P95 Mag Release

Help Support Ruger Forum:

yep, let a smith work on it... it will be worth it... I'm had a number of springs that have journeyed to a different universe...

As for the P89 quandary on older mags and newer ones... I fixed my older P 89 by just filing off some of the top of the magazine latch....

just for kicks, here is a picture of my latest pistol project.... converting a Sig P239 from a DAK trigger to DA/SA only took an entire weekend to get it right.

IMG_7271.jpeg

Al James

Hunter
I love the 239! Its too bad they were discontinued. Considered obsolete by many, except me!

roylt

Hunter
You really don't need a smith. If your worry is only the mag release you simply push on the back of the spring up in the magwell.

If I was closer Id help out for sure. Tinkering on P-guns is fun for me. Haven't done it in awhile but fun.

Google around a bit more and see if you can find more info on the mag release specifically.

It has been awhile but I think I simply put a small 1/4" dowel up there and squeezed it against the spring with my thumb. The side without the actual catch will almost fall out on its own. The other side with the catch is a tighter fit through the hole in the frame but I bet you can get it.

Did you try to push the release forward to remove your mag yet? Maybe all this is moot.

I love the 239! Its too bad they were discontinued. Considered obsolete by many, except me!
Probably Obsolete because I actually own 9.... 10 is going to be my limit though....
For those that don't know the history, the P239 was designed by Sig to be a concealed carry pistol for off duty police officers.... it was pretty popular for a while ... then along came all the plastic pistols.... as well as striker fired.... One of mine came from the Phoenix police department.... I suspect others were from the same kind of place. I changed out the grips and it is the best handling pistol I own... I hate that I sold one to a friend .... and it was a 357 sig frame. The lower came either 9mm or 357sig/40 cal.... you can shoot 9mm in the 357/40 ones with just a barrel change out.... no need to change recoil spring or magazine.... So, practice with 9mm and carry 357 sig.

Uncle Rick

Bearcat
From JAYDAWG:

Please enlighten me......................

Good question, hope we get a reply... but then it might start a religious debate......

I re-read the original post and I think the key is "old Ruger P95". I'm now betting it is just gunked up,
Again, I think I'll take it to a smith and let him figure it out. I've shot it with Hoppe's solvent, followed by Hoppe's gun oil, and not much difference. I even shot it with PB Blaster, and nada. I think there's probably something either out of place, or boogered up to a fare-thee-well.

Uncle Rick

Bearcat
I inherited it after the Station Night Club Fire, and it sat in my gun cabinet for a couple of years. Then, I took it to club's range, and it stove piped several times, so I took it home and gave it a serious scrub and clean, after which it cycled flawlessly, except for the mag release. I again let it sit, but would take it out to clean and oil every couple of months. Now, I've decided to try to get the mag release working, and here we are.

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
"The Lord's Caliber", .45 acp

I was wondering if that might be in reference to

Revelation 19:11
"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war."

I have a set of grips with this verse on one of my Colt 1911's, 45ACP of course;)

Okay, I got it even though I think that is kind of a stretch .... there has to be more 1911s in the Bible ... but not wanting to cause conflict I accept it and will let my two 46acp buddies know this and they will like it.
And yes, after all that spaying and such I think it needs to got to a gun smith... I'll be he (or she, got to be politically correct.. or maybe 'they' would have worked) will be able to fix it easy.

06dilly

Single-Sixer

Found this which seems pretty good but right at the end (10:20) he talks about but doesn't actually remove the mag release. The 95 is a bit harder because the grip is solid and you have to go up the magwell to apply pressure on the spring.

I really think it is simply you are pushing in instead of forward.

Do post a follow up and we will try to help more. Few P-nuts on here that still care about the old P-series.

Thanks for finding my video, Roylt! I made several a few years ago and it's fun to see them get found. I also did a video on the history of the P-series.

You are right, I took it all apart, except the magazine release. I despise that part. I have removed them but it was too challenging to capture on the video. If I remember correctly, you have to relieve the pressure on the spring which is incredibly strong on every one I tried. I think I used a tool to push on the spring itself inside the mag well. Still takes ridiculous pressure to then get the two pieces pulled out, one to each side. A third hand helps, or the exact leverage against the spring.

Good luck with it Uncle Rick. It's really not that intimidating of a gun to take apart. The mag release DOES come out, just realize it's in two parts and one comes out each side. Gotta relieve that spring pressure as much as you can. Makes me want to pull out the P-guns and play with them again!

Uncle Rick

Bearcat
Thank you, royalt ! As much as I appreciate the reply, I think it's going to be a job for the local gunsmith. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm like Captain Fumble Fingers, and springs and small parts have a tendency to grow wings if I take them apart.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Mine releases from either side alone or by pushing both. They go "in" a little by default but the far and above majority direction is forward, the direction the projectile leaves the barrel. I would make sure you have P95 magazines.

Uncle Rick

Bearcat
Mine releases from either side alone or by pushing both. They go "in" a little by default but the far and above majority direction is forward, the direction the projectile leaves the barrel. I would make sure you have P95 magazines.
I've tried pushing forward, and still find the releases hard to engage. I have the original 10 round mags that came with the gun when my son got it, as well as a couple of after market mags I ordered from CDNN. The problem exists with all of them.