Not new to me, an old friend Police six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I last owned a Security six when I was 18 as a security guard. Boy I thought I was something with that stainless beauty on my hip. 30 years later, after many GP's, Smiths, I found a lonely Police Six sitting at an overpriced gun shop that is notorious for high prices and rude service. Heck they were rude after I bought it, with the owner claiming his salesperson should not have sold it to me at the price listed. Not even a goodbye! Same old ass he has always been, well, even worse since I think I got a decent deal for once!

I forgot how easy they held and shot with the factory grips and smallish hands. Anyway she shoots a little to the left but the action is better than my Smith 65 or 66, and I don't think it was shot much. Timing and lock up are perfect and tight.Some of the matte finish on the top strap has been rubbed until it is shiny, so I may polish the whole top strap shiny as well for uniform appearance.
These could get addicting, except they aren't as cheap as they once were, this one was $325.
It also has a "U" in tiny font over the serial number, which I read is a second or a used gun. That is rather odd, does Ruger fix them up and re-sell them if the owner did not want it back? I am happy regardless. :) An old friend came home.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
Good score, Gator! I carried a 4" blue 357 Speed Six as my duty gun for a couple of years in the early 80's, so I understand the charm of these guns. They are quicker and handier than the Model that replaced them.

Just FWIW, Rugers with the under-lug are fairly easy to regulate for windage.
http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/dialing-in-a-fixed-sight-ruger-da-the-repatriated-ruger-gp-100/

GP_8strike.jpg

geo57

Single-Sixer
She looks like a dandy and you got it for a reasonable price. Best of luck with it.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Thanks for the link Sarge. I figured the barrel would have to be moved a tad. Not sure I want to take a whacking to it just yet. As it is, instead of putting the front side dead in the middle of the back sight, it's easy enough to just aim it slightly to the right. It's such a small movement, I might just stick with it as is.

Interesting article and gets me thinking how real issues like firing pin problems and lockups can occur with revolvers. Luckily, buying used, I have avoided any dud wheelguns... with one exception- I just bought a .22 high standard ten shot a couple of weeks ago, and fell in love too fast at the gun store. it turned out the crane assembly was worn out and the cylinder rubbed the frame, it wobbled like a drunk on payday. The .22 was bought at a different, "nice" gunshop I deal with all the time, and one call to the owner and he said bring it back and get a refund.

The money was then turned into this Police service six. It's a joy to shoot, like any good single action it just slips up my hand during recoil of the full house magnum loads, putting my thumb in position to cock again. Single action is the only way I can shoot a magnum anyway now, I start to anticipate and shake despite shooting for decades. It's getting worse the older I get I think.
Something in my brain both enjoys, and dislikes recoil, there is a small voice whispering, "you darn fool, its going to blow your hand off!" Haha
You should see the flinch when I hit an empty chamber!
I need recoil rehab but health insurance wont pay for the bullets.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
geo57 said:
She looks like a dandy and you got it for a reasonable price. Best of luck with it.

I been looking casually for one for about a year, and the prices are crazy. Like gas, I don't think they are going to go down, but around here they are $450-$500 and at that price I start looking at autos. But now that I have it, it's in such nice shape, almost looks new, and I look at the close fitting lines and it's a thing of beauty none of my autos have. So I guess they are worth what people are asking. They aint making anymore, so what can you do? Pay the man! I will get another now though, the bug has bit me a little and drawn blood.

Joe S.

Hunter
SargeMO said:
Good score, Gator! I carried a 4" blue 357 Speed Six as my duty gun for a couple of years in the early 80's, so I understand the charm of these guns. They are quicker and handier than the Model that replaced them.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/dialing-in-a-fixed-sight-ruger-da-the-repatriated-ruger-gp-100/

GP_8strike.jpg

i shall apply this tip to my LCR... what can go wrong? :shock:

chet15

Hawkeye
gatorhugger:
The barrel rollmark says ".357 Magnum Cal."? If so, it is the model GF-34 and does look like a heavy barrel so would be GF-34H in that case.
Yes, guns that are returned to the factory for any reason that are perfectly fine, except may need some refurbishing can get sent out as a "used" gun. Ruger has always done this...the earliest guns were marked with an "S" for second.
Such guns could have been used on Ruger's trade show displays, used at the factory for various testing purposes or for who knows what else.
All "S" or "U" marked guns are rare. There are also some asterisk marked guns out there which is also the same thing, just a phase where Ruger decided to mark their guns with an asterisk because as one employee looked me in the eye and adamently said "We don't sell used guns!".
Chet15

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
Joe S. said:
SargeMO said:

GP_8strike.jpg

i shall apply this tip to my LCR... what can go wrong? :shock:

How+About+No.jpg

This method only works where the barrel and shroud are a single unit that screws into the receiver. The cylinder frame and shroud are a single aluminum unit on the LCR and pounding on it will accomplish nothing and likely damage the gun.