OLD model or NEW model???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a couple of Old Model Blackhawks in .357 and .44 Mag and a New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I like the OM action (four clicks) and loading by cocking to the third click. I am looking for a .22 convertible single-six. What are your thoughts as to the NM Vs the OM in the .22 convertible?

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
I own both, and I too prefer the Old Model's. But, if you want to safely carry it loaded with 6 rounds, and also have greater access to replacement parts...Then the New Model is the better choice.

wproct

Single-Sixer
I love shooting the old model. It's a wonderful blend of old time shooting experience with some vast improvements in design. I don't have one anymore but I wish I did. The new model is definitely an improvement safety wise and shoots just as good.

I have a couple of Old Model Blackhawks in .357 and .44 Mag and a New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I like the OM action (four clicks) and loading by cocking to the third click. I am looking for a .22 convertible single-six. What are your thoughts as to the NM Vs the OM in the .22 convertible?
Old Models are loaded on the second click. :)

Starting with the hammer fully down on the frame . . .

First click locks the hammer back just far enough to retract the firing pin, sometimes called the "safety click".

Second click frees the cylinder for rotation for loading/unloading/inspection, sometimes called "half cock".

Third click is the bolt dropping onto the cylinder surface, hopefully at the leade to one of the locking notches.

Fourth click is the hammer dropping into the "full cock" position.

I love my Old Models.

😁😁😁

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Odd man out here. I like New models !
Your answer depends a lot on how it is gonna be used. Ooooed and ahhhed a lot and shot a little. Gloating points go toward the Old Model.
If you want to fearlessly rough country carry it, shoot it a lot and want to do your own maintenance the nod goes to the New Models.
I like the fact with New Model stuff any part will drop in and is only a phone call away. Old model stuff can leave you stranded for quite a while.
Yup, I do have old model stuff . It mostly hides in the safe while the new models go out and play.

Paul B

Hunter
I like both and probably have more new models that old but the preference is for the old if push comes to shove.
I'm kind of an odd man out s well as most of the time I load the new models exactly like the old, an empty chamber under the hammer. ut want to be sure that I don't mess up and load siz in an old model when out on a desert or moutain hike. On the rare occasion I run into a bear or Mountain Lion I've always had the time to add the extra round into the empty chamber. I've never had either one stand their ground or make threatening moves. I know I can load all six in a new model safely but it's just a habit I stay with. I sometimes carry a Colt single action so again, maintain the habit.
Paul B.

hittman

Staff member
I've owned 2 NM over the years. A 30 Carbine and a 41 Mag Blackhawk.
Both got traded for the same model OM when one became available,
Nothing wrong with the NMs I had, just much prefer the older more collectable stuff.

Rclark

Hunter
There is nothing wrong with a NM though. The NM is a bit easier to get a hold off in the market ;) ... If you are looking to shoot it within your lifetime. My tuned NM Single Six shoots really well. That said, I don't own any OM revolvers, but do have several Old Army revolvers with the OM action, and like it.