Lets See Some PICS of NM and OM Vaqueros Please....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nalapombu

Bearcat
Hey all,

Been looking around at SA revolvers lately and would like to ask you guys to post some examples of both the OLD Model Vaquero's and also the NEW Models. Doesn't matter the finish and barrel length, but I am pretty fond of that finish that some call "original" finish that makes them look really old and I'm told can be reproduced using a Scotch Brite Pad.

Please post 'em up if you don't mind. I'd love to see 'em. I'm trying to get an idea of what I'd like to eventually have.

Thanks all.

Nalajr

Hugh

Buckeye
Here are two .44 Magnum Ruger Vaqueros.

rugervaqueros44mag5half.jpg

I don't have a New Vaquero.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Here's mine, a .45 Colt.

100_84571.jpg

Maybe not much to look at, but its a nice gun anyway.

Bob Wright

P.S. Don't take a Scotch Brite pad to it! Let it age naturally.

Rclark

Hunter
Nice original Vaqueros and New Vaqueros guys. .... But I sure don't see any OM Vaqueros ;) :p . Like to see one of those beasts in the wild.... Sort of like snipe hunting I suspect though....

Hondo44

Hawkeye
New Vaq. 45 Montado, original Vaq hammer and grip frame
orig.jpg

New V 44 Spl Sheriffs model, original Vaq hammer (it's marked only Vaquero however because there were no original 44 Spl Vaqueros).
orig.jpg

Vaq. 44 Mags
orig.jpg

schloss

Single-Sixer
Rclark said:
Nice original Vaqueros and New Vaqueros guys. .... But I sure don't see any OM Vaqueros ;) :p . Like to see one of those beasts in the wild.... Sort of like snipe hunting I suspect though....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe

OM Vaqueros don't exist. However, snipe do. :wink:

Still, no matter how much you heckle people on this, they'll probably always refer to the Vaquero as the old model, just like everybody calls the New Vaquero simply the Vaquero.

Still, nice pics. I'm hoping someone has some side by side pics of the Vaquero and the New Vaquero.

NorEaster

Blackhawk
I feel that one can properly refer to the original Vaquero models as an old Vaquero if they like. I certainly know what they are referring to.
A Vaquero model is a single action revolver fixed sighted handgun and a Blackhawk is a single action revolver adjustable sighted handgun. Two separate product lines from the same manufacturer. Just as there are old and new model Blackhawks, there are old and new model Vaqueros. Both product lines have changed somewhat from their original inception.

RugerHound

Hunter
Here's some side-by-side... Both are .45 Colt, 5.5", SS.
Vaquero weighs 2 lbs 11 oz
New Vaquero weighs 2 lbs 8 oz

As Hondo44 says, without holding them in your hand you really wouldn't know the difference.

Top = Vaquero, Bottom = New Vaquero
IMG_4564s.jpg

Top = Vaquero, Bottom = New Vaquero
IMG_4561s.jpg

Left = New Vaquero, Right = Vaquero
IMG_4568s.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Tx gun runner,

As I look at your great collection it struck me that it represents a lot of searching, parts changing and diligence to get just what you wanted. My hats off to you.

I also remembered another way to tell original from New Vaqueros; all of your Vaqueros appear to be originals since they all have the large frame style collared cylinder pin (except the 44-40 Sheriff of necessity). The New Vaq has pins w/o collars because of the slightly smaller frame, the pin is very close to the barrel.

mic214

Bearcat
Here is my trio of "First Generation" Vaqueros.....all in .44 magnum:

44vaqueros2.jpg

Here is my Ruger New Vaquero ("Second Generation"). It is a .45 Colt stainless steel version with a 7-1/2" barrel:

Vaqueroholster1.jpg

Nalapombu

Bearcat
WOW!! That pair with the Lone Star holsters is just AWESOME! I'd love to have a rig like that one.

I could also use one of them as my sidearm when I go bowhunting for feral hogs. That's the plan for my first Single Action. Put it into a crossdraw rig and strap it on instead of my S&W Model 65 3 inch and take it along when I go bowhunting with my Bear Recurve for those nasty Texas hogs.

Nalajr

street

Hunter
Here are some pictures of a consecutive pair of .357 Mag. Vaqueros, Old Model Vaqueros, Large Frame Vaqueros, 1st model Vaqueros, Type 1 Vaqueros, Early Model Vaqueros, or what ever you want to call them. RENE states 500 or less of these with the Sim. Ivory Type grips with the engraved cylinders made.

398208516.jpg

398208518.jpg

398208517.jpg

398208519.jpg