Nuclear missile found in Bellevue, WA man's garage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Inert is the key word in the article... not even any fuel in the dern thing.

Years ago I was looking through my local scrap metal distributors yard and there was an interesting large tank open on one end that you could walk in... probably 6ft or more in diameter and 30 feet long.... one of the workers in the yard explained that they were selling It to a guy who was going to use it to store water for his solar powered house and it used to be a nuclear missile silo.

MZ5

Bearcat
That fella was obviously an 'old-timer,' rather than one of the 'new' west-siders. Like him, I'd have been quite aggravated by the po-lice being called and especially the media attention over this big fat nothing-burger.

The rocket is definitely cool, though!

RSIno1

Hunter

Attachments

• bbq.jpg
    bbq.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 257afba975d9859f9fb0d42da366208e.jpg
    257afba975d9859f9fb0d42da366208e.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
An air-to-air missile with a nuclear warhead? What the hell is/was the Air Force planning to shoot down? The starship Enterprise?

I remember these. The warhead was to make up for lack of accuracy. We didn't have the level of precision targeting back then that we have now so this was the air-to-air equivalent of a hand grenade as opposed to a bullet. The pool table approach: "If you can't shoot good, shoot hard." :)

Last edited:
Those crazy guys in Bellevue. Wonder what else they collect? But not to worry, the bomb squad took care of it. :ROFLMAO:

Talk about scary! How many Bomb Squad personnel know how to handle nukes? What did they do with it?

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Several years ago someone scrapped a 500 pound bomb at a salvage yard in Tucson.
It turned out the bomb was live and when the guy at the scrap yard started to cut it up , it exploded killing him.
Six months later another 500 pound bomb showed up. This time they caught it.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Haven't heard of such an incident in a long time, but years back there were explosions resulting from souvenier Civil War cannon shot. Typical story was it was placed on the mantel and fell off one day, exploding.

Unexploded ordnance remains a danger over the years.

Bob Wright

Inert is the key word in the article... not even any fuel in the dern thing.

Years ago I was looking through my local scrap metal distributors yard and there was an interesting large tank open on one end that you could walk in... probably 6ft or more in diameter and 30 feet long.... one of the workers in the yard explained that they were selling It to a guy who was going to use it to store water for his solar powered house and it used to be a nuclear missile silo.
An empty pipe with a cone (rocket motor) on the end. Kind of like picking up an odd empty cartridge case.