New 77/22 Problems....Just great

Help Support Ruger Forum:

EMD

Bearcat
Bought a brand new 77/22 yesterday.

Used the Ruger provided scope rings and mounted up a Leopold scope.

Did a bore sight and had to crank both the elevation and windage to the max to get it sighted.

Go to the range today and find out I can't turn them far enough to get zeroed.

On top of that, the rifle shot all over the place. Sometimes above the target sometimes below. This is at the same range and table that I was shooting 1" groups with my .308 hunting rifle.

I am pissed and about fed up with Ruger.

My last purchase was a 22/45 that had to go back the day after I bought it since the trigger wouldn't work and I got it back with the worst trigger pull I have on any gun.

Someone please give me some hope!!

mattsbox99

Hunter
And to think, I'm 0-65 (or so) in defective Rugers. In all the Ruger's I own and have owned, the only issue I've ever had was one cracked stock that Ruger replaced for free.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
Try re-mounting the scope and make sure the rings are tight on the gun. It is part of human nature to forget things. Also make sure the scope is not hitting the rear sight if it has one I had to take my sight off it even hit flipped down. Lastly check and make sure you got the right rings they should be the same hieght front and back. Just trying to help.

EMD

Bearcat
I appreciate the suggestions. I didn't mention that after the bore sight issues, I removed both rings, checked for defects, reinstalled the rings in reverse from where they were and reinstalled the scope. Still had the same issue.

I will try a different scope, but this Leopould was used previously on my hunting rifle with no issues.

Sadly, I am pretty sure this is a rifle issue.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Ditto on re-checking things. The best thing to do imo is take the scope and rings off and start over. Make sure the rings are setting on the reciever square and make sure the ring halves are matched with eachother and not flipped around. The rings are a mated set and tops go to thier own bottom. You can tell by holding them in the light to match them up. If remounting doesnt do the trick it may be the scope. Try another.

If all else fails , it is possible it is the rifle. I had a rifle that had the scope cuts machined improperly on the reciever once. It is rare but can happen. If that is the case Ruger will destroy the reciever and replace with a new gun for you.

Don't let frustration get the best of you here. It's tough not to let it I know! The 77/22's are awesome so don't give up quite yet. As far as grouping goes , when you get the issue ironed out with the scope , try some Winchester 40gr power point ammo and you should be a happy camper.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm with mattsbox99. I have quite a few Rugers "north" of his numbers. And in all these years, I've only had ONE major issue. It was an issue that baffled Ruger for a few years before they figured out the problem. Mine was a barrel seperation on a Redhawk. Beyond that, I can think of only one minor issue in well over 100 guns. I'm not saying that occasionally a proble gun gets away from the factory, (as it does with every manufacturer,) but I'm smart enough to realize that it's a mass produced, reasonably priced, mechanical object. An occasional issue can be handled.

pappyd

Bearcat
Since you say is shoots all over the place, that would lead me to suspect that the scope is moving. Sounds like a scope ring problem to me. Could be the install or perhaps you received the wrong rings from Ruger or some gun shop personnel did a switcheroo on you.

ultramag44

Bearcat
The bores in the Ruger rings may not be in alignment. if that is the case, then the scope tube has side-flex. Zeroing will be night impossible, and the groups will resemble shotgun patterns.

if the rings leave marks on the scope tube, there is @ least some degrre of mis-alignment.

NOT the answer you want to hear, but, if all else fails; use Ruger-to-Weaver adapters and Burris Signature Zee rings (w/ synthetic + /- insert kit.

These are all very good answers. From time to time I have had to remount a scope to get it shooting correctly. Not quite sure why but it has happened to me twice that I can remember. Perhaps it is just the inherent nature of the mounting system. Base to gun rings to scope to base. I know you have the ring grooves machined directly into the receiver, but still there is room for error. I bet the gun is ok and the pro lemon lies with the scope and or rings.

Latest posts