Ruger No 1V Scope Base Height

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AKMATT

Bearcat
Consider me a newbie. I have a No 1V from the 70's that I purchased unfired and in pristine shape. I was looking at the bases mounted on the barrel and see that one base is obviously higher than the other. I know that is not a mistake and that is the way they are made. How do you get the scope rings to line up on the scope is my question? I can lap them, but I am afraid they will look rather elliptical when I am done.

Can anyone recommend either different bases or another alternative like rings with plastic inserts? What is the preferred solution and what is the easiest solution?

I appreciate your cosnideration and responses.

AKMatt

picketpin

Buckeye
The bases are different due to the taper of the barrel. If you lay a level across the tops can you get it touchng both bases And get the bubble between the lines? The scopes/bases is supposed to be square to the BORE nothing else.

There is a possability that it may have the bases for a #3 on it in error.
Burris does or at least did make a Signature ring with the offset plastic interior spacers, that fir Ruger bases.

I own a LOT of #1s in the "V" variation/configuration. I have never had a problem using factory bases with factory rings and getting it all to work.

Sorry I'm in the house and don't have the micromiter handy. I'll try and mike them tonight.

Ross

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Another possibility (other than #3 bases) is that the front base is turned around? This would result in things being off kilter.
LC

And welcome to the forum.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
If this No.1 is from the early '70's, then it may have target scope blocks with the 7"+ spacing. The front one of these is definitely taller. That could be a possibility?

Flanker

Bearcat
I was told by a friend that my scope bases are Ruger ones supplied with the rifle and I should be careful with them as they're expensive to replace. Maybe you need bases to suit your rifle?
Flanker

picketpin

Buckeye
The front base is allways taller than the rear base, regardless off when the barrel/rifle was made. The rear base is on the flat of the barel above the chamber closest to the reciever. This is the thin base you have. The second/front base quite a bit thicker becuase it goes forward and is installed in a position AFTER the barrel starts to taper.

The nut to tighten the rings should be on the left side. IN other words the detent for the recoil stud on the rings, is positioned towards the muzzle of the rifle.

If you in fact have #1 bases and a "V" barrel contour this should place the scope perpendicular to the bore of the rifle as long as you use Ruger or others rings of exactly the same higth.

I once installed #3 bases on a #1 and spent years getting it right finnally using two different rings from two different manufacturers. It wasn't till years later I learned what I had donewrong to start with.

The "V" barrel hasn't changed in contour since day one, 1970. The earliest "V" rifles had two sets of holes but were scaced well appart for the use of Unertl, Redfield and other LONG Target scopes, later they added the set in the middle for the use of mdern short tubed scopes.

Last set of "factory" bases bought from Ruger, this summer cost me $58, I think, and shipping

If you have the correct bases and rings and install them correctly it's a pretty fool proof system.

If you have to the bases can actual be shimmed vertically and the rings can be shimmed to change inpact horizontaly. I've only had to do this a very few times in over 100 #1s and those were with REALLY high magnification scopes that couldn't be zeroed/bore sighted without doing it due the limmited number of "clicks" in the scope. Neaarly all scopes have enough latitude to adjust to any off cneter holes in the barrel. Only when you get up around 32X and above and have 1/16" clicks do you sometimes run out of adjustment.

Second thought:

In re-reading your initial post. If your rifle is from the VERY EARLY (prior to 1975 - 1976) 70s it is possible that the center set of base holes was installed by a smith in order to not have to use a long target scope. At that time there was no "standard" spacing for the middle set as the factory wasn't doing it back then. Even if the screw holes are the correct distance apart they may be in a different position on the barrel than the factory eventually used AND built the bases for.

Buehler made a scope base specifically for the early "V" rifles that used the back set of holes plus one additional that didn't show once the base was installed. I have these on sevral EARLY "V" and infact just sent one to another shoot er this summer that didn't care about "holes" and just wanted to be able to scope his rifle and shoot it without the exspense and time involved in finding Unertl or Redfield era correct bases and scopes.

I'll dig out the mike. First thing you need to do is call Ruger and find out exactly WHEN your rifle shipped. It is possible that it shipped early enough that the center set of holes are in fact not factory and are in the incorrect position for factory bases to work.

Let us know what you find out and we'll try and help. IF it's already got extra holes, thus has lost it's "collector" value it might be easier to use the Buehler base and rings than figure out exactly what base it was originally set up for if was NOT the factory base.

Ross

AKMATT

Bearcat
:roll:

I put the rings on and gave it a good look and they look pretty close. I took a Wheeler scope aligning kit and placed the 2 steel bars in the rings and tightened them a bit. The points of the alignment bars are off maybe 1/64".

So, I looked at my serial # and see the gun was made in 1990-1991. I look at the barrel and there are 2 target blocks about where you would expect them to be close to the receiver. I pulled out the old measuring tape and eye balled it at 3.78" from the base hole closest to the receiver to the base hole on the front base closest to the muzzle. I hope that helps.

There is also another set of holes for a front base much further in front of those 2 with screws in them.

I am thinking I am not having as much problems as I thought I was. Thanks so much for the input and patience.

Embarassed,

AKMATT

picketpin

Buckeye
Sounds like your good to go. The forward set is still there incase you want to use a long Unertl or Redfield scoep and externally zeroed scope base.

Yours is new enough that all three sets of holes are factory and you should be well withintolerances. Whether you lap in the rings is upto you but I probably would mount the scope and as long as it will bore sight, which it should, you are good to go.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Ross