Speed Six restoration

Help Support Ruger Forum:

magnum0710

Bearcat
After hunting and searching I came across a Speed Six with 2.75 inch barrel. I was hesitant at first, it does have some slight rust but now I'm excited to start working on it! On the hunt for a front sight now.
I was looking at used SP101s as well but after talking to a friend on here I decided to take the chance and restore this to its former glory. It's kind of sad seeing it in the shape it's in but I think once it's said and done it's going to be 100% worth it.
I wanted a new carry revolver and just couldn't decide on what I wanted. I knew I wanted 6 shots instead of 5 but would have settled on 5 in the SP101. So why would I take a chance on this Speed Six instead of getting a used SP?
It came down to funds! The site I found this on allowed me to place it on layaway. All the used SPs I found I couldn't do that with. Plus it's a 6 shooter which makes it even better. I'm really hoping the insides are good and it's mechanically sound. Worst case I replace parts as I go. Normally I wouldn't buy a used gun (especially in this kind of shape) without being able to inspect it first, the thing is I don't know if or when I'll come across a Speed Six again and what price it would be. This one is $512 shipped to my ffl and I have 90 days to pay it off. I already have half of it so it should be in my hands in the next few weeks.
So what do you all think? I'll keep you all updated on the restoration process as it goes.
Screenshot_20240325_171151_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240325_171156_Chrome.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Good choice.
Restore and refinish is super easy. A scotch brite pad.
Folks here will likely have the parts you need if you use Classifieds.

magnum0710

Bearcat
Good choice.
Restore and refinish is super easy. A scotch brite pad.
Folks here will likely have the parts you need if you use Classifieds.
That's my exact plan! I have a gray scotch Brite in my cleaning supplies right now. Got it to buff out some minor scratches on my Security Six.
I really thought I'd be able to carry my 4 inch Security but it's not as easy as I thought. I can and have done it but it's not exactly easy, mostly due to barrel length. That and as I'm sure you know I ended up with a stainless low back so the rarity of it makes me hesitant to carry it. The Speed Six is going to be perfect!!!
I was considering the new Rossi RP63 since its a 3 inch 6 shooter too but I'd much rather have the Speed Six even if it does take some work. Looking at the website more my guess is it's just fine mechanically. It's from Centerfire Systems, they have a ton of old revolvers and they seem to list what all is wrong. They have ones listed with the timing off, broken hammer, missing parts, etc. The only thing it said about this Speed Six is some rusting and missing front sight.
If it's as easy to shoot magnums as my 4 inch then the Security Six may just become a safe queen due to the rarity of it.

Strawdog

Bearcat
A few years back I picked up a Police Service Six that had been ridden hard and put away wet. She was in rough shape and showed that it had been dropped on concrete a couple times too. With Scotch Brite therapy the finish came out better than I expected. I also added a Ruger action shim kit that made the action feel sooo much better. The front sight was replaced with a SP101 Mepro night sight which improved the sight picture a lot.
Your project is doable and in the end will be everything you hoped for.
3e8OxpEl.jpg

kdKXy0Rl.jpg

magnum0710

Bearcat
Oh wow! Yeah that came out real good! My Security still has some deeper dings especially around the muzzle but I got it looking almost new again. Scotch brite does work wonders on stainless. Mine was a mess before the Scotch brite.
I wouldn't mind doing some kind of night sights, I hear the XS sights for the SP will work just have to take a couple swipes on each side. I don't know how I feel about drilling the pin hole though, from what I've been reading you have to drill it while it's in the gun. I don't have a bit that small anyway but I think it'd just be a safer bet for me to get one that will already fit.
I really can't wait to get my hands on it! Only $267 to go now!
Is that a 3 inch or 2.75 it looks like a 3??? And where did you find those Tyler's??? I've only ever came across the BK version.
I honestly like the grips that are coming with the Speed Six but I might switch to Pachmayr Compacts if they don't conceal that good.
I'll tell you what though, if it's as fun to shoot magnums out of the Speed Six my low back will become a safe queen except for maybe the occasional range trip with target loads. I'll probably take it on a hog hunt if I ever get the chance too but otherwise I want to keep that low back in good shape.
The same site had a blued one for $395 right now too, it has alot of surface rust but it's not as deep. The thing is I don't know the first thing about fixing bluing. Stainless I can work with plus the stainless seems to be in better shape anyway.

Last edited:

Strawdog

Bearcat
Mine has a 2.75" barrel. Changing the front sight out was a bit intimidating for me too but I dove in and watched a few youtube videos. Drilling from both sides to meet in the middle was the clue that made it easy. I looked for the BigDot XS sight but at that time they just were not obtainable (covid).
I was just lucky on finding the #8 Tyler T-grip. They can be ordered from Tyler last I heard but they will be made and shipped whenever they get around to it. I was very close to ordering a BK when I ran across the Tyler new old stock in somebodies parts bin. The Tyler does make it much easier to hold onto when shooting full house 357's.

If you can get or have a set of the original low back grips I agree that a #8 Tyler T-Grip is the way to go. Maybe you can get one from someone here but if you order it from Bryan at Tyler be prepared to wait for it to arrive. You will forget about it and say bad words to yourself thinking that you won't get it. Then some day when you least expect it you will get a small package containing your #8 Tyler T-Grip. An ivory colored BK Grip is an alternative. I am not sure which BK to order though.

magnum0710

Bearcat
My Speed Six isn't a low back, but my Security is. I made Pachmayr Grippers for the high backs fit it. It's not a perfect fit but damn close and it doesn't beat my hand up. In the event the speed six handles magnums as well as my Security does, the security will most likely be a safe queen and thr original grips will go back on. I may put a Tyler or BK on it if and when that happens.

magnum0710

Bearcat
Just wanted to give you all an update, should have my Speed Six paid off in the next week or two. Sold an El cheapo revolver I had no use for to soak up some of the cost.
Already have the front sight ready for when it comes too! My next update should be before and after pics!!!

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
If that's the gun, I'd like to confirm that it is indeed a stainless steel speed six? If I'm correct, yeah, I'd be surprised if rust was a serious problem. I certainly have SEEN a rusty stainless frame, all stainless needing some amount of carbon for strength. But it was really only some staining that didn't go too deep or even too large in surface involvement. If you need to go in it, the J. Kuhfenhausen (sp) shop manuals are great.

Latest posts