Stainless 2.75 security six vs speed six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Between these two revolvers, given they are equal in durability capability and most parts… is one easier to find parts for, desired more and or
Considered more valuable and collectible given less production numbers?

The Security Six has a square butt and adjustable rear sight. The Speed Six has a round butt grip and fixed sights. Then there's the Service Six, which had a square butt and fixed sights. All share the most of the same parts except for the frame, grip, and sights. From a practical standpoint I think most people would prefer the Security Six because of its adjustable sight. All should be equally durable, unless you are unfortunate enough to break the rear sight on the Security Six. Which isn't easy to do.

I have all three and can't say that I favor one type over another. As to collectibility I have no idea. Probably a 9mm Speed Six would be a pretty good collectible.

Any of the Six series in 9mm would be considered as a collectible. Most (not all though) the 9mm's (and .380 Rim) were produced for overseas contracts so as such they are harder to find.

The Six series revolvers internally are the same. Over the years things were changed (cosmetically and metallurgically), trigger, hammer, frame, barrel, cylinder and other parts but the basic shape of the parts was not drastically changed other than the low back to high back frame. You can take internal parts from a low back frame and put them in a high back frame and not know the difference. That is one reason they are so easy to work on/repair.

hittman

Staff member

This Six Series topic is a deep rabbit hole for you. Get in there and root around LOL.
Lots of books available. I recommend buying and reading them.
Also this link is for a great guide published by one of our members here.
RENE is a "must have".

hittman

Staff member
Also there's LOTS of threads here, new and old, on the Six Series guns.
See "Similar threads" at the bottom of the page or use "Search" on the upper right.

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
The two revolvers are near twins except for the Security Six has adjustable sights and a squarish grip frame and Speed Six has fixed sights and a rounded grip frame. As twins, nearly every part will be common to both including trigger, hammer group parts and screws & springs. The exception being the main frame and barrel. That said, I have several 'extra' Security Six' grips and only one 'extra' Speed Six factory grip.
My advice is to get the one that fits your needs best and instead of what others may consider more desirable or collectable.

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Would the rounded grip frame speed six, make THAT much of a noticeable difference vs square security for 2.75 inch for concealed outer belt holster carry?

eveled

Hawkeye
securitysix004_zps8624151e.jpeg

This thread needs pictures.

Multiple things going on here, and in every case, it's operator preference rules.

I have both Security Sixes and Speed Sixes. For me, I prefer the round butt for shootability as well as carryability. And the adjustable sights of the Security Six never get in the way or snag. Therefore, my favorite is a round-butt Security Six. They were not catalogued, but for a couple different reasons, there are some around.

Latest posts