My Woods-Carry Choice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
Around here, an S&W M&P 340 with the first two as CCI "Big Shot" snake loads, followed by three Black Talons. When I have gone places where the odds of an encounter are greater, it's either been a 629 4" or a G32C

Hertervillian

Saluki
IMG_4018.jpeg
The Better Millimeter option, when getting hurt is possible.
IMG_4002.jpeg
Primary woods carry, .327Fed ain't no joke. If Grouse are in season you can bet a couple 32S&WL wadcutters are first up to bat! My favorite handgun so far.

harley08

Blackhawk
Through the course of the past two years, I have been chasing a new woods-carry pistol to replace my well worn and trusty Gen 2 Glock model 20 10mm.

I started my quest by buying a Smith and Wesson MP2.0 10mm Compact. This pistol was an absolute wreck and three trips back to the factory failed to correct its chronic FTF rate. I moved on to a Beretta Px4 full-size Storm 45 APC. I found it to be a decent enough piece, but a little top heavy and quick target acquisition with it was a little challenging. I then purchased a HK 45 and learned why there are HK Snobs. I could become one-what a dandy handgun. But I really wanted a 10mm, so I bought a Springfield XD Elite 10mm. I ran all seven of the real (1250 fps rated)10mm factory loadings through the Springfield that the Smith consistently puked without a single issue. It was a big handgun, but I could make it work for my intended purpose.

However, l still felt the need to find a new formula for the triangle. I solved my quest by purchasing a Ruger American Pistol Compact 45 Auto (ACP) 3.75in Gray Cerakote Pistol. It may not be a 10, but I believe being able to shoot it reasonably well using Underwood 45 APC+P 255gr. Hard Cast Flat Nose serves my purposes for a handy and reliable woods-carry handgun very well.
I do not buy any S & W guns any more since a I bought brand new S & W .357 revolver that I loaded up with factory .38 specials. I fired and it blew up in my hand. Fortunately I wan not hurt, but the revolver was blown apart.
I sent it back to S & W and explained to them what happened. They sent me the gun back with a note that went something like this - Send us $600.00 and we will send you a new one. *WHAT?*
I went and bought a Ruger revolver! If something breaks on a new Ruger - Ruger will fix it or replace it.
S & W is worthless to me. - I do own a military WW2 S & W Victory .38 special, maybe they knew how to make them back then? Do NOT buy anything from Smith and Wesson!
Rocko Rizzo

RC44Mag

Buckeye
No brownies where I live so my S&W 686 .357 will accompany me where I venture upstate. A S&W 2.0 10mm was on my shopping list but hearing so many bad issues with the new Smith autos I decided a Gen 5 Glock 20 will be coming home here in the not to distant future. The price is right and they're apparently very trouble free. Never thought I'd go Glock but the times they are a changing.