USMC Marked Security Six??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I ran across a 156 Series Security Six stamped "Property of USMC" on the back strap. Would it be a legit gun? I never heard of a USMC Security Six.

Thanks,

krf
Ruger sold to the military so anything is possible. ;) The stamp on the backstrap was applied after they received the guns, I would think.
I would be very interested in that gun if it was offered to me. If you are not interested in the gun but can buy it right, I'm sure you could
sell it here on the forum and turn a profit!! :unsure: Sure would like to see a picture.

There are a lot of guns out there marked "Property of US Government" & 90+% are legit! Thanks for posting...something else to look for...:)
Terry

BearBiologist

Buckeye
A 30-second Google search (Wikipedia) discloses the following users:

Terry T

Buckeye
Thanks for the confidence but I can't add anything more than what's been said here already.
I assume it's a .38 Spl. and not a 357 Mag.
Letter from Ruger is your best bet.
Terry T

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
The M108 was also available to US Army Intelligence and a friend who was Marine Recon back then said that a few of them carried them, but he couldn't remember if they were personal arms or issued.

K. Funk

Single-Sixer
I did obtain a letter from Ruger and a phone call. The letter stated that the revolver was sent to Ellet Bros. Distributor. Unfortunately, Ellet bros. went down with United Sporting. I received a phone call from Ruger from a nice lady. She apologized for me having to spend the money for information that did not answer my main question. I thought that was very nice of them. I reached out to the auction company I bought it from, who in turn contacted the brother of the collector who has passed on. The collector was a well known military collector in this area. The brother stated that the previous owner of the revolver was a USMC pilot and did carry the revolver with him when flying. I know the story is worth nothing without proof, but this is where we are. So, the next question would be...Did the US Military buy from distributors? Is this a viable possibility? With United Sporting out of business, there is no way to contact them.

krf

hittman

Staff member
The over-run NIS Speed Six's went to Davidsons in the mid 1990s.

Did Ruger say WHEN that gun went to that distributor? Maybe this gun is an over-run of items that went directly to the USMC or maybe the original owner had it engraved / marked as such.

Last edited:
K.Funk - you wrote "The letter stated that the revolver was sent to Ellet Bros. Distributor." That could mean that it was an overrun gun from the contract with the USMC or the US .gov section that bought things for the military. The original owner very well could have carried it when flying. Many aviators didn't like certain revolvers (the way they fit on/in the holsters that aviators wore) and he could have bought it from Ellet Bros. Military units very often gave permission to military members to carry personal/confiscated weapons. In Viet Nam, many Army and Marine ground troops liked carrying the AK47 instead of the M1, M14 or M16 as they could many times pick up ammo in the field after skirmishes, etc. and the AK47 was known to be a very reliable firearm.

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
There's also several Security Sixes in the weapons locker at the Intelligence Support armory. Those are what lead me to start buying my own. Or at least they were there 25 years ago!

Outpost75

Outpost75
When I was with the company a small order of 4- inch Service Six with square butt, and lanyard loop were produced for the USMC Embassy Guard School at Quantico. A similar number of 2-3/4 inch round butt Speed Six for Army CID and GSA Federal Protective Service. All being in .38 Special. The contract over runs went to distributors for sale to collectors. Most did not bear any distinctive markings other than US.
Production was several thousand in small batches during the period 1984-87.

larry8

Single-Sixer
That reminds me of my S&W M&P 38 that was made in 1923. It is stamped "CIC" on the upper part of the grip frame. I'll not shoot it because I think the ammo today is more powerful than the ammo of the 1920's and the steel is a lot better and stronger than back then. However I am curious about the "CIC" stamped on the grip frame. Does anyone here know what that stands for??

chet15

Hawkeye
One thing to remember when discussing Ruger contracts... did Ruger actually produce the model for them in a shipment? Or were the guns procured after they left the factory? To know would make a big difference in price/demand.
Chet15

Latest posts