Safe in garage?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I know you guys are just joking about keeping the guns over the wife. (I think?)

The real solution is buy a big enough house in the first place. If that isn't possible just reconfigure the current living space.
Once my kids were old enough for toys they were old enough to learn safety. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction etc around 3-4. By 5 shooting softair and trigger discipline etc. 5-6 supervised live fire with full enforcement of the rules. By 8 they had their Hunter Safety State issued authorization for access to loaded firearms. By 12 part of the Home Defense Fire Team. If the wife can't see the point in having the means of defending your lives available her life isn't worth it.

ericbc7

Bearcat
^^^^what he said^^^
My Ex-wife had the same idea, I agreed that I could do that, I insulated all three garage doors and had a 5 ton AC installed then wouldn't let her park in the garage. She really couldn't anyway because the small bay was where my UTV was parked, the second bay had my bar set up and the third bay had a rug , wrap around sofa and big screen TV.
I often wonder why I'm not married anymore.
Ah, could explain the "Ex" in Ex-Wife?

Are we talking about a lot of firearms in the safe? Ammo too?

Personally, I'd keep it in the house. A spare room, closet? You need to add levels of security to keep the thieves from getting to it, and the garage, where all the good power tools are, is the first place they will look.

I'm sure she has important papers, jewelry, etc. that needs protecting. Compromise.

gunzo

Hunter
Not worth loosing the wife over a vault placement. OTOH, if she leaves over such a thing then the inevable is always looming.
Best to have the where it's contents are best protected against moisture & theft. Otherwise, just say yes dear the rest of your life on any subject. Your battles, you choose em.

I'm not trying to be funny.

NetNathan

Single-Sixer
I did a lot of research on safes and theft before buying mine and figuring out where to put them. Most safes, even the good ones are vulnerable to attack on the top, back and sides, only the front door is secure (on some that isn't even true).

Here is the perfect stealth idea to work from. If wanted, you could also add an alarm in the house for if the wood door is opened, even as far as sending a text to your phone with right setup.

The wife rules more than a lot us want to admit (Happy wife, happy life). So you will do as she desires.... with the conditions of how it is protected.
I mean.... she does not want the guilt of having the stolen weapons in the wrong hands..

Attachments

• 1703983592609.png
    1703983592609.png
    339.5 KB · Views: 25

hittman

Staff member
…… prefer to have the safe in the garage.
"Prefer" sounds to me like it's open for discussion. Not a bad thing your spouse is confident enough to talk about it.
Convince her or explain to her why it's better off closer and in a climate controlled area.
That safe be a nice place for HER family heirlooms, jewelry, personal papers, cash. A local smoke shop gave me a couple of very nice solid wood cigar boxes Mrs. Hittman just LOVES to put her stuff in.
Negotiation on WHERE it'll sit.
Heck, even show her this thread.

Well, I'll just say that my 19 years of firsthand experience is no match for keyboard warriors that have never actually stored guns in a garage or a shop. Commonsense on here dictates that unless they are stored inside, they will rust no matter what precautions are taken LOL I have never (until this house we just built) placed a 72-gun safe inside my home. I have stored it in my detached garage 40 feet from my house, and another slightly smaller one in my shop (over 150 feet from my house). Both had Golden Rod dehumidifiers, as well as desiccant boxes in case of power failure. This is in Kentucky- where the humidity is extremely high all summer and fall. I've had power outages last as long as 13 days. I have never had the first speck of rust in 19 years of storing them. I trusted my Barretts, along with lesser guns and ammo, in them.
I guess most here are city-dwellers and never had a granddad store an old shotgun or .22 rifle in the outbuilding for fast access when a fox or other varmint popped up unexpectedly.

contender

Ruger Guru
Another thought.
If your safe doesn't have enough space to house HER valuables,, then get her a safe of her own.

Why?

Well, Miss Penny wanted a fancy wooden jewelry box long ago. I bought her one. When we had a home break-in,, the thief got one gun, (not in the safe,) and emptied Miss Penny's jewelry box contents into a pillow case he also too off our bed. She lost about $12,000.00 in jewelry. With most of the money we got from the insurance,, one of the first things she bought was a gun safe. I modified the interior for HER stuff,, and now she has better protection from a future break-in.

Break-ins can happen ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!

Mine are in the basement. I am fortunate as I don't really have a moisture issue. If I didn't have a basement then I would certainly consider the garage. However I do try to get everything out and clean it periodically.

I use safes more as protection against fire than theft. Of course, since my safes are now considered 'substandard' I guess I shouldn't even bother. 🙄

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Major difference in advice depending on location. Some do not experience rust or humidity issues at all and some can't keep rust away. My issue with such is my dryer exhausts into my garage so the humidity is falsely skewed.

contender

Ruger Guru
The OP & I live in the same general area when it comes to humidity & such. I fully understand the necessity of keeping my guns in a temperature & humidity controlled environment.
I don't have a garage,, but if I did,, there wouldn't be a safe full of guns in it.

Rimfire Sports

Bearcat
In the last two years, I have refinished and individual's firearms because his wife didn't want the unsightly safe in the house. The solution was to put it in the garage (not temperature and humidity controlled). A couple of months later all the firearms were covered in rust. Well after doing an expert job cleaning them up and refinishing, I get the word that the owner had put a dehumidifier in the safe but his wife needed an extension cord and "borrowed" the one connecting the dehumidifier and failed to return it. You guessed it, covered in rust again!
Sounds like grounds for divorce. :)

eveled

Hawkeye
The thing about modern safes and humidity. They are lined with sheet rock. They will soak up humidity and never dry out.

I can try to help with both options.

In our last home, the size of safe I wanted wasn't practical for installation in the house, and my office was upstairs and I was unsure of the floor joist capacity. So I installed it in my shop. I did run a heater in the shop so it never got below 50 degrees in winter. I mounted it to the floor, against a wall, in a purpose built enclosure. By that I mean that the face was recessed, the corner posts had rebar in the wood, the studs were 6" on center with t-posts and gravel filling the gaps. Same for the shelf up top. I wanted to defeat a chainsaw or other side breach. Never had any rust issues- I did run a dehumidifier in it. But I hated my guns being away from my living area.

IMG_5144.jpeg

However- in a prior home , I convinced my wife that the safe could be a design element. I built the safe into the TV alcove, complete with sliding hidden shelves on either side. It was beautiful. This is a pic from Realtor.com of how it looks now, some 28 years later. I was pretty proud of this, and my wife loved it too.
IMG_8545.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts