Ruger American - LH shooting question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Can someone please tell me whether the original stock on American (Ranch) RH model provides enough space for your thumb to fit under the bolt, if you hold it left handed and operate the bolt with your right hand?
Possibly interested in the Magpul stock as well, same question (as it seems to go lower than original grip).
Thanks

Also - I'm looking at a 300AAC model, pre owned, well priced - anything good/bad you can tell me is also appreciated.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Southpaw here. I'm guessing you'll eventually regret getting the wrong bolt rifle in pretty short order. I despised shooting them and buy only left handed bolts.
maybe you know you'd be fine with it but just throwing it out there for you. Take it or leave it.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Southpaw here. I'm guessing you'll eventually regret getting the wrong bolt rifle in pretty short order. I despised shooting them and buy only left handed bolts.
maybe you know you'd be fine with it but just throwing it out there for you. Take it or leave it.
I would think about a left handed model, but they don't make one in 300BLK. I may not get this one after all, but I just wanted to know whether or not is that handling possible, perhaps for future reference.

Dad shot lefty most/all his life (even during military service). He was quite handy at rolling the rifle to the left and working the bolt with his left hand. I've shot lefty during a few bouts of righty disability and find that working the bolt with the right hand disturbs the aim and generally works less well than the 'roll and reach over' method. Shooting from a bench is a whole different scenario and most anything works there.

People use different ways in working the bolt on a rifle. Pinching the bolt is really common, I seen it used by most at public sight in days pre hunting season. Defined: As thumb or index finger behind bolt handle or really, it's between bolt handle and stock. index or more finger outside the bolt handle or away from stock. I believe this is what is the reason for this post.
Palming the bolt takes practice. But can be easier and faster. Palming does not place anything behind the bolt handle. Defined: open palm below bolt handle, pushing up, pulling back. Open palm facing shooter. Closing bolt, hand is rotated, palm facing away from shooter. closing bolt, no part of the hand is between bolt handle and stock. Almost like slapping the bolt closed.
The space between the bolt handle and stock does not matter. you don't put thumb or fingers there.
My definition of each might be different from others but hope the point was made. Who cares if the shooter can place a thumb or finger between bolt handle and stock to operate the action, it's not needed.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
People use different ways in working the bolt on a rifle. Pinching the bolt is really common, I seen it used by most at public sight in days pre hunting season. Defined: As thumb or index finger behind bolt handle or really, it's between bolt handle and stock. index or more finger outside the bolt handle or away from stock. I believe this is what is the reason for this post.
Palming the bolt takes practice. But can be easier and faster. Palming does not place anything behind the bolt handle. Defined: open palm below bolt handle, pushing up, pulling back. Open palm facing shooter. Closing bolt, hand is rotated, palm facing away from shooter. closing bolt, no part of the hand is between bolt handle and stock. Almost like slapping the bolt closed.
The space between the bolt handle and stock does not matter. you don't put thumb or fingers there.
My definition of each might be different from others but hope the point was made. Who cares if the shooter can place a thumb or finger between bolt handle and stock to operate the action, it's not needed.

That was not my question. Perhaps I didn't put it right:
"provides enough space for your thumb to fit under the bolt, if you hold it left handed and operate the bolt with your right hand?" - I ment enough space for the LEFT thumb, as you hold the stock wrist with your left hand and operate the bolt with your right hand. In other words: can I operate the bolt with my right hand, without breaking my left hand shooting grip?

nekvermont

Buckeye
I shoot a RH American Ranch 5.56 left-handed, and my thumb doesn't come anywhere near the bolt handle but you can't cycle the bolt back with your right hand because your LH hand (in a shooting grip) is in the way.

Oh, by the way, I love your CZ pistols. :)

Last edited:

edm1

Single-Sixer
I don't know about shooting LH. However I just 3 min ago put mine back in the safe after fondeling it. Amazingly accurate rifle. With subs and a can it is silent. I absolutely love the thing.