Survival guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I don't see how People here would consider that "hunting". When I'm talking about hunting with a .22 LR. Revolver, I'm not talking about shooting Wild "Pets". ( Or farm Pigs ).

I would certainly like to see video of someone here hunting wild boars with a .22 Lr revolver!!
This thread is about survival....keep up. It's not about traditional hunting,
Believe me, if you, or your family member was hungry, you'd be more then happy to screw the barrel of your .22 handgun into the ear of that deer and pull the trigger. smh

buckaroo

Banned
Believe me, if you, or your family member was hungry, you'd be more then happy to screw the barrel of your .22 handgun into the ear of that deer and pull the trigger. smh

Valid point, hunger will drive most to do anything including cannibalism. When the real SHTF in this country happens they'll be eating anything that moves. The seniors and handicapped will go first, you'll kiss grandpa on the forehead then cut his throat and boil 'em.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
Personally, my "survival" gun (I actually have an emergency kit it goes with) is a S&W 627 (8rd 357/38spl). For rifles, I have a takedown Winchester 92 in 357 mag. That gun has taken turkey deer bear and uncountable squirrels/raccoons.

jgt

Buckeye
The thing about survival that has to be taken into consideration is the firearm has to work in the very worst of conditions. What if you ......... It is your life. If you think an autoloading firearm will work for you, then bet your life on it. I would, however, take one out on a test run for a month in the wilderness and see how it holds up without the support from your bench at home. I prefer a single shot or revolver, but I want no say in what you choose. The idea about the contender with say a 45/410 barrel and a twenty-two barrel would fit what I am talking about. A single six and single shot rifle. The 357 revolver and lever would work but I would choose the long gun in a single shot like CVA, handy rifle, or Henry. One factor that was mentioned was weight. The handier, lighter without sacrificing reliability, a firearm can be, will work better in this situation. The gun must be able to work when wet, muddy, dusty, frozen, or banged around. To get from point a to b, you may have to swim, wade though swamp slim, or across desert like terrain. You may slide down a mountain side or any number of conditions. This is not even taking into account if you have to evade being found.
During this time, the first three to four days you will cling to your urban ways and values. After that you will eat and drink things you never thought you could. Many will give up and die the first time they get heat exhaustion. Those who survive will give up the idea of rest and comfort and chose to go on even if they only die in the end. Once you accept death and decide to go as far as you can anyway, you have a chance. You can live a long time on nearly no food at all or very little. It is water that is the key. You need it on a regular basis and you need to know how to find it and when you do find it , you need to drink it. If you drink water with unhealthy things in it you will become weaker. That is better anticipated and prepared for ahead of time with what you are carrying. That was the weak point in my survival experience. Drink bad water, and you have bad experience. Make room for whatever it take to have good water even at the expense of firearm or ammunition.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Somehow I managed to miss out on getting one of the campers companions. I would love to have one that is 22 over 20 guage. The one in my picture above is 410 as you can see and I don't much care for the 410. I love the 20 guage though. I don't know why more company's don't make these type guns. To me the perfect one would be 22 over 20 with synthetic stock, 18 inch barrels, stainless steel and storage in the stock.
My first gun was a 22 mag over 3 inch 20 gauge. For a 1 long gun restriction there were a few 24's made in 30-30 over 12 gauge. Then a 22 handgun ( I have a SW 18 ).

My idea of a real survival gun (rifle) would be a Ruger Scout or Tikki T3x Arctic style rifle. Survival can be getting out of a city or back to a city from the backcountry. My wants are enough power to take down a human and big game, bolt action, detachable magazine fed, rear peep sight, 308 win.
Heck with ruining to much meat, taking down a big game animal. That's what I would be shooting. Take what I need and can consume and move on. Really any gun will do as a survival gun as long as it works and you have ammo. Small and light weight have there merits and also limitations. I don't have an airplane, but in my Hummer, truck or boat I normally have a rifle or shotgun that can be a survival gun. Depends on where I am going and why as to the gun I take. I keep ammo, a bug out pack and one gun in the RV.

