What is your minimum comfort zone for brass stock?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gnappi

Single-Sixer
For revolvers my minimum comfort zone for on hand brass is 500, 1000 is even better if I have two launching platforms and for automatics 2-3x that many. I avoid buying into calibers which do not have a parent cartridge just in case a caliber turns up out of style and brass becomes scarce. The few exceptions are the ubiquitous .357, .45ACP, and .38 super.

That said, last year I lucked into a short barreled Ruger SBH in .480 and immediately got to casting bullets but the seller only had a couple of boxes of brass and early last year was not a good time to be looking for 480 brass, Grrr... So I bought a couple of hundred Starline .475's and cut them down, and a purist on another site sold me a handful of Hornady brass which got me going to the range shooting instead of talking about it.

Recently Starline came through with a back order and between them and Midway I finally reached my comfort zone. So, what's your comfort zone in on hand brass stock?

For revolvers my minimum comfort zone for on hand brass is 500, 1000 is even better if I have two launching platforms and for automatics 2-3x that many. I avoid buying into calibers which do not have a parent cartridge just in case a caliber turns up out of style and brass becomes scarce. The few exceptions are the ubiquitous .357, .45ACP, and .38 super...

That's pretty much my approach, FWIW. Also, I learned years ago to not pass up range brass, so I've accumulated brass in a few calibers I don't shoot, and have been able to pass some of that on to friends during past shortages (I didn't own a .45 back during one of the Obama panics, so a coworker got all of my .45 acp cases).

Plus, I've got extra brass for some calibers - seems like folks don't much bother picking up 9mm cases at the range where I shoot, even though it's a rule there: pick up your own brass. So, I was able to pass along 600 9x19mm cases I had just picked up, to an out-of-state friend the last time I saw him.

Still working on getting enough brass for my own use, for a few less-common calibers like 44!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Enigma

Hunter
I pretty much share the OP's mindset. I just finished trimming the last of my .475 Linebaugh brass to .480 length last night. I hope to never be in that position again! Rifles, now - that's another matter. For gas guns like the .223, I prefer to have 3-5K pieces of brass on hand. But, I have been called a hoarder, too.

Last edited:

epags

Single-Sixer
Rifles:
223 ---1,500 pieces with 5X powder, 1X projectiles and 2X primers
243 --- 200 pieces with 5X powder, 3X projectiles and 1-1/2X primers
To extend the life of the brass, I also have an annealing machine
@ 84 years old I think this will last me. My grandson, when he does claim these rifles, can buy his own components.:cool:

epags

Single-Sixer
Just for S&Gs
brass.jpg

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Are we talking about pieces, pounds, or buckets? :unsure:
Pounds and buckets.

A few years ago a local shooter decided to move over from .38 Super to revolver shooting and sold me a 5 gallon bucket of Super brass for not much more than the price of the empty bucket. I added that bucket to the buckets of .45, .40, and .357 mag I have :)

I just moved a big share of my brass supply from basement to the new shop building. Grandson helped on about half of the job but still took a long time. Keep in mind, some of the time was spent checking, labeling, and sorting the dozens of containers into caliber groups. I use empty Folgers plastic containers for most of the brass(the café in the little town where I worked went through 2-3 per week and I got all the empties).

gnappi

Single-Sixer
My GF was giving me the grande size (43.5 oz) Folgers containers for some of my odd unused calibers like .38 special, 9mm and .44 special but I needed room and gave away the "dinky" caliber brass. I hate to recycle them but I will... someday :)

Rich/KY

Bearcat
I keep a few hundred for each of my rifles, maybe 800 or so for my 38 and probably 3K for my 45 ACP. Also have enough powder and primers to load what I need. The only reason I have so much 45 is people left it on the range and I couldn't leave it. For the 45 have about 1K of the SP brass in case LP primers get hard to find, I'm turning 74 and figure I'm set for life and will have a lot left for my son.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I find it hard to not pick up any brass i find while up kicking around in the woods. So i have buckets and coffee cans and boxes and bags full of sorted and not yet sorted brass. So i have enough to get by on but always like finding the unusual not commonly found cartridges.

Last edited: