Ruger .44 Special project....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Otony

Blackhawk
Well, I got tired of waiting for a 7.5" barreled Ruger Flattop in .44 Special. seemed like it would be a natural but apparently I was wrong.

HOWEVER! I just bought a new .44 Special flattie from Buds. :mrgreen: There has been a mint Colt New Frontier .44 Special stored here waiting.....just in case. Gonna give Alan Harton a jingle and see if he can make things sing together.

So, what do y'all think, Bisley hammer? i am pretty sure i have a nice set of butterscotch micarta grips stored away as well.....if I can ever find 'em! :oops:

JIm Stroh's front sight would be what I would pick as well. I have several guns with his on them and they are my favorite between his, Alans, Hamiltons and Ben Forkins. Just a very classy and elegant sight in my opinion.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Otony,

Bravo, why wait for Ruger? Can't wait to see it done.

Which generation is your Colt NF barrel? If it's a third it has 24 TPI and will screw right into your frame. If it's 2nd Gen it's only 20 TPI and you'll lose some length.

You may want to consider the Ruger 5" ejector rod and housing. It will push those empty cases clear out of the chambers and looks good on a long barrel.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Robb Barnes said:
JIm Stroh's front sight would be what I would pick as well. I have several guns with his on them and they are my favorite between his, Alans, Hamiltons and Ben Forkins. Just a very classy and elegant sight in my opinion.

Thumbs up on the Jim Stroh front sight!

gak

Buckeye
Unless I'm missing the idea here, find a .44 Mag Vaquero or SBH 7.5" barrel and add a sight of your choice (esp if it's a Vaquero).

Otony

Blackhawk
The Colt barrel has a nice taper. Plus I got it for a song, so even if I add an ERH it will still be an economical route.

Plus I get a kick out of using a Colt part! However, if I didn't already have the barrel, I would have probably used a SBH tube.........

gak

Buckeye
Otony said:
The Colt barrel has a nice taper. Plus I got it for a song, so even if I add an ERH it will still be an economical route.

Plus I get a kick out of using a Colt part! However, if I didn't already have the barrel, I would have probably used a SBH tube.........

Gotcha...not to mention that nice Colt crown that's already there.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Otony said:
I have a 24 TPI barrel, so no length loss. As for the ERH, my understanding is one has to run a Colt part for things to mesh correctly.

I am willing to bet Alan knows full well what will lash up to what!

The Colt ERH usually needs some fitting to the Ruger frame and re-bluing. But your preference is the only thing that matters. Yes, Alan will make it all match up.