Ruger Old army

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
When buying the 4 cylinders the fellow brought out an Old Army in really exc condition. Don't know if he has the box but it has no adj sights like mine. Are they worth more...more rare?? He seemed to think so. He said he'd take 500 for it. Worth that kind of price??

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
It's nice...fired in the past but not a lot...clean no rust very light thinning of blue on bbl end and front edge of cylinder. Think it had a flap holster too. Don't know the brand of that

In the condition you describe, that Old Army is very likely worth $500.

Fixed sight models tend to command a premium.
(Less of them made vs. adjustable sight models.)

Ignoring practicality, fixed sights just look "right" on a C&B revolver! 🤠

Fixed sight models routinely came in both 5.5" barrel or 7.5" barrel configurations. The 5.5" barrel tends to bring more. (Again, supply/demand.)

The later Old Army revolvers (toward the end of their run) have the "Warning" statement rollmarked on the bottom of the barrel. TO ME, this makes a revolver a little more desirable.

Online auctions aren't the only place to get current pricing… nor necessarily the best… but they're readily available, easily searched, and current. (Make sure you're looking at listings that actually SOLD, though!)

A GunBroker search for Completed Items shows a number of fixed-sight Old Armies. It also backs up arfmel's suggestion. that it's "potentially a pretty good deal."

Finally… if the holster were an OEM Ruger "Practical Holster," that could potentially boost the value by $100 (give or take).

contender

Ruger Guru
The fixed sighted guns are more desirable than normal because of the lower production numbers. At $500 and if in good condition,, BUY THE GUN!!!!!!!!

Flap holsters,, for the Old Army that were made by Bianchi,, were only done for the 7-1/2" barreled guns. But they will have the Ruger eagle on the flap, and "made by Bianchi for Ruger on the back. And yes,, they are worth an extra $100.

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
$500 for any decent Old Army?!..
6591.jpeg

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
`Thanks for the comments guys I don't know the length of the bbl. Looked at the gun but don't remember the length...DUH! Seemed shorter to me. I was kinda looking at aa S&W 22 he had too. I have a blue AS with 7 1/2 in. Never shot it. Got plenty of stuff to shoot ...I do have another BP pistol that I have shot but it is a SS copy of a Remington 58. The only thing I know about the Holster I think it was brown. I'll see the fellow Saturday. I also picked up another Ruger item or two...an older Super Blackhawk grip frame and a Ruger hammer and some internals for a single action.

Jbar4Ranch

Bearcat
Unless it's a complete rust bucket, $500 is a very good buy for a 7 1/2" fixed sight ROA - $1000 is not uncommon. If it's a 5 1/2"er, it's a very, very good buy.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I forgot to follow up on this thread. The OA was 5 1/2 inch. I bought it. The 7 1/2 AS is now in the holster. A local fellow really anted the sightless gun...really. So it left. I started thinking about age etc. Have decided to sell some more of my stuff. Have a Ruger O/U that is going. I don't shoot 12 ga enough to keep it. Going to the Billings Show tomorrow with my BH 32 H&R Mag/32-20 to sell....and a S&W M&P Adj sight 32-20 from 1907-08. Taking a first year Winchester M-12 12ga with two xtra bbls I fitted to and a Rem 1100 Small Gauge 28/410 matched pair from 69/70

i forgot to follow up on this