He's going to want to sit on that side of the table

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Garth69

Single-Sixer
A couple weeks back, I attended my final agency training meeting as sort of a 'going away party'. I was an observer/advisor for my replacement.
The replacement, another employee, and myself went out for lunch at an 'upscale' restaurant and as we reached our table, the other employee stopped his new 'boss' and nodding toward me said "He's going to want that side of the table". New guy had an odd look but moved around the table to sit.
As we were waiting on our food, he asked about the seating. I simply said "I don't sit with my back to the room". The other employee went into the details of why and it still didn't sink in with new guy but that's his problem, not mine. Awareness, tactical advantage, and attitude play a big part in personal safety.
he hasn't been where you've been.

I haven't even been 'where I've been' for quite some time and don't expect to be back there again BUT I don't forget how things can go bad very quickly.
It's just not that difficult to do what one can do to ensure a positive outcome should things go wrong.

eveled

Hawkeye
I try to avoid eating in restaurants going into bars or shopping at a mall.

Situational awareness is very good skill to have, but avoiding situations has its merits too.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I prefer to sit in a corner, facing the room. If the waitress tries to seat us near a window, my Spidey senses really start warning me. If there is not another table, we leave. My wife makes bets with my 10 year old son, on whether or not I will offend the waitress, but they both know I can't sit next to a window.

Another observation: When you walk into a restaurant (or any sort of gathering), do you 'read the room'? What I mean is: Do you stop/hesitate and check if someone is noticing or checking who just entered?