Ruger Blackhawk boom

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
My nephew told me today he was shooting his New Model Blackhawk yesterday (I think a 1983 vintage) and he let his girlfriend shoot it. While I had taught him safety when he first learned he didn't pass on everything to her I guess. They were using Blazer .357 ammo and apparently she got a squib, something I would think in a .357 you would notice. Well, the squib lodged a bullet in the end of the barrel by the front sight, and you guess it since she was a new shooter and didn't know what to do, she fired another round. Apparently there is now quite a noticeable bulge in the barrel. She stopped shooting then luckily and she is even more lucky that the gun didn't come apart or that the squib was at the other end of the gun. My nephew is upset and he has called Blazer to see if they are going to do something about the barrel, I told him not to hold his breath since every shooter should know what to do with a squib, especially when I found out that his girlfriend said it was like going from the .357 to a .22. Basic gun safety as I was always taught, and so was he because I taught him. I told him the important part is that both were ok and that to chalk it up to a learning experience for everyone involved. Now he is on the hunt for a new barrel for the gun.

contender

Ruger Guru
The number one thing,,, nobody was hurt.
Your nephew, if he was with her, he should have noticed the different sound, Maybe??? And if she wasn't taught stuff, then she should have been under more supervision.
That said, I wasn't there, and don't know all the things that happened. Plus, I have seen way too many other guns, fired with bullets lodged in the barrel, than I ever care to see. And, they were by men. Tell your nephew to use this as a learning experience, and hopefully, he can get a replacement barrel easily.

6gun

Hunter
Will be interesting to hear what CCI has to say, yes a shooter should know better but CCI still bears some responsibility, in my experience dealing with ATK products I would be real surprised if they didn't step up and make it right I think they will, please update us what your nephew finds out.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
contender said:
The number one thing,,, nobody was hurt.
Your nephew, if he was with her, he should have noticed the different sound, Maybe??? And if she wasn't taught stuff, then she should have been under more supervision.
That said, I wasn't there, and don't know all the things that happened. Plus, I have seen way too many other guns, fired with bullets lodged in the barrel, than I ever care to see. And, they were by men. Tell your nephew to use this as a learning experience, and hopefully, he can get a replacement barrel easily.

"And, they were by men"

What does being a man have to do with it?

contender

Ruger Guru
Nothing really, except that in the cases I'm aware of, the men SHOULD have known better than to fire another round after a squib. I only pointed it out so that nobody would place any blame upon a lady shooter.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
contender said:
Nothing really, except that in the cases I'm aware of, the men SHOULD have known better than to fire another round after a squib. I only pointed it out so that nobody would place any blame upon a lady shooter.

Not all men know about guns just because they are men.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
trapperon said:
and not all women know about guns just because they are women........

And not all women know NOTHING about guns just because they are women :)

6gun

Hunter
Cordite said:
All women know more about everything than men.

Doubt that? Just ask your wife..... :D

Cordite

Well while this post has drifted of topic I have to agree with you :lol:

I'll just add don't ever argue with them either they are always right even when their wrong.

No one is perfect, and yes happens ALL too often,even when "so called experts" are watching, and paying attention??? the shooter can pull back, and try again faster than you can say stop, I know as I saw it happen several times at different ranges with both new, experienced and professional LE doing the shooting, yes, MEN AND WOMEN............
Thank goodness NO _ONE got hurt or blew up the gun, easy enough to repair, learn, and watch out for in the future......... :wink: .
a very GOOD "safety reminder" ( or doesn't your wife remind you???) :roll:

hutchman

Blackhawk
I was out shooting with 3 friends a week or so ago and we were "plinking." Casual shooting as we have all done at one time or another. There were two guys shooting at a shotgun hull on top a box at 25 yards....which is great fun! One shooting a 357 and one a 9mm. The 9mm made a really funny sound and three of us in unison yelled, "STOP!" When we looked there was a bullet lodged in the barrel.

Sometimes even when things go wrong, they go OK.

dakota1911

Buckeye
And hope the bulged barrel is saved someplace it is seen every now and then as a remembrance.

No-1

Single-Sixer
Guy gave me a Super Blackhawk that had a split cylinder. Sent it off to Ruger and they fixed it free. This was in the 80s.