorted out. But you don't see as many fixed sight GPs because that period was also coincident with most agencies changing over to autoloaders.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
A good deal of the fixed sight guns made those last couple years were indeed contract guns, but I would hesitate to say they all were. The GP100 came out in 1986, so the adjustable sight Security Six was discontinued then. But because of contracts for fixed sight guns, Speed Six and Service Six production carried on until they got the design for fixed sight GP100s sorted out. But you don't see as many fixed sight GPs because that period was also coincident with most agencies changing over to autoloaders.
After reading the mechanical condition description the seller said the barrel was canted from over tightening so I passed. it was too far off after a closer look at photos.