Concealed Carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Arguing that the less trained are not more likely to have holstering, or drawing negligent discharges than professionals, is like making the argument that because one person dies wearing a seat belt (and thousands others are saved by them) makes not wearing one sensible.

My point was that newbies are likely to be super careful as they are not yet comfortable having a gun on their person, whereas a police officer or someone who has carried for years might well become onchalant about it and get careless. I recall how much I thought about printing, or about raising my arm which might expose the weapon, etc. and now, to be honest, I go about my normal activities without much thought about the gun on my belt or in my pocket. Sitting down on a toilet, however, always reminds me of the need for a bit more care.

Accidental or negligent discharges virtually always involve someone having their finger on the trigger when they shouldn't, or having something get into the trigger guard while holstered, or so it appears to me. When I carry, usually pocket carry with a pocket holster, nothing goes into that pocket besides the holstered gun. Not even a tissue or a piece of paper with what I need to pick up at the grocery store. And I never put my hand into the holster unless I am concerned that I might have to draw the gun within moments. I really do not worry about an accidental discharge.

jkingrph

Bearcat
One in the chamber or not?
One up the spout, hammer cocked and safety on. That's for my little Sig P938, a micro 1911 that I use for pocket carry. Same for the Sig P365, except no hammer, I still use a safety, because every semi auto I have has a safety and I am used to them.

When I first started carrying a semi auto, I was always feeling to make sure the safety was engaged, no more, you get used to it after a while and simply do not realize it is there,

Bubbas358

Bearcat
Quite simply, my "empty chamber" guns are in the safe. I treat them all like they are loaded. And the best place for the empty chamber is either cleaning pad, or my safe.

owldo

Bearcat
A decocked da/sa would be a condition 2 ( like my lcr). Nice. I carried an sp2022 sig for a while. What are you carrying,
S&W 3913 ... is my main ... Also use a colt 1903 Hammer-less !

sw-mod-3913-2.gif

S&W 3913 ... is my main ... Also use a colt 1903 Hammer-less !

sw-mod-3913-2.gif
Glad you mentioned the 1903 hammerless.

My late uncle (Tom) gave me his 1903 just before he died (2012). His gun was manufactured in 1923, the same year Tom was born. Tom's father, a drag line operator constructing dams in Louisiana, bought the 1903 for personal protection on the job. Tom's father gave the 1903 to Tom in 1940 when Tom enlisted in the Navy.

Tom kept the gun, rarely firing it, until he gave it to me. I never fired it. Instead, I gave it to my son, a career Army Blackhawk pilot.

Yesterday my son called to say he and his bride shot the 1903 at an indoor pistol range in Killeen, TX near Fort Hood (OK - Fort Cavazos for you revisionists) and fired the 1903. He remarked how sweet it shot, but that it had frequent FTFs/FTEs. He lamented how difficult it was to source replacement parts or obtain proper disassembly/repair/reassembly information.

Tom's 1903 is blued and entirely "original equipment." I told my son to keep it as a memento. 1903s don't have significant value to collectors, at least right now, but who knows.

I also gave my son a Savage .22/410 over/under (made by Stevens Arms) that my grandfather bought in 1940. He taught me to shoot it when I was 5 years old. We shot turtles and snakes in the Trinity River Bottom in east Dallas in the early 1950s. That one, too, is a memento piece.

Mike J

Hunter
America I hear it's nice.
About 12 years ago I made some trips to Michigan from Georgia to pick up boats for my brother-in-law. I checked the gun laws of the states I drove through. Ohio didn't recognize Georgia so I did unload & lock down my sidearm when I drove through there. Before the next trip I made I figured out Indiana did recognize Georgia & it was less than a half hour difference in time to go that way. I went through Indiana the next trip.

gatling

Blackhawk
Glad you mentioned the 1903 hammerless.

My late uncle (Tom) gave me his 1903 just before he died (2012). His gun was manufactured in 1923, the same year Tom was born. Tom's father, a drag line operator constructing dams in Louisiana, bought the 1903 for personal protection on the job. Tom's father gave the 1903 to Tom in 1940 when Tom enlisted in the Navy.

Tom kept the gun, rarely firing it, until he gave it to me. I never fired it. Instead, I gave it to my son, a career Army Blackhawk pilot.
You know, you can still purchase a brand new 1903 from Colt. I've never seen them advertised, but when I visited the Colt plant I saw one in the Custom Shop and the person who was showing me around told me that yes, they are still available. Colt subcontracts with an outside machine shop for the parts that make up a 1903 and they fit them together in the Custom Shop.

IMG_3179-600.jpg

Last edited:

owldo

Bearcat
You know, you can still purchase a brand new 1903 from Colt. I've never seen them advertised, but when I visited the Colt plant I saw one in the Custom Shop and the person who was showing me around told me that yes, they are still available. Colt subcontracts with an outside machine shop for the parts that make up a 1903 and they fit them together in the Custom Shop.
Beautiful ! If that were stainless I'd love it even more ... but, I have a feeling it's nickle plated ?

Paul B

Hunter
"Condition 1 carry is no joke. It is for an immanent threat, not walking around in a walmart."

You don't shop at my nearest Walmart. Always have two deputy sheriffs on hand and four on weekends stating at 12 noon on Friday.

My usual cary ever since I got my first one at age 16 has been a Colt 1911 .45 ACP of some sort. It wasn't even legal for me to have back then but I carried one anyway. Never could get a permit in San Francisco even when I did the money drop at the Day and Night branch of Bank of America. My maternal Grandmother did a money drop every night from the hotel she managed. Sometimes deposits sere as high as $10K+. Not a good enough reason said the wise rulers of the city by the bay. Local beat cops knew I carried and why. They left me alone. We never had a problem. I always carried it in condition one, cocked and locked.

Current carry piece today is a Colt all steel Combat Commander in .45 ACP. Again, it's carried condition one. It's very easy to slip off the safety with your thumb during the draw all in one smooth move.

Back up gun is an S&W M60 .38 Spl. in my right front pocket.

An awful lot of water has passed under the bridge since I first started carrying a gun for whatever reason. I formed the opinion that condition one was probably the best option going early on and nothing has convinced me to change my mind.

One handgun a do like that's not a 1911 design is an S&W 6906, a design that dates back to the 1938 Walther P-38 with the same faults. They got the safety bass ackwards. All the full size S&W safeties work that was, Baretta does as well. At least the Russians and Taurus got it right and put the safety on the frame where it can be released by a downward flick of the shooter's thumb. Think about that for a while.
Paul B.

hpman66

Hunter
A lesson on distance and defense from the Las Cruces PD. And why your sidearm should be quickly accessible with one in the chamber and safety off. People often choose comfort with no printing, over accessibility. A carried sidearm is supposed to be comforting, not necessarily comfortable.