Used brass ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief

Single-Sixer
same here, I check every mm inside and out, the guy in the story was probably using a progressive press.....I do single stage, I take my time....quality over quantity
I also have progressive press and I find that for various reasons I don't use it much. Most probably because my reloading volume is lower than what makes the machine practical for. I use a single stage to deprime my cases before I clean them. I use the old school vibratory tumbler with corn cob media. I then sort them, making sure there aren't any debris in them, size and store.
I have been toying with the idea of the wet pin method but I haven't found a pressing need for it.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
When a SS pin is left behind,, it's often because the person doing the cleaning,, did NOT make sure of getting all the pins out.

By using a wet clean waster wash twice,, then drying in a dehumidifier,, it gets them all out. But I'm also constantly shaking the container with the brass,, just in case a pin gets left behind in a case. And lastly,, it's EASY to take any brass,, stand them up in an ammo tray,, and shake them, a bit before loading.
Bottle neck cases can capture a SS pin easier than a straight walled case.

What is the advantage of washing then tumbling? Do they shoot better if they are super clean? I can tell you, they don't.
If you're that worried about it then get a wet tumbler or an ultrasonic.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
I've had the same container of Hornady crushed pecan shell media for over a dozen years. I rejuvenate it every now and then with a cap full of Flitz. My brass comes out great. I like new looking brass but its not the aesthetics I'm concerned with. I like the peace of mind I get running clean brass through my dies.

Chief

Single-Sixer
I tried crush walnut shells once. Still have them but the dust that is raised in a vibratory cleaner is something I don't want to deal with. The cases came out clean but they had to be wiped off. I use the flitz in my corncob though.

OLE_X_ME

Bearcat
I tried crush walnut shells once. Still have them but the dust that is raised in a vibratory cleaner is something I don't want to deal with. The cases came out clean but they had to be wiped off. I use the flitz in my corncob though.
i don't know if this will help or not, but i was inquiring at other reloading sites, about cleaning my brass in a vibrator cleaner as well. i use fine crushed walnut media, not the coarse.

several members told me that they use "once used dryer sheets", (never a fresh clean new sheet) when they have brass in the cleaning media.

so...i use that as method well.

i cut a "once used dryer sheet" in half, dump in the brass, cover the vibrator cleaner, with its lid, then clean for about 1 hour. (my usual running time)

i can see dust collected in the dryer sheet, as well as carbon.

when done, remove the used up dryer sheet, toss away, use another "once used" dryer sheet for the next time

i get my money's worth out of dryer sheets for sure. an added plus too, is my media stays cleaner longer, by removing some of that carbon.

Maverick

Bearcat
I use water….add a squirt of Dawn dish liquid/white vinegar(mandatory),lemishine(optional).
Put the brass in a Tupperware bowel w/lid and shake it all about for a min or two. Rinse…place on a metallic child's food tray in the sun. Never had a need to do more than that.

I don't like having to pick walnut out of my primer pockets and steel pins can get stuck inside of cases…none of that in my method and cases are plenty clean.

Last edited:

Latest posts