Ruger Grip Panel Woods

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IS there a resource that explains all of the different woods Ruger used for grip panels and examples of what they looked like? I can identify walnut pretty easily but it is differentiating between the other woods Ruger used in the 80's (rosewood, coco bolo, goncalo alves, etc.) or thereabouts I struggle with.

Thanks

Last edited:
For example, I think that these panels are rosewood, am i correct?

Attachments

• IMG_4198.jpeg
    IMG_4198.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4197.jpeg
    IMG_4197.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 26

woodsy

Blackhawk
I doubt it. I have made bunches of furniture and accessories from Rosewood and the general appearance is different. It was named Rosewood both for its color(s) and its smell when cutting. Most of it nowadays is restricted regarding importation.

I do think those are rosewood. I have had many rosewood grips, surprisingly different in color or other appearance.

Investigating rosewood, rosewood is pretty generic for multiple varieties of wood from South America.

But the more I enlarge those photos, I'm now also questioning what they are. The backside of the unfinished grip looks wal-nutty.
The grain resembles walnut but it is too reddish to be I think….but that is why i am asking the forum!