RUGER AR556 most accurate Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cocodrie

Bearcat
Looking for experience on what ammo found to be most accurate in the Ruger AR556

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
All guns are different. As such,, only by shooting can you determine what works best in your gun. Luckily,,, the AR-15 in general can be quite accurate with several different loads.
Experimentation is half the fun!
PS; Always buy quality stuff & you'll be better off. Foreign made, or cheaper stuff can be a bit inferior if true accuracy is the goal.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!
All guns are different. As such,, only by shooting can you determine what works best in your gun. Luckily,,, the AR-15 in general can be quite accurate with several different loads.
Experimentation is half the fun!
PS; Always buy quality stuff & you'll be better off. Foreign made, or cheaper stuff can be a bit inferior if true accuracy is the goal.

Exactly.....+1

Do you have a specific use for the rifle/ammo combination or only care about accuracy? If making holes in paper very close together is the ultimate goal, then the distance to the target is the next question.
In the end, the only way to find the most accurate ammo is to test fire different brands/types until you've achieved that goal.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Black Hills Match (they make several weights) gets high marks when it comes to factory ammo for an AR 15. I know Hornady makes some newer match stuff for AR's that people talk about but none of my close friends have tested it yet. Most guys that shoot a lot for accuracy load their own.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Don't feel that because it cost more that it will be more accurate IN YOUR GUN.
I bought a case of inexpensive .223 just to get the brass and found that it shot BETTER than the so called match ammo. Shooting is the only way to tell.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Cocodrie said:
Looking for experience on what ammo found to be most accurate in the Ruger AR556

I'll second what the others said, and add this. Think of the whole subject as a system consisting of you, the rifle, the optics and the ammo. All 4 must complement each other for precision and accurate shooting. For more on this, I recommend watching all of Tiborasaurus Rex Sniper 101 videos in sequence. Many hours worth of basic info, some quite detailed.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

Also, realize that accuracy & precision are much like car racing: How accurate can you afford to be? :)

RandyP

Bearcat
" Think of the whole subject as a system consisting of you, the rifle, the optics and the ammo."

I think this is also the correct order of importance as regards variables that affect 'accuracy'. I put the word in quotes because it really depends on how accurate a firearm really needs to be - most all of them are far more accurate than the shooter. Unless I decide to start shooting 1000 yard bullseye competitions? I'll stay happy with MOD (Minute of Dead). $$$ does not always = end result. You could give me a pro golfer's most expensive clubs, and I still couldn't shoot a round under my weight number - lol

buying Jerry Miculek's S&W revolvers won't magically give you his speed and practical accuracy. I adhere to Hickok45's views on the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVzSAm5VhfE

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Actually the OP's question is a good one.
A fairly good shooter can put up some pretty impressive targets with just about any AR as long as the ammo is put together well.
A lot of military ammo suffers for one reason or the other at accuracy. Getting the best or even better ammo will really fix this in most AR's. I've shot and seen shot a good amount military ammo thru an AR and the results weren't earth shaking by any means but just throwing some thoughtfully loaded ammo into the gun changed things immensely. Why?
The military has this thing about sealing everything in a round, necks are glued, primers are glued, probably the biggest contributing factor. Black Hills has been making match ammo for years for that very reason and that's why it's well thought of.
I don't know if the OP is a dead eye shooter or not but I do know what I've seen and an AR is a accurate rifle when it is loaded with accurate ammunition.