Name your favorite actor & actress with their best movie.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
Snake45 I think if you watch Ride the High Country again you will see some great details like Joel McCrea placing a dime bet and retrieving the dime or his frayed cuffs in the bank as he meets the bankers.
The Chinese restaurant scene is good and the exchange at the dinner table on the way to the gold camp is interesting and the mining town has all the slimy characters you could ever want.
I clearly remember Kris Kristofferson's "dime joke" in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, yet another fine Sam Peckinpah film, so I think I'd enjoy RtHC now. I'll make the effort to see it on your say-so. Thanks! ;)

wv.citybilly

Bearcat
Sam Rockwell

I don't necessarily have a favorite film, but where most actors play the same character and it's the movie that changes, the versatility Sam Rockwell takes on is indeed rare.

gunzo

Hunter
Grew up watching Eastwood, so hard to deny. Later, Burt Lancaster & Lee Marvin both got my attention & when they did The Professionals together it became a fave.

Actresses? followed this or that one for various reasons, but think Diane Cilento stole every scene from the famous Paul Newman in "Hombre". Don't know if it was the script or her delivery, but she nailed some great, quotable stuff. Maybe not my favorite actress, but a memorable one for sure.

Well, TODAY, I guess I'd have to say Tom Hanks in A Man Called Otto.

Another day I might say Steve McQueen or Clint Eastwood or somebody else and name another movie entirely.

For actress, I'll take Lena Heady--mainly for her TV work (Game of Thrones, Sarah Connor Chronicles) but she was great in 300, too, so that counts. ;)
@Snake45 Could not make it through A Man Called Otto. Normally I do like Tom Hanks though, but that one wasn't his best at all.

Favorite for me? Not sure, I tend to like directors more. My wife and I both like Guy Ritchie movies and Quinten Tarantino movies. They use similar actors across their different movies, so I suppose I do have favorites.

I may be like many in that it depends on what I recently watched, now for a great male and female pairing and movie Bringing Up Baby with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn is hard to beat.

Although I love Night of the Hunter and Mitchum was great I do believe the best line was Rachel Cooper/Lillian Gish after she blast him with a shotgun and calls the cops:

Get your state troopers out here, I got something trapped in my barn.

ProfessorWes

Hawkeye
It's hard for me to pick a favorite actor/actress or favorite movie, although my favorite movies tend to feature knockout performances by all involved.

One of those personal favorite films is LA Confidential, based on a sprawling noirish mess of a James Ellroy novel that was stripped down, souped up and populated by an ensemble of actors and actresses that were just perfect for their roles: Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, Kim Basinger, Kevin Spacey, Danny de Vito and more. I've always enjoyed it, even after all the horrible stuff about Spacey's private life came out. Perfect cast; perfect acting; perfect pacing; perfect screenplay; perfect cinematography.

Another one is We Were Soldiers, with Mel Gibson, for much the same reasons. I've liked Mad Mel ever since Mad Max, but I thought this was a standout performance even by his standards. (And ditto Sam Elliott.)

While we're talking about Mad Mel: Add Braveheart to that list. Right at the top of that list, as a matter of fact.

Speaking of perfect films: the original Die Hard, which was the perfect action movie (and a pretty good Christmas movie, too). Again: perfectly cast, perfectly acted; perfectly paced, perfectly written and filmed. And with one of my favorite screen villains, Alan Rickman, stealing the show along with his tag-team partner and henchman Alexander Godunov.

I'll also nominate the late Rutger Hauer, in pretty much everything. Although he really needed a better agent, especially in the latter stages of his career (*koff*Hobo With A Shotgun*koff*).

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
@Snake45 Could not make it through A Man Called Otto. Normally I do like Tom Hanks though, but that one wasn't his best at all.
Oh I thought it was fabulous. I recognized fairly early on that it's basically a kinder, gentler version of Clint Eastwood's Grand Torino. I liked it so much that immediately upon finishing it, I watched it AGAIN, and enjoyed it even more the second time.

The second time I was watching it, The Lovely Mrs. Snake walked into the room during a scene when Otto was being particularly cranky and annoyed with everyone. "Who's this remind you of?" I asked. Didn't take her ten seconds to come up with the correct answer: "You!" And she was right! I AM a cranky old white guy who has his own way of doing things, and reasons for doing them that way, and don't care much for strangers and idiots.

It's a shame you couldn't make it through. Things are revealed throughout the movie that bring everything together, and it's amazing to watch how things unfold. ;)

Harry Dean Stanton in Paris, Texas
1692326621528.png

Rita Hayworth and Orson Wells in Lady from Shanghai
1692326928592.png

KIR

Sparks, NV
Silent:
Actress: Clara BowMovie: Wings
Actor: None
Trivia: First movie to ever win an academy award. Gary Coopers first movie role as pilot traniee White

Talkie:
Actress: Deborah Kerr
Actor: Stewart Granger.
Movie: King Solomon's Mines
TRIVIA: First movie to win an Academy Award was WINGS...and Gary Cooper was awesome in his role. He walked in and his presence was phenomenal!

Rod Stieger in "The Heat of the Night" and "The Pawnbroker". Not really my favorite, but worth noting. Also Robert Shaw in "Jaws". And a sentimental favorite, Richard Dreyfuss in "Down and Out in Beverly Hills".

In truth, as a movie fan, there are far too many great movies and great actors for me to pick a true favorite. I will end this post by saying Daniel Day Lewis in almost anything he has ever done, but especially "The Last of the Mohicans".

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Oh yeah! Robert Redford and Paul Newman in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

And Van Johnson in Battleground.

The movie Halls of Montezuma always interests me as it has so many budding actors. Also starring: Martin Milnor, Richard Boone, Carl Malden, Jack Webb, and Jack Palance.

Bob Wright