Name your favorite actor & actress with their best movie.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
Gregory Peck, 12 O clock High. My uncle got two puppies from Peck when he was a kid.

Ben Johnson, the most believable and under rated cowboy that was ever in a weatern

And Paul Newman!
+1 on Ben Johnson. Along those same lines is Bruce Dern, another under rated cowboy. The best thing I ever saw him in was an episode of Big Valley where he and his not so clever partner were trying to open and rob a safe in a stage station and Audra and Victoria were caught in the middle of it all.

The Sand Pebbles. So many great actors in it.
Steve McQueen of course and Richard Crenna
Candice Burgan
The book by Richard McKenna was fantastic. He was a Chief Machinist's Mate in the Navy and also wrote a collection of short stories that were compiled under the titles of "The Sons of Martha" or "The Left Handed Monkey Wrench". Sadly he died at the age of 51. I am sure he would have had a distinguished career as a writer if he had lived longer.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
Ben Johnson in "The Last Picture Show" is one of the finest roles ever played in a movie. His acceptance speech at the Academy Awards was excellent.
I mainly think of Ben Johnson as a corrupt Texas politician in The Getaway--another great Sam Peckinpah film. ;) (y)

Snake45

The book by Richard McKenna was fantastic. He was a Chief Machinist's Mate in the Navy and also wrote a collection of short stories that were compiled under the titles of "The Sons of Martha" or "The Left Handed Monkey Wrench". Sadly he died at the age of 51. I am sure he would have had a distinguished career as a writer if he had lived longer.
I've read the book twice, and seen the movie at least twice--seen bits and pieces of it many times. Both are absolutely outstanding.

McQueen was more than just "The King of Cool," he was a DAMN fine actor and left an amazing body of work--Bullitt, The Getaway, The Great Escape, The Hunter, The Magnificent Seven, Papillon, The War Lover, The Sand Pebbles, and I'm sure I'm forgetting just as many more. He left us far too soon. :cry:

ETA: Just remembered, he also did an amazing episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

KIR

Sparks, NV
+1 on Ben Johnson. Along those same lines is Bruce Dern, another under rated cowboy. The best thing I ever saw him in was an episode of Big Valley where he and his not so clever partner were trying to open and rob a safe in a stage station and Audra and Victoria were caught in the middle of it all.
Bruce Dern was awesome in Silent Running, a (surprise) sci-fi movie.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
Favorite movie I just stumbled upon..... Whiplash.... ( an awesome movie with Goose's kid from Top Gun and J-Jonah Jameson from Spiderman )

Your wife or girlfriend will love it too ..... ( maybe both will ) :)

so many great movie suggestions…great thread. Try Cowboy from 1958….Glen Ford & Jack Lemmon. Ford, I've read, could ride and shoot like the real deal.
I will watch anything with James Garner, John Wayne and Clint Eastwood

Snake45

Great trio! I could watch a different great movie every day for a month--maybe two--just with those three guys in it. ;)

There have been numerous movies that I truly thought were great. For the man is is a tossup between John Wayne in the Searchers and Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven. On the ladies side it would be Sissy Spacek in Coal Miners Daughter

ProfessorWes

Hawkeye
Rod Stieger in "The Heat of the Night" and "The Pawnbroker". Not really my favorite, but worth noting. Also Robert Shaw in "Jaws". And a sentimental favorite, Richard Dreyfuss in "Down and Out in Beverly Hills".

In truth, as a movie fan, there are far too many great movies and great actors for me to pick a true favorite. I will end this post by saying Daniel Day Lewis in almost anything he has ever done, but especially "The Last of the Mohicans".
The Last of the Mohicans also had one of the best soundtracks ever.

ProfessorWes

Hawkeye
Grew up watching Eastwood, so hard to deny. Later, Burt Lancaster & Lee Marvin both got my attention & when they did The Professionals together it became a fave.

Actresses? followed this or that one for various reasons, but think Diane Cilento stole every scene from the famous Paul Newman in "Hombre". Don't know if it was the script or her delivery, but she nailed some great, quotable stuff. Maybe not my favorite actress, but a memorable one for sure.
Oh yeah, Lee Marvin. Too many good movies to count, but my two favorites of his are probably The Dirty Dozen and Prime Cut.

1692402830336.png

Last edited:
so many great movie suggestions…great thread. Try Cowboy from 1958….Glen Ford & Jack Lemmon. Ford, I've read, could ride and shoot like the real deal.
Cowboy was an excellent movie. The interaction between Glenn Ford and Jack Lemmon was interesting as Jack hardened up and Glenn began to become more compassionate.
Another good movie is the comic western "The Rounders" with Glenn Ford and Henry Fonda. The ladies in the movie are great as well

Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall in To Have and Have Not,
or
Humphrey Bogart and the beautiful Ingrid Bergmann in Casablanca
It is remarkable that she was 19 when she made that movie (her first) with Bogie. Bogie didn't have a chance.
Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall in To Have and Have Not,
or
Humphrey Bogart and the beautiful Ingrid Bergmann in Casablanca

Latest posts