Origianl Ruger Red Label chokes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blackbearhunter

Bearcat
Is it adviseable and fairly easy gunsmith job to install removable chokes on the original all blue Ruger red label shotguns?
What kind of hunting can be done with skeet chokes and what shot size should be used in 20ga.?skeet ok for Grouse/woodcock?
I'am looking at buying one of the old fixed choke guns but know nothing about skeet chokes.
Thanks for any help!

wwb

Hunter
For grouse, I use a one ounce load of #7-1/2 in a 20 gauge with an IC choke. Skeet should work just as well, since the difference between skeet and IC is very slight.

96/44

Blackhawk
Skeet is a great choke for close range bird hunting. To me SK/SK chokes are the best to have if you have a fixed choke gun. There are some specialty loads out there that will give you tighter patterns at longer ranges in case you decide to take it on a pheasant or duck hunt.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Colonial Arms (http://www.colonialarms.com/index.html ) can thread double barrel shotguns for choke tubes for $155 for 12 and 20 ga. guns and supply a full range of choke tubes to match. I used them to shorten and tube a Remington 870 barrel a few years ago and they did a fine job.

Skeet is just a slight bit tighter than cylinder bore and is great for close in hunting too. For true skeet shooting #9 shot in a 7/8-oz load is the standard for 20 gauge and also works for doves, etc. close up.