Mk I grips/mags questions???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

halflife

Bearcat
So I just picked up a NIB 1978 Mk I and I am wanting to pick up some grips and mags.

First up is the grips, will Mk II grips fit on the Mk I? I know about the cut out on the left grip for the Mk II. Looking to buy the mags in the link below:
Mk II/III grips

Second are the mags, will Mk II mags work in a Mk I?

Where are you guys buying mags from that will work in a Mk I?

Thanks!!!!

wwb

Hunter
If it's a 1978 gun, you'll find "A-100" stamped on the grip frame under the grip panels. If so, Mark II grips will fit just fine.

The 9-round magazines with the chrome-plated bottom are the original first-generation magazines. The later 9-round mags with the grey plastic bottom will fit either first generation or Mark II by reversing the follower button.

I dunno about the 10-round mags.

ranger1

Buckeye
Welcome to the forum. :)

MK II grips will not work on the MK II. The screw holes won't match.

I'm almost certain the the MK II mags will work in the MK I, but you might have to reverse the follower button.

Here is a link to Midwayusa for Mk I Magazines. You can also purchase mags from Ruger @ shopruger.com.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=197678

halflife

Bearcat
wwb said:
If it's a 1978 gun, you'll find "A-100" stamped on the grip frame under the grip panels. If so, Mark II grips will fit just fine.

It does have "A-100" stamped on the frame.

But, My understanding is that the late Mk I (A100 frame) screw holes align with Mk II grips, but there may be an issue with the hammer pivot pin. Apparently, the Mk II pin has a large head which requires a clearance cut in the left grip. If the Mk II grip is used used on a Mk I, will the Mk I's pin back out?

halflife

Bearcat
ranger1 said:

So, your saying the screw holes won't align between the Mk I's and the
Mark II's?

ranger1

Buckeye
halflife said:
ranger1 said:

So, your saying the screw holes won't align between the Mk I's and the
Mark II's?

I phrased that wrong. The screw holes will line up if you have an A-100 frame. Sorry about that!

wwb

Hunter
The only odd cutout I'm aware of in the Mark II grips is for the bolt release (which ain't there on the first generation), and it won't affect opewration at all.

ranger1 - the early grip frames on the first generation (marked "A-59", I believe) had the screw locations in a different spot. The later first gen pistols had the grip frame stamped "A-100", and have the same screw locations as the Mark II.

ranger1

Buckeye
wwb said:
The only odd cutout I'm aware of in the Mark II grips is for the bolt release (which ain't there on the first generation), and it won't affect opewration at all.

ranger1 - the early grip frames on the first generation (marked "A-59", I believe) had the screw locations in a different spot. The later first gen pistols had the grip frame stamped "A-100", and have the same screw locations as the Mark II.

There is a cut-out for the hammer pivot pin on the MK II Grip and I agree, won't affect operation on the MK I.

I also agree on the screw holes lining up on the A-100 frame.

halflife

Bearcat
ranger1 said:
wwb said:

There is a cut-out for the hammer pivot pin on the MK II Grip and I agree, won't affect operation on the MK I.

I also agree on the screw holes lining up on the A-100 frame.

I appreciate all your guys input.

You mentioned what I was speaking about in my prior post, that there is a cut out for the hammer pivot pin on the MK II grip. Have you actually mounted a set of MK II grips on a MK I and the pivot pin had no issues with backing out?

wwb

Hunter
halflife said:
........ Have you actually mounted a set of MK II grips on a MK I and the pivot pin had no issues with backing out?

Never on a Mark I, but I have a set of the Mark II laminated checkered thumbrest grips on an RST-6; same thing mechanically... no problems in about 10 years and several thousand rounds, so I'm guessing it's good to go.

ranger1

Buckeye
halflife said:
You mentioned what I was speaking about in my prior post, that there is a cut out for the hammer pivot pin on the MK II grip. Have you actually mounted a set of MK II grips on a MK I and the pivot pin had no issues with backing out?

I have a MK I, A-100 grip frame and a MK II.
I just tried the MK II grip on the MK I and it fit perfectly. As far as the hammer pivot pin backing out..... I suppose it's possible.

halflife

Bearcat
ranger1 said:
halflife said:

I have a MK I, A-100 grip frame and a MK II.
I just tried the MK II grip on the MK I and it fit perfectly. As far as the hammer pivot pin backing out..... I suppose it's possible.

My question to you is when you put the MK II grips on the MK I, do the grips still cover a portion of the hammer pivot pin? I know the factory MK I grips cover about half of the pin on each side of the frame, wondering if the MK II grips still do the same thing?

ranger1

Buckeye
halflife said:
My question to you is when you put the MK II grips on the MK I, do the grips still cover a portion of the hammer pivot pin? I know the factory MK I grips cover about half of the pin on each side of the frame, wondering if the MK II grips still do the same thing?

They cover about half of the hammer pivot pin on both sides, but on the left side there is about a 1/8" gap between the frame and the grip to allow space for the larger extended hammer pivot pin on the MK II. I hope this makes sense!

halflife

Bearcat
I see what you are saying, your explanation makes perfect sense to me. I am sure I can find a way to add some wood putty and stain it to match the grips so the 1/8" gap is gone.

I appreciate all your guys help on this.

halflife

Bearcat
wwb said:
The later 9-round mags with the grey plastic bottom will fit either first generation or Mark II by reversing the follower button.

The Mark I mags offered on Midway are 9 rounders but they say they fit Mark 1, pre A100 with unstamped grip frame. So where are you guys finding factory ruger mags for the MK I if the one's on Midway are not correct?

ranger1

Buckeye
You can buy them from Ruger, here's the link.

http://shopruger.com/Magazines-Loaders/products/15/

The Mk I mags from Midway will also work, but you might have reverse the follower knob if it's for the old style. I bought a Ruger MK I mag from a local gun shop and it worked like a champ.... Ruger part no M-9 (90062).

I forgot to mention.........read the customer reviews for the magazine from Midway.

yes, they will fit and work, and "if" the pins on the Mk I (RST;s) are "loose" or undersized, when you have a Mark II grip on a Mark I ( RST) guns ,YES< the pins can and will shift out to the left and dissable the gun...gotta put a 'filler" or such in the Mark II grip cutouts (relief) to "fill" this void.............
and yes, the Magz are reversible, and usable between the two guns, it is the early ,single slot, A-54 magz that will not work, and the button for the follower needs to be BIGGER to make the "hold open" work on the MK IIs................
easy to spot the difference in the frames by the location of the BOTTOM two holes, they are 'reversed'...........(A-54 vs. A-100 or Mk II...)

Yes, the MK IIs holds 10 rounds (versus 9 for the older, RST/Mk I)

NO< the MK II does NOT make the MK I "hold open".............

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I'm confused. Which is not unusual in itself, but I was about to purchase a Mk I Target today, possibly tomorrow.

How about someone with experience on both guns makes up a guide in easy-to-understand parlance.

ranger1

Buckeye
mohavesam said:
I'm confused. Which is not unusual in itself, but I was about to purchase a Mk I Target today, possibly tomorrow.

How about someone with experience on both guns makes up a guide in easy-to-understand parlance.

Do you mean something like this? :)

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=934