Survival guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
"P.S. A .22 rimfire revolver loses alot of power because of gas leakage around the cylinder gap. Turns a 22 Lr into a pop gun. IMHO, a .22 LR's primary purpose is as a trainer. I would never carry one for hunting or self defense purposes. A pistol? Maybe, but not a revolver."

As a life long hunter & user of many firearms & calibers, I'd have to respectfully disagree with the above statement.
The .22 LR in all it's delivery firearms is quite capable of taking a lot of game, as well as being used in self defense. I have personally put down many deer with (1) well placed shot. Granted, the deer were usually injured by a vehicle or such to where they couldn't escape. But I knew a guy, (now deceased,) who used the lowly .22 as his poaching gun. he killed a LOT of critters with a .22.
And even in a revolver, it's a proven caliber.
As for SD, you just need to look into a serious study of ACTUAL hospital & LEO records to see how many people are killed with a .22 LR.

Pop gun? Not hardly. If you feel it's so inadequate, I'll challenge you to the same thing I've challenged a few training "experts" who've made similar claims; Let me load a revolver & shoot you with (1) round. If it's a "pop gun" or only good as a "trainer" then you'd be just fine with it,,,,right?

Now,, I'm not trying to be disrespectful at all. And I'll be the first one to step up & say that depending upon the many variables (such as what Wendy mentioned,) that there can be many other calibers & firearms that could be a better choice.
But as an instructor, when dealing with elderly, ladies, disabled, or otherwise somewhat challenged people, a .22 LR in a revolver may be the best choice for them. As I say in class; "Anybody here want to get shot with a .22? How about multiple times? Remember,, you shoot until a threat is stopped or the game animal is down."
MANY of the elderly ladies I've taught over the last few decades do not have the ability to shoot AND control other calibers. And so far,,, I've not found anybody willing to be a test subject for impact studies using the "pop gun" .22 in any type of firearm, including a revolver.

"P.S. A .22 rimfire revolver loses alot of power because of gas leakage around the cylinder gap. Turns a 22 Lr into a pop gun. IMHO, a .22 LR's primary purpose is as a trainer. I would never carry one for hunting or self defense purposes. A pistol? Maybe, but not a revolver."

As a life long hunter & user of many firearms & calibers, I'd have to respectfully disagree with the above statement.
The .22 LR in all it's delivery firearms is quite capable of taking a lot of game, as well as being used in self defense. I have personally put down many deer with (1) well placed shot. Granted, the deer were usually injured by a vehicle or such to where they couldn't escape. But I knew a guy, (now deceased,) who used the lowly .22 as his poaching gun. he killed a LOT of critters with a .22.
As for SD, you just need to look into a serious study of ACTUAL hospital & LEO records to see how many people are killed with a .22 LR.

Pop gun? Not hardly. If you feel it's so inadequate, I'll challenge you to the same thing I've challenged a few training "experts" who've made similar claims; Let me load a revolver & shoot you with (1) round. If it's a "pop gun" or only good as a "trainer" then you'd be just fine with it,,,,right?

Now,, I'm not trying to be disrespectful at all. And I'll be the first one to step up & say that depending upon the many variables (such as what Wendy mentioned,) that there can be many other calibers & firearms that could be a better choice.
But as an instructor, when dealing with elderly, ladies, disabled, or otherwise somewhat challenged people, a .22 LR in a revolver may be the best choice for them. As I say in class; "Anybody here want to get shot with a .22? How about multiple times? Remember,, you shoot until a threat is stopped or the game animal is down."
MANY of the elderly ladies I've taught over the last few decades do not have the ability to shoot AND control other calibers. And so far,,, I've not found anybody willing to be a test subject for impact studies using the "pop gun" .22 in any type of firearm, including a revolver.
I couldn't have said it better myself Tyrone

Last edited:

A good friend, and hunting partner, told me how they would poach deer in the early 60's in California with a .22 LR. His family was dirt poor and that little .22 would feed the family.

Peter Capstick, in his book "Death in the Long Grass" stated how he killed an elephant with a .22 LR. He told his buddy what he had done and his buddy didn't believe him so he took him out, found another elephant and killed him with the .22. He'd wait until the elephant stepped froward with his front leg, and shoot right behind the leg, directly into the heart.
The .22 LR has it's limits, of course, but I know I wouldn't want to be shot with one.

Last edited:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
When I was a kid, I used to pour over my dad's Shooter's Bible and/or Gun Digest every year he got a new one (which was usually the year after it came out because he would wait for last year's edition to get marked down at Walden's). One year, I had put together a survival kit that I carried on my childhood adventures with my pal Mike, and had a bug up my butt to add a .22 LR pistol to the space blanket, signal mirror, pocket knife, wire saw, fish hooks, aluminum foil, butane lighter, and water purification tablets. I figured a little .22 and a box of 50 rounds of ammo would be an ideal lightweight addition to the kit, and that way I could harvest squirrels and rabbits when lost in the wilderness. Never mind that most of our adventures were within 3-4 miles of our suburban neighborhood.

