Mineral spirits in your case tumbler?????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I have seen several posters mention using mineral spirits in their case tumbling media, rather than "case polish".

How much mineral spirits do you typically use? Right now I'm using corn cob media, if that matters. I also use a cut up dryer sheet with each batch of brass that goes in the tumbler.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Actual: I use and recopmmend Dillon Rapid Polish, especially if you intend on storing the cleaned cases for (over) a dozen years.
I've recently tested Franklin Arsenal's polish, and it works well, giving me clean, shiny cases, but I don't have (over) a dozen years worth of history....

Mineral spirits are FLAMMABLE, so caution is mandatory.
I have used corn cob media and a 'bit' of mineral spirits to remove lead-bullet lube from loaded cartridges; it works wonderfully, but do NOT try it with LSWC-HP bullets (because you'll spent hours removing the media stuck in the hollowpoint cavity).
It also can gum up the sides of your cleaner's bowl (I have two cleaners).
Run about 20 minutes.

And remember, mineral spirits are flammable, and smelly.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
What WESHOOT2 said about mineral spirits. I have used Midway/Franklin Arsenal's polish for many many years, the cleaned/polished cases will last over a doz years.

sailorb

Single-Sixer
I use the mineral spirits/dryer sheet ritual every time I run a batch of cases thru my cleaner. Yeah, mineral spirits is flammable, but at the very low end of things. So are a whole lot of other things that are used in the shooting and reloading business. Think Hoppes 9. I use one cap full per load with 2 or three dryer sheets. The cases come out looking brand new. Not to try this, but I am guessing that you could stand over your tumbler with a blow torch and not get it to ignite.

kimberguy2004

Bearcat
My best results have aways been obtained by buying a product that was designed for the specific task that I wanted to do and then following the instructions..

sailorb

Single-Sixer
I use used ones. They catch all the grit and grime from the dirty cases and your media lasts a whole lot longer. They will come out almost balck from a large batch, but the media stays clean.

revhigh

Hawkeye
And collects lots of dirt and residue therefore allowing your media to last longer. It truly works ... you can use a used dryer sheet cut up into smaller pieces, at least that's how I do it.

REV

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Plus, it cuts down on any static charges that develop, especially in the plastic tumbler bowl. Drives me nuts when the media sticks to the plastic scoop I use to transfer media/cases to the sifter.

Latest posts