Concealed Carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tom-R2

Bearcat
If you are unsure, it sounds like the best course of action at this point is to be sure you have a quality firearm and seek out a real training course, not rely on Billy-Joe-Bob at the range or down the street to give you some points. A real training course will teach you the proper techniques and give you the confidence to be safe with your handgun. I'm a huge fan on carrying a concealed firearm for self protection, but I also personally believe that you have a high level of responsibility to go with that right. Personally, I always carry pistols with a round in the chamber, and carry revolvers with a full cylinder. I always advocate carrying concealed within the laws of your area, or wherever you happen to travel. Best of luck, be safe and have fun.

Fredo

Bearcat
Thanks. I'm in Arizona so concealed carry is not an issue. I'm brand new to firearms and aside from taking the CCW course I also took a course in basic pistol fundamentals. I'm 72 and I'm taking things in steps. I want to just get used to carrying before I move to one in the chamber

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the gun you plan on carrying is the Security 9 you mentioned in another thread?

If that's correct, the pistol has a number of safety feature's including a manual safety, and a hammer block. Doesn't get much safer than that. I understand your desire to get used to carry before moving to one in the chamber, but by doing so you'll have to "unlearn" what you got used to (draw, rack, flip safety off, then pull the trigger) when you do make the transition to one up, safety off. Every extra thought process and motion adds to your reaction time and is a potential point of failure. In an assault, you might have 3 to 4 seconds to draw and start throwing lead if you're lucky. If you aren't lucky you might have 2 seconds or less. Even with one up safety off, not many people can draw and shoot in under 2 sec and those that can, practice a lot. Often every day, or at least once a week. You don't need to expend ammo for that kind of practice. As has been said many times: Train & practice how you'll fight, and fight how you've trained and practiced.

A final note: Range and polite society rules don't apply on the street, or in your house, when you're looking at the face of death.

Last edited:

Fredo

Bearcat
Yes it's a security 9 with a safety. I appreciate your taking the time to respond. Sounds like sensible advice. Thanks

flyboy

Bearcat
Thanks. I'm in Arizona so concealed carry is not an issue. I'm brand new to firearms and aside from taking the CCW course I also took a course in basic pistol fundamentals. I'm 72 and I'm taking things in steps. I want to just get used to carrying before I move to one in the chamber
I have a carry in NY and carry a rugar pocket revolver in a sticky holster. It's a 22LR with the hottest 22LR rounds I can find

I was taught carry, maintain situational awareness, run first, hide, and then pull your weapon and the last resort is firing…..We own all the rounds coming out of the gun…..

Always expect the unexpected ……….I have practiced this for years flying aircraft

Thanks
flyboy

It seems odd to see this same question raised so many times over the years. Then I remind myself that we get new people joining the forum and I assume most don't go back into the dim past looking at old threads.

I've always carried with one in the chamber, recognizing that the time I might have to draw and fire might be so short that if I had to rack the slide as well I might be dead before getting the chance to shoot. Plus for most people it takes two hands to do (I know one handed operation is possible but not likely that a new shooter would have a clue as to how to do it.). The entire reality of carrying a loaded handgun takes some time to get used to. I would bet that many young LEO's who never carried prior to being a police officer are acutely aware of carrying, for at least awhile until it becomes second nature.

When I first started to carry a concealed gun It was constantly on my mind. I had to resist the urge to "check" on where the gun was. I was obsessed with not printing. I was pretty sure that everyone around me was checking me out to see if I were carrying. I carry every day, every time I leave my house, and while I try to be as situationally aware as possible, I do not even think about the gun I am carrying, a gun that is ready to fire. Most commonly I have a Ruger LC9s, with the manual safety off, in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, and have no fear that somehow the gun will go off in my pocket. And I know that if need be, I could fire at least one round while the gun was in my pocket if I had to do so just by pulling the trigger.

buzzm

Bearcat
I carry a Ruger LCPII, sometimes with a belly belt in the winter, sometimes in a pocket.
I do not chamber a round, and I always carry with the safety on.
I pray I never have to use it.........

Mike J

Hunter
If I am carrying a pistol there is a round in the chamber. I have never had to use a firearm to defend myself but I believe if I do I will most likely be trying to catch up to what is going on. Even if I suspect someone doesn't look right & is up to something I can not act until the trouble starts. I will have to be watching (observing), orient myself to what is going on, make a decision about what is necessary & act. I don't know that I will have time to chamber a round.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
If I am carrying a pistol there is a round in the chamber. I have never had to use a firearm to defend myself but I believe if I do I will most likely be trying to catch up to what is going on. Even if I suspect someone doesn't look right & is up to something I can not act until the trouble starts. I will have to be watching (observing), orient myself to what is going on, make a decision about what is necessary & act. I don't know that I will have time to chamber a round.

Even if you have the time to chamber a round, it's not uncommon for people under extreme stress to screw it up, and make a bad situation worse.