New survival rifle thread

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I had an old Charter Arms AR-7 and it was a Jam-O-Matic...... I hope Henry makes them better today
Out of curiosity, how many rounds did you put through it before condeming the AR-7? Mine was problematic at first. but once I shot it enough to smooth it out, and found the ammo it liked reliability was on a par with any .22 lr rifle. Heck, It's better than my Marlin 39 Centenial.

Another Ruger
20231006_041737.jpg

I had an old Charter Arms AR-7 and it was a Jam-O-Matic...... I hope Henry makes them better today
The Henry AR7 is much better than the Charter Arms version. The earlier Henry models would jam but they have slightly changed the chamber and now they are good as long as the barrel is screwed on tightly.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
Out of curiosity, how many rounds did you put through it before condeming the AR-7? Mine was problematic at first. but once I shot it enough to smooth it out, and found the ammo it liked reliability was on a par with any .22 lr rifle. Heck, It's better than my Marlin 39 Centenial.
It was really old and beat up....plastic was all cracked and the finish on the metal was very worn....It would jam every 2 rounds ....It wasn't worth replacing all the plastic parts and refinishing the metal vs. buying a new one so I gave it away.....( which reminds me.... I need to buy a new Henry )

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I have relied on a Winchester 94AE in 3030 for years. It has undergone what I refer to as incremental improvements over time. It has a scout scope mounted in front of the receiver so I can still carry it in one hand, pre-rebound hammer trigger and lower tang so the button safety does not work anymore, the trigger is much lighter and I get zero FTF like the rebounding hammer had. All of the internals were filed, sanded, stoned, reassembled and levered many times with Brasso in the action. I wanted it to be quick and loose like the 1960 model that I sold in the eighties. I have four distinctly different handloads that make this rifle pretty handy to use in most situations. I sometimes wish it had the 16 inch barrel, but the long magazine would look stupid and the short mag is not an option.

Last edited:
It was really old and beat up....plastic was all cracked and the finish on the metal was very worn....It would jam every 2 rounds ....It wasn't worth replacing all the plastic parts and refinishing the metal vs. buying a new one so I gave it away.....( which reminds me.... I need to buy a new Henry )
So an aluminum and plastic (yea, the barrel is lined) firearm designed for relatively limited use that has been trashed failed. Gee, I wonder why. But if that's the standard what you condem an entire model Let's condem everything, because I'm sure there are destroyed examples of every firearm that has a high failure rate.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
So an aluminum and plastic (yea, the barrel is lined) firearm designed for relatively limited use that has been trashed failed. Gee, I wonder why. But if that's the standard what you condem an entire model Let's condem everything, because I'm sure there are destroyed examples of every firearm that has a high failure rate.
Uhhhhh.......'Condem' ???.......Ok....... I just gave it to my friend who wanted it.....I don't want to Condem anything...

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Depending on the circumstances, I would say my wife's PC9 or my AR556. But for survival in a natural disaster, "Live-in-the-woods" scenario either one of the 10-22 (would take down everything up to deer) or my 300 Mag (use it for everything from ground squirrels to elk).

It is always interesting to see and read the choices and like comes up what specifically is the scenario. Prepare like in @BearBiologist case of game getting or two legged the possibilities abound. I admit that I do keep an SKS carbine and 400 rounds or so of ammunition for it in the trunk, with part of that amount already loaded into stripper clips and the bandoliers both as you find at gun shows.

coach

Hunter
The Henry AR7 is much better than the Charter Arms version. The earlier Henry models would jam but they have slightly changed the chamber and now they are good as long as the barrel is screwed on tightly.
I must have an early Henry because mine jammed so much it hasn't been shot in 20 years. I wouldn't want to depend on it for anything much less survival. My 10/22 has jammed less in the entire time I've had it than the AR-7 has in one outing.

I must have an early Henry because mine jammed so much it hasn't been shot in 20 years. I wouldn't want to depend on it for anything much less survival. My 10/22 has jammed less in the entire time I've had it than the AR-7 has in one outing.
Look at the chamber and if it's round you have an earlier one. If there is a slight ramp at the bottom like this. The early Henry AR7's were made in Bayonne New Jersey and the current ones are made in Rice Lake Wisconsin. If you have the early barrel you can order a new one with the ramp or as a friend of mine who was a tool and die maker did, you can carefully relieve the mouth of the chamber by reaming it. He made a tool to do the job but he has since gotten dementia and his wife sold all of his stuff including guns and tools.
1000000354.jpg
it's a newer model.

coach

Hunter
Look at the chamber and if it's round you have an earlier one. If there is a slight ramp at the bottom like this. The early Henry AR7's were made in Bayonne New Jersey and the current ones are made in Rice Lake Wisconsin. If you have the early barrel you can order a new one with the ramp or as a friend of mine who was a tool and die maker did, you can carefully relieve the mouth of the chamber by reaming it. He made a tool to do the job but he has since gotten dementia and his wife sold all of his stuff including guns and tools. View attachment 31114it's a newer model.
My barrel has a small divot for a ramp. Not nearly as wide or as deep as in the picture shown. Maybe I'll try to work on mine and see if it helps

RSIno1

Hunter
I've got a Charter Arms AR7 I bought for our daughter when she was little. I think it was on sale for $39.99. And, I agree I hope Henry improved them. I've also got a ChiCom knockoff of the little Browning take down - $50 years ago and I still haven't shot it.