Manual safety on semi auto's or not?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
As a long time, dyed-in-the-wool 1911 enthusiast, I've always preferred a manual safety on my carry pistols...Which is flipped off instinctively, without even thinking about it upon drawing a weapon. But lately, I've purchased a few pistols sans such safties. And, I don't dislike them one single iota. What are your thoughts on the matter?

For a while I carried a compact Kimber actually had two different ones that were both totally unreliable
and made trips back to the factory, will never have another. That has nothing to do with anything other
than I hate the brand now and have 1911 style experience.
Getting to the point ... much of my work involves crawling around, in, and under tight spaces. Carrying
in an inside the waistband holster several times I found the thumb safety had been somehow moved to the
fire position...even with a grip safety, that's not a good feeling.
I switched to Glocks and an LCP.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Sig 365X and I got it with the safety. Little gun, too close to my junk, heat of the moment usage is a trifecta for potential disaster. Not something I'm willing to risk. Can get a new safety free chassis for it for less than $100 and remove the safety and swap in the module in about 15m if I choose.

Last edited:

Gary Lee

Not a Fudd
My wife and I own and practice with various SA pistols. Some are equipped with manual safeties that we never use, because our first choice for carry are Glocks. And we don't want to condition our reflexes to using a manual safety, which could slow us down in an actual SD situation. So I suggest either exclusively using a manual safety, or don't use one, at least for PD.

FWIW, I like manual safeties IF they are frame-mounted & operate like a 1911 safety (up for safe, down for fire). There are a lot of other types out there (slide-mounted safeties are popular for some reason), but confusion regarding safety location & operation is the last thing I want or need.

As always IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Enigma

Hunter
I can use either one, but I slightly prefer the manual safety. The key thing is to train with what you carry, so that the manual of arms becomes automatic. Some of the younger firearms instructors not trained on or familiar with the 1911 have gone on record as stating that they are 'unsafe' and will get you killed because of the manual safety. They say that they can cite instances where a user stood there trying to make the gun fire without disengaging the thumb safety - with catastrophic results. I say it goes back to the old adage 'train like you fight.'

Here are a couple of my least favorite safety designs - you better be a "one handgun" person if you own & use one of these:

1708870428223.png

1708870391750.png

Iroc

Bearcat
When I'm out hunting with a shotgun or a rifle it's lightning fast to take the safety off, I've done it hundreds of times at game before I pulled the trigger. The pistol I use for conceal carry doesn't have a manual safety that I have to release before I shoot a target, I just draw and fire, I've done it hundreds of times. For me, if it did have a safety I don't think it would make any difference drawing it, putting it on target and pulling the trigger, after doing it hundreds of times. I don't think it matters what platform you choose, As stated above by others, "train with what you're going to use and become proficient with it".

s4s4u

Hunter
Absolutely! And, train with it. It becomes automatic. I do not like safeties on the slide tho. I prefer them in the same place as my 1911 and the thumb rides it.

You can't lump every semi auto handgun into the It's need's a manual safety. Many do not. Some may have one but don't need one. Read the manual or check the factory web site.
Although that was not the question it needs to be stated.
Manual safety, if it's needed I don't want the handgun. I learned many years to keep my finger off the trigger until I want/need the gun to fire. None of my DA revolvers have a manual safety. None of my semi autos either.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
You can't lump every semi auto handgun into the It's need's a manual safety. Many do not. Some may have one but don't need one. Read the manual or check the factory web site.
Although that was not the question it needs to be stated.
Manual safety, if it's needed I don't want the handgun. I learned many years to keep my finger off the trigger until I want/need the gun to fire. None of my DA revolvers have a manual safety. None of my semi autos either.
I think I know what your opinion will be, but how do you feel about magazine disconnects/safeties ? They were popular for a few years, but I think most manufacturers have discontinued them. I've removed them from a couple of my guns as soon as I got them home.

Latest posts