Layoffs at Lake City Army Ammunition Plant

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yankee_Papa

Bearcat
Lake City employees are offered voluntary layoffs
March 6
By MARK DAVIS
The Kansas City Star

Hourly workers at the federally owned Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Independence have been given voluntary layoff offers as part of a plan to reduce the workforce of 2,600.

The cutbacks result mainly from modernization efforts during the last eight years, according to Bryan Kidder, a spokesman for Alliant Techsystems, which operates the facility for the U.S. Army.

Previously, the Army had said the plant's 30 government employees could see cutbacks as part of the federal cuts known as sequestration. Kidder said the layoff plans are not related to sequestration.

Kidder said that the number of expected job cuts and their timing is unknown but that an involuntary layoff probably will follow the voluntary departures.

(more)

Read the entire article here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/06/4103593/lake-city-employees-offered-voluntary.html#storylink=cpy

==========================

My comment: Are they operating at 100% capacity?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Yep, modernization and less war. I hope they get a good package. Seems funny with the ammo and component shortage right now but I am sure they are looking well into the future. :( :(

Enigma

Hunter
He also attributed the cutbacks to "recent drawdowns in military actions."

Lake City has been operating 24/7 since at least 2003, and they still haven't been able to meet the demand for small arms ammo. With the drawdown in Afghanistan and the end of our ground combat involvement in Iraq, the demand for ammo has decreased. Once we actually leave A-stan, there will probably be even more layoffs.

I hope those folks working at Lake City made good use of the overtime pay they were receiving, because that particular gravy train has run its course.

Yankee_Papa

Bearcat
The reason I brought it up is that they are soliciting for huge orders. Why reduce output at a fed plant and then order more from somebody else?