Speed Six stainless in 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
While looking in my closet for a Single Six, I found a stainless Speed Six in 9mm plus a lot of half and full moon clips. I had totally forgotten I owned it! I had stashed it away in a nice Ruger brand gun rug. It looks 'new in box' except I don't have the box or papers.

The serial prefix is 157 which according to the Ruger web page makes this one a 1981 product and it has a fully domed recoil shield. The latter ones had scalloped recoil shields.

I know Ruger doesn't release production numbers, but can anyone tell me anything they have found out about relative scarcity of the 9mm vs. the 38 and 357 ones?

I am a very happy camper today since this was a one doubles the number of Speed Sixes that I have, from one to two, and adds to my pile of Service and Security Sixes. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking for that Single Six. Who knows what else I'll find?

contender

Ruger Guru
Looking at the RENE Guide,, there isn't any actual production numbers for the stainless .9mm Speed-Six models.
However,, they do list the serial number range,, but remember,, this is NOT a way to determine numbers! Only the range in which this model was made. Other models can be in the same sequence.
GS-92 from 156-75894 to 157-31987
GS-94 from 157-01613 (The lowest number known for that model) to ???

But I can attest that the .9mm is scarcer than the .38/,357 models.

Hopefully, one of the DA collectors can chime in with more info.

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
None of us know the numbers. But what we do know, is seeing a Speed Six in .38/.357 is a regular occurrence. Almost never, except in collector circles, will we see a 9mm Speed Six. Many of us have them in our collections, but it seems very seldom do any of us turn loose of one.
Thanks for the info. A 9mm Speed Six was top of my list of 'wants' and that is why when I found this one in my closet that I was so excited and wanted to share. The full moon and half moon clips were a nice bonus too. I won't be turning this one loose anytime soon. The Security, Service, Speed Six revolvers are my favorites.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Last month I sold a 9mm stainless 2.75" Speed Six w/o box or papers (or moon clips) here in the Classifieds. Asking price was $935 shipped and it didn't last for more than a few minutes.

I'd reckon the 9mm was less than 1% of -Six DA production. With 100K guns per serial number prefix, they filled up 12.5 prefixes with all calibers. That's 1.25 million guns, so 1% would be 12,500. That seems high. But then, many were exported, so who knows.

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
A sincere thanks to everyone for all the great info. I forgot to mention that it has a 2.75 inch barrel in addition to being stainless. I wasn't aware of the 4 inch version. The serial, 157- 2958X, places it later in the serial number sequence.