My idea of a real survival gun (rifle) would be a Ruger Scout or Tikki T3x Arctic style rifle. Survival can be getting out of a city or back to a city from the backcountry. My wants are enough power to take down a human and big game, bolt action, detachable magazine fed, rear peep sight, 308 win.
Heck with ruining to much meat, taking down a big game animal. That's what I would be shooting. Take what I need and can consume and move on. Really any gun will do as a survival gun as long as it works and you have ammo. Small and light weight have there merits and also limitations. I don't have an airplane, but in my Hummer, truck or boat I normally have a rifle or shotgun that can be a survival gun. Depends on where I am going and why as to the gun I take. I keep ammo, a bug out pack and one gun in the RV.
View attachment 8376

buckaroo

Banned
Heck with ruining to much meat, taking down a big game animal. That's what I would be shooting. Take what I need and can consume and move on.

I suspect to many YouTube videos and survival blogs. Remember that expression 'head for the hills', you'll have at best 2 weeks before the food runs out in the cities, then the rats are heading your way. By week 4 there will not be anything left bigger than a mouse. And your RV will be out of gas.

I live in the hills. Food will be gone in the cities in a fews days not weeks. Getting out of a city could be mostly on foot for city folk. Not me. No, I don't watch you tubes, never seen a survival blog. Maybe I should start one, just kidding.
I forgot to mention the rv needs diesel to move, it's solar and batteries keeps the other stuff working.

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Here are my survival guns. The first one I got around 1958 and is still accurate for squirrel head shots. The second one is a typical survival 'take down' and has survived since it was made in 1911. Both will shoot any brand, any weight, and NEVER hiccup.

IMHO of course :)
J.

buckaroo

Banned
I live in the hills. Food will be gone in the cities in a fews days not weeks. Getting out of a city could be mostly on foot for city folk. Not me. No, I don't watch you tubes, never seen a survival blog. Maybe I should start one, just kidding maybe you could.

Remember to save a bullet for yourself and no the militia can't save you in Idaho or the rich transplants from California.

Maybe a 20mm firing API rounds would be better for you than a wrangler for hunting?
Don't own a Wrangler. Don't need a 20mm. I have my 9 inch Single Six in .22lr for 'survival' use, which is what we are speaking of ... survival.
BTW do you know how many races the #40 NASCAR car has won over the years? Nine.

Last edited:

buckaroo

Banned
Will someone please come up with a viable EOTWAWKI scenario.

How does one define viable ? The globalist want a civil war to keep the focus off of them. And what is now happening and I suspected it would the hoodies are now venturing into suburbia and the gated communities. And most of it is easy pickings and they know it. And you know the rest of the story, once they disarm us only the criminals will be armed.

The elitist don't want average schmuck owning anything especially average White that has basic reasoning skills to figure it all out. They are going to use the criminals to kill us off. The very near future is Orwellian, 3% or less will own and control it all.

An Orwellian future, world wide? Am I he only one that realizes how big the world is, how many people are on this planet or how much resistance the supports of it would face? There's a bigger chance of a zombie or alien invasion. Stuff of somewhat entertaining movies.

Eastman88

Bearcat
The horse is dead; quit beating it! We understand that you do not believe that you can hunt with a .22lr revolver. So be it. Many others here disagree. Your decision. hunt with a 155 howitzer if you feel that is what is needed. Personally I would trust my 9" Single Six to take down just about anything except possibly a bear.

buckaroo

Banned
Am I he only one that realizes how big the world is
You do realize that the last country standing at the moment is the United States. Every other country in the world has been systematically disarmed. And every White country in the world has been flooded with economic migrants from the sht-holes of the world. Get a work force on the cheap and have the hoodies kill the rest off.

Sniperfox

Bearcat
This is what I keep in the lock box inside of my truck along with my get home bag.
ECAF0250-8E48-4F4C-A3FE-1FB9EEE1425B.jpeg
D764E00A-5CDE-41C8-83B0-83325D2E8DFC.jpeg