Ruger P345 - good choice for first .45?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Knecht

Single-Sixer
I'm thinking about getting the P345. Unlike other Ruger guns, this model seems to be imported very rarely to our country (no idea why), so I don't have much chance to handle one before I order it.
I'd like to know your opinion on it - I know this is a place for people who love Rugers, but I need to hear both positive and negative comments. It's quite complicated for me to return it if something goes wrong, so if there is some issue I should be aware of, some part that requires to be changed often...please let me know.
Also, I've never owned a .45 before. Is this a good gun to start with this caliber?
One more question - any chance to rebuild the mag release for left-handed user?
Thanks

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
The P345 was my first real handgun aside from a .22 lr. It was flawless and I never had a single failure of any kind after ~500 rounds. To be honest, I just never got very attached to that gun for some reason and traded it towards a Super Redhawk .44 mag for deer hunting. I can definitely recommend the gun as easy to shoot, reliable and accurate.

The main problem that you will see among the P345 is that people were dry-firing the gun without a magazine installed. This is a big no-no and the owner's manual states not to do that in several places.

I don't believe that you'll be able to rebuild the mag release for left hand use, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone that knows more than I can chime in on this one.

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
I have one and enjoy it immensely. My P345 is accurate and reliable. I would recommend it to anyone who wanted an inexpensive .45 acp. As much as I love the P345, I would probably give the edge to the P90 over the p345 to someone who may have difficulty returning the product to ruger for service, if needed. Neither gun is likely to need any parts that need to be changed frequently.

Yawn

Blackhawk
I too was looking to get into the .45ACP caliber. I looked at and did get to handle a P345. It didn't feel weighted right in my hand. I have very big hands. The grip seemed shorter then my SR9. It just felt top heavy too me, like there wasn't enough grip in my hands to keep the metal slide balance with the polymer frame. Also, as was mentioned, the safety clicks up to fire. This was a problem for me because my SR9 safety clicks down to fire... so in a Self Defense situation, that could mean life or death. One guy told me to have the safety always off, especially because it is a Double Action Pistol. But, that is still not working for me. So, I passed on it.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Thanks, everyone.
So far I only have two handguns and neither of them has a safety, so I'm not used to any kind of safety switch yet and thus open to any new gun.

I think I'll give it a try...after the LC9 (or something similar, not really sure yet)

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Don't let the safety throw you, you really don't need to use it because with the hammer down (engage the safety, the hammer decocks then disengage the safety), I consider the gun safe to carry in double action mode.

What I like about the gun:
the gun eats any ammo, semi wadcutters etc.
it handles recoil very well
relatively light weight and easy to carry
it's relatively thin with a thin grip
very accurate
so far over 800 rounds totally 100% reliable
double strike capability
single action /double action

Yawn

Blackhawk
I am glad that people like the gun. I mentioned above why I do not. Having said that, there is one part of my post I would like to expand on. I also personally hate DA trigger pulls. I "CAN" hit a target on one, but I am not nearly as accurate as I am with a Single Action trigger pull or a striker pull. And, if accuracy is King, then the DA trigger has been dethroned for me!

revhigh

Hawkeye
Anthony Williams said:
The P-345 by Ruger is a very good handgun in my opinion. It will do everything it was designed to do_____period.

A.W.

Whadda you know AW ... you fish by throwing guns in the lake ...

How ya doin' stranger ? :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
btrumanj said:
Don't own one myself but If Anthony Williams hasn't thrown it in the lake, it's a dang good pistol. :)

LOL !!! :D I hadn't seen your comment when I posted mine. Some things you can just never live down.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
My buddy bought a used P345 for his wife and it runs flawlessly and has a great trigger, so he decided to get a new one for himself. His had to be torn completely apart to remove very small bits of steel left in the gun by the tooling and the trigger was horrible until he smoothed the hammer/sear contact. I think he removed over 20 tiny bits of metal from inside but it is flawless now and the trigger is great also. We chuckle about Rugers being sold "with some assembly required". I guess it can happen with any manufacturer of any product. BTW, I hit a small empty propane cylinder with his P345 at 115 yds with one shot from a bench, so that pistol will shoot!

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all those opinions. I'll think about this gun yet. The only problem is, it's not being regularly imported here and if I make a special order, then with all custom payments, import license and all the crap around, the pistol will cost me about as much as a .45 Glock (sure, those are imported too, but I guess that sharing the border with Austria and being both in EU, it's not that pricey to get them here). Not saying I'm gonna buy Glock, I actually don't like them much, just comparing the price.
I want to add some .45 to my collection and I love Ruger guns, so I'd like to get the P345, but not sure if for such price.
I was really lucky to get both my other Rugers for great prices, also some of the regularly imported ones are not that expensive here, either, but a custom order seems to be a tough one.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Knecht said:
Thanks for all those opinions. I'll think about this gun yet. The only problem is, it's not being regularly imported here and if I make a special order, then with all custom payments, import license and all the crap around, the pistol will cost me about as much as a .45 Glock (sure, those are imported too, but I guess that sharing the border with Austria and being both in EU, it's not that pricey to get them here). Not saying I'm gonna buy Glock, I actually don't like them much, just comparing the price.
I want to add some .45 to my collection and I love Ruger guns, so I'd like to get the P345, but not sure if for such price.
I was really lucky to get both my other Rugers for great prices, also some of the regularly imported ones are not that expensive here, either, but a custom order seems to be a tough one.

I am fascinated by your response, and I'm also quite curious about freedom in other countries. What kind of restrictions do you face in the Czech Republic? Can you own as many handguns as you want are there licenses involved etc.?

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Ok, I'll try to answer this.
Generally - we can own guns, we can carry them, we can own as many as we like (but they are not really cheap here, so your wallet is the limit).
Yes, we have to get a license first. Without a license, all 18+ year old citizens may own (and carry if they wish so) muzzleloaders with one or two shots (so not a percussion revolver for example, but a double barelled percussion shotgun is ok). Also all historical weapons (made before 1890) are in the same category as muzzleloaders.

As for modern guns, you have to get a license. Must be 21+ to get it (with exceptions for hunting purposes and sporting, those can be younger, but can't carry the guns; just use them at the range or while hunting)
To get a license, you have to pass exams - a test of knowledge of gun laws, self defence laws, first aid and such, plus pass some basic target shooting and safe handling of the guns.
When you pass, the cops check your criminal history - if you are clear, it's ok; if not - it varies - some crimes make you a lifetime gun-less guy, others make you to wait couple years before you can ask for that.
You also have to get a confirmation from your doctor that you are ok to have guns (not a big deal).
After you pass these, you get your magic card and can start buying.
Then again, the bureaucracy comes.
Some guns are A-category - mostly military guns, machine guns, all automatic ones and such - for those, you must ask for an exception to buy and have some good reason (collecting is one of them, but then you can't legally use the gun, except of range). Many times they also reject your exception.
B category means most handguns, semi-auto rifles, short barrelled shotguns and such. For these, you must get a buy permission from the police, which is more like a formality, as they don't make you any trouble to get it. These guns generally are ok to carry, as long as concealed in public.
C category - most hunting guns (except of semi-auto), bolt action and lever action rifles etc. No buy permisssion needed.
For A,B and C - EVERY gun of these categories you buy must be registered at the police within 10 days after you've bought it. Then you wait for about a week to get an ID card for every gun you register. When you carry a gun, you must also carry this card and your license card.

I'll write some more if you want, but have to go now, it's getting late here.

Latest posts