Police shooting input...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Only seeing the video and nothing else It was proper police use of deadly force. Why, the reason the police responded was The Man was threatening women with a gun. When the uniformed officer approached the man (suspect) was holding a firearm, it sounded like he was talking to the approaching officer. The officer could not have seen the gun in the suspects hand until he stepped into the house or onto the porch. He raised the gun instead of dropping the gun. The media can make a big deal on the number of shots fired by police. There is no law that covers how many shots. As long as it is justified, the officer can shoot as many as he/she believes is the right amount to stop the threat. Be honest, could we see where each shot went? After the 1st shot did the suspect continue to hold or attempt to raise the gun at the officer? We couldn't see any of that.
My thought is if that was me, I would have waited to approach the suspect and house until another officer or 2 where present. There was one walking to house before shots were fired. The outcome might have been the same but with 2 officers firing even more rounds.
Since I read the last post, I don't have the ability to know what was in the officer's mind and how he made the decision. I do know approaching that house on that call, the officer needed to be prepared to confront an armed man. His gun in hand is warrantied.

Last edited:
What was the cop supposed to do let the guy shoot him first before responding? Does not matter to me what the circumstances were. ... guy could have bee just cleaning his gun, it might not be loaded and he's just sitting there watching the cop walking up and in his mind means no harm but raises the weapon and starts to point it at the cop? If it was me I'd expect to get shot multiple times.
My wife gets kind of tired of me making comments while we watch various cop shows where some bad person pulls a gun and for the next couple of minutes the cop(s) try to talk the person down while everyone is pointing guns at each other.... I see a gun coming out, if I can you are getting several rounds before it is ever pointed at me.

DGW1949

Hunter
If the suspect had of began pointing his gun towards me, I would have shot him too....a lot....After all, the whole idea of self defense during a deadly situation is to kill the other guy before he kills you, eh?...If you think it ain't, then my guess is that you've never had to fight for your life....At any rate, to heck with that guy. He shoulda put his gun down as soon as he knew that a cop was approaching the scene, not raised it.

DGW

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
This wonderful example of a fine upstanding victim in the ignorant peoples eyes was rightfully ventilated by the LEO. Excessive shots fired? No way.

This wonderful citizen was walking up and down the street waving the gun at people and walking onto various properties shouting threats. Several 911 calls were made and PD responded timely to track him down.

The training I have been through falls inline with this standard. That LEO was calm and focused. You can bet the farm his attention was on the muzzle movement of that wonderful person's weapon while his mind was on that perfectly wonderful person's ill intentions.

He, and all Police will now be demonized by online media and many others, including some on this forum (see post #4 from above). Meanwhile, the upstanding "victim" will have a shrine built in his honor.

As for back story.....if you are able to get on this forum you have the ability to search many engines and can do all the homework you want and come to your own conclusion from your own source.

Last edited:
IMPD and emergency services are on the scene after a man threatened to shoot people near the intersection of 40th St. and Broadway in Indianapolis. The individual was shot by IMPD and transported to an area hospital in critical condition.

Raise a gun towards an officer, expect to get shot. Justified and reasonable use of force in this case.

JackBull

Buckeye
I believe the leo could have handled it much much better before he stepped onto the porch. He also could have backed off the porch when he saw the man had a gun. Why would he just walk in front of a person knowing he had a gun? I believe the cop was looking to put a notch on his gun.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
We can all be "Monday morning quarterbacks" here. Without all the details,, or the direct info the officer had,, we can create any & all types of reasons why or why not it was justified.

But let's look at it a bit differently.

Let's say you as a private citizen has been told a guy is going around waving a gun & threatening people. You go to your house,, and find a guy sitting on your porch,, with a gun,, and he raises it or starts to point it at you. What will be YOUR reaction?
Now I know it's not exactly the same thing as what we see here.
But all too often,, I see most of us here,, who carry & believe in self-defense,, comment on how they would respond by saying they would shoot the individual.

Action is always faster than reaction.

Almost a year ago,, a NCHP friend had a guy pull up a gun and shoot him in the chest with a .44 magnum. He had to react AFTER he realized he was under attack. He was able to draw & return fire fast enough to where the guy didn't get off a second shot,, but he reacted with 6 rounds fired. He told me directly he didn't count the rounds. He just fired until he felt the threat was stopped. AND,, he said the guy moved around some after he'd gone down,, and he thought; "Please God,, don't reach for that gun!" Because he knew he'd have to continue shooting.

We as gun owners hope & pray we are never confronted with an armed person to where we are placed in a SD shooting. But if we are,, we will all feel as if we were justified. No matter what others think,, we will feel it was justified. We may second guess ourselves AFTER the fact,, (especially after a harsh grilling by LEO's) and have regrets etc,, but in the moment,, faced with some reasonable fear of being attacked,, we will act in SD.

A LEO puts on a uniform,, that to a portion of the general public,, makes them a target for whatever. LEO's are spit upon, cursed, accused of crimes, attacked, killed, or whatever JUST because they are LEO's.

We civilians are not treated that way.

I believe the leo could have handled it much much better before he stepped onto the porch. He also could have backed off the porch when he saw the man had a gun. Why would he just walk in front of a person knowing he had a gun? I believe the cop was looking to put a notch on his gun.
So the cop is supposed to back off and let the guy continue to be an idiot?
I bet you're one of those people that argues when the cop tells you to get out of the car.

Every story of the police getting shot makes for this kind of response. Im not sure what the libs want police can return fire if able to after the muzzle flash, or maybe they need to get hit first (they have those expensive vests and then return fire to wound only, this is nuts. Some police shootings are unnecessary, but to second guess people in a life and death situation with only seconds are less to respond after viewing a video forwards and backward, in slow motion or stop motion while no danger to them is present. Back the Blue.