I wanted the smallest, highest capacity gun made, and what I came up with was the FTL Auto Nine. A tiny little semiauto with a 9 round clip. Or maybe 8+1, I forget.

Of course, I never got one for the kit because
a. I was a minor
b. I had no money
c. None of the gun shops had ever heard of it
d. Al Gore had yet to invent the internet

But many years later, I happened to stumble onto one at an auction.

Never fired it, and it is probably a piece of crap that jams and couldn't hit a squirrel except by chance, but it finally scratched that decades old itch.

Auto9-03800-01.jpg

Auto9-03800-04.jpg

40nascar

Banned
A good friend, and hunting partner, told me how they would poach deer in the early 60's in California with a .22 LR. His family was dirt poor and that little .22 would feed the family.

Peter Capshaw, in his book "Death in the Long Grass" stated how he killed an elephant with a .22 LR. He told his buddy what he had done and his buddy didn't believe him so he took him out, found another elephant and killed him with the .22. He'd wait until the elephant stepped froward with his front leg, and shoot right behind the leg, directly into the heart.
The .22 LR has it's limits, of course, but I know I wouldn't want to be shot with one.
Was it a .22 revolver?

40nascar

Banned
Rifles in both cases.

I just realized I wrote Peter Capshaw, instead of Peter Capstick. I corrected it in my original post.

My comments about the inadequacies of the .22 Lr for hunting ,we're specific to Revolvers.

My comments about the inadequacies of the .22 Lr for hunting ,we're specific to Revolvers.
I've killed everything from Whistle Pigs to raccoons with a .22 LR handgun, both semi-auto and revolver.
Shot placement and distance comes into effect with any caliber. Would I try to kill a deer, or something bigger, with a .22 handgun? Yes, if that's what will feed me. Just have to be close enough and hit it in the right place.
We have deer come right up to us on our property. Some stay about 20+ feet away but I've had them come close enough for me to pet it. I could easily kill them with a .22 handgun.
Would I choose a bigger caliber if available? Yes, but if in a survival situation, you might not have that bigger caliber or it maybe you don't want your presence noticed. A .22 pistol with a suppressor would be THE gun of choice if surviving meant not exposing your location.

40nascar

Banned
I like to hunt but I aint sure I could shoot an animal that let me pet it 🤔

I don't see how People here would consider that "hunting". When I'm talking about hunting with a .22 LR. Revolver, I'm not talking about shooting Wild "Pets". ( Or farm Pigs ).

I would certainly like to see video of someone here hunting wild boars with a .22 Lr revolver!!

This has accounted for everything from rats to coyotes. It's not the size of the bullet or the velocity (assuming it has enough to penetrate deep enough). It's where you put the bullet..
qrS9fS6.jpg

So for what folks tend to refer to as "survival hunting" it would work fine. But if you ever need it for anything that can either shoot or eat you (who knows maybe both) something larger would be better.

This has accounted for everything from rats to coyotes. It's not the size of the bullet or the velocity (assuming it has enough to penetrate deep enough). It's where you put the bullet..
qrS9fS6.jpg

So for what folks tend to refer to as "survival hunting" it would work fine. But if you ever need it for anything that can either shoot or eat you (who knows maybe both) something larger would be better.
True point with the words survival hunting as opposed to survival gun and what kind of predator both 4 legged and 2 legged that you may encounter much as you try to avoid them. Just for game getting a .22 LR is very sensible on what you can bag with it while carrying plenty of ammo.

I don't see how People here would consider that "hunting". When I'm talking about hunting with a .22 LR. Revolver, I'm not talking about shooting Wild "Pets". ( Or farm Pigs ).

I would certainly like to see video of someone here hunting wild boars with a .22 Lr revolver!!
The horse is dead; quit beating it! We understand that you do not believe that you can hunt with a .22lr revolver. So be it. Many others here disagree. Your decision. hunt with a 155 howitzer if you feel that is what is needed. Personally I would trust my 9" Single Six to take down just about anything except possibly a bear.

40nascar

Banned
The horse is dead; quit beating it! We understand that you do not believe that you can hunt with a .22lr revolver. So be it. Many others here disagree. Your decision. hunt with a 155 howitzer if you feel that is what is needed. Personally I would trust my 9" Single Six to take down just about anything except possibly a bear.

Maybe a 20mm firing API rounds would be better for you than a wrangler for hunting?

contender

Ruger Guru
If you read my post closely,, I mention the FACT that a revolver is and has been used a LOT to do exactly what was needed.
And again, if a .22 revolver is such a "pop gun" then will you accept my challenge?

My point being,, there is NOT a lot of velocity loss in a revolver vs a semi-auto.

My chronograph can prove it.

40nascar

Banned
If you read my post closely,, I mention the FACT that a revolver is and has been used a LOT to do exactly what was needed.
And again, if a .22 revolver is such a "pop gun" then will you accept my challenge?

My point being,, there is NOT a lot of velocity loss in a revolver vs a semi-auto.

My chronograph can prove it.

O.K. prove it. ( With equal length barrels ).