Ruger revolver for Bear hunting?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Webster1967

Bearcat
I've killed a few deer with my 44 mags , Super Blackhawk and Redhawk. I know my limits and my ammo choices can very well take a bear in North Carolina. Also with my new to me Blackhawk in 45 is also capable too. I keep thinking about a 454 or 475 just to hedge my bets.
Anyone here done any handgun hunting for bear, and what you used?

ALK08

Bearcat
Yeah, a Super red (or black) hawk .44 with some HSM bear loads will do the job for sure. Barrel length is up to you. My brothers got a red-hawk with the 5.5 and that thing is dang accurate. Its what he carry's in Montana, and also keeps on hand during bear season in case he can get in close to use it.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I live in WNC,, and my normal handgun for bear hunting is a .45 Colt. And I do own a .454, a .480, & others. I'm using a MP cast 280 grn powder coated SWC design bullet.
We do have some big bears in NC,, and I never feel undergunned with a .45 Colt.
I see you own a .45 Colt revolver. If it is not a Ruger, then I have a warning for yo when buying manufactured ammo. There are 3 high powered .45 LC ammo made that is really only for Ruger revolvers since they are so heavy duty. I have one that is also a convertible (swap out the .45LC cylinder for a .45acp one), and a flattop, which has less steel. This flattop is not suppose to be used with the top two heavy loads (all three are made by Buffalo Bore) because it is not strong enough. I have fired the round that produces 1,213 ft. lbs, and it takes a glove and two hands! But the normal .45 Colt made by Ruger that is NOT a flattop should be able to shoot the other two heavy rounds with no problem, apart from your hand or arm! The round I have shoot has quite a kick and bag.

When comparing this .45LC load to the .44 Mag, they come somewhat close. The max .45 LC round is 1,344, and the max .44Mag load is 1,533 ft. lbs. have a file that has the ballistics info on 35 handgun and 25 rifle caliber, with links to the web to purchase all this ammo. So if interested at all, just message me here. It is free, and comes as a PDF file. If you load your own and have a chronograph, the ballistics info alone may be of interest to you.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
As long as you are (a) hunting BLACK BEAR and (b) don't expect to be charged, then any of the 357, 41, 44 mags or a 454, etc., or hot loaded 45 Colt should suffice. Things change when hunting something other than a black bear or when the animal is unsuspecting (i.e. no adrenaline surge). Best bet: Break Bone!!!

BTW: I carry 45 Colt with LeHigh bullets made by Underwood for woods walking in grizzly country (especially where moose may be present). Might consider a G20 or G29 in 10mm. That's what the Sirius Ski Patrol in Denmark carry on their 4–6-month patrols in polar bear country!

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I also had Gary Reeder make me upo a 5 shot, 454 Super Black Hawk for bear country but gave it to my daughter when I retired as a Wildlife Biologist (she's in Flagstaff and goes fishing in Alaska every few years).

1710789103076.png

Fujicon

Bearcat
Have not done bear hunting with a handgun, and kudos to those above who like that sport. That said, when it comes to the unpredictability of bears (some fall easily, some act as if they're indestructible*), my motto is you can never have too much in hand. My defense sidearm when hunting is either a 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh, never less.

*An example of their surprising resilience...
My uncle shot a largish black bear who collapsed in a shallow creek. Appeared dead, but he walked up and placed one between the eyes just to make sure the kill was complete. Walked over a low hill to let us known he got a bear. Came back and that bear had crawled another 20 yards out of that creek

contender

Ruger Guru
vlavalle I had to chuckle a bit at your post.

I'm an "old hand" when it comes to the .45 Colt. And yes,, most of mine are Rugers. I do own a T/C Contender barrel, and an El Dorado SA in .45 Colt.

I am fully aware of the differences in the Rugers,, and others.

I also handload my own ammo. You must have missed the part of my post about using a cast MP 280 grn powder coated bullet. I cast my own, and when I load,, I load for accuracy. Pushing the limits,, or thinking I have to have "rocks & dynamite" loads etc is not me.
If I need more power,, I have a .454 Casull Fa,, and a Ruger .480.

I do appreciate the info,, as other folks may need to understand the differences in both the guns & the ammo.

One thing to think about with shooting bears, they usually have a nice layer of fat to plug up a wound channel, so I believe a good pass thru with exit wound helps them bleed out and hopefully leave a trail, in case you don't drop them at the shot. I've use heavy 44, 45 Colt, and 454 on many. A flat meplat or light cup point penetrate deep, and (1 recovered front to back) mostly full pass thrus.

Webster1967

Bearcat
Good info and discussion "Everyone "! And yes all mine are Rugers with my Super Blackhawk 44 mag being my go to. It loves anything 300gr. and I'm pretty confident in it and myself. I keep telling myself I should start reloading so maybe someday. And as far as something larger I keep looking at 454 and 475's! Would love a Freedom Arms but not opposed to a BFR. I know I know, but without going custom Ruger hasn't made one in either caliber to my liking.

Don Lovel

Hunter
Good info and discussion "Everyone "! And yes all mine are Rugers with my Super Blackhawk 44 mag being my go to. It loves anything 300gr. and I'm pretty confident in it and myself. I keep telling myself I should start reloading so maybe someday. And as far as something larger I keep looking at 454 and 475's! Would love a Freedom Arms but not opposed to a BFR. I know I know, but without going custom Ruger hasn't made one in either caliber to my liking.
Why would you need more energy than a 300gr full power 44mag?

TestEngineer

Bearcat
vlavalle I had to chuckle a bit at your post.
Don't chuckle too much. His point about Buffalo Bore ammo is very valid. They have lists of handguns approved for use with their ammo. Lucky for me, Rugers dominate their lists.

I saw a picture of a very nice S&W that tried to shoot BB ammo, but it wasn't on the approved list. Poor gun had a broken frame and a split cylinder. I take the BB warnings seriously.

Paul B

Hunter
Before a bad car wreck and other health related problems stopped me from my time in the boonies I used to explore the desert and the local mountain range. I always carried a powerful handgun just in case a bear or Mountain Lion decide to get a bit too friendly. In more years than I care to count, I've had exactly two incidents with wildlife that required killing.

One was a Mountain Lion on Nevada that was stalking me. I'd scared it off a bit twice, but the third time it was too close for comfort. I was packing a Super Blackhawk .44 as usual but also a rifle chambered to the .243. I used the rifle, then reported the kill to the local game warden. They did an autopsy on the cat and apparently ir had not eaten anything in some time. The stomach was void of all content.

I don't remember the date of the incident with the lion but the bear is still in my memory banks. It was on the labor Day Weekend, 1959, camping with a college age group near Yosemite Nat'l. Park. Along about 2 in the morning I was awakened by a woman screaming and excited yelling by members of the group. When I got out of the tent I saw a Black Bear that was trying to drag a young lady out into the brush and away from camp. I had the only gun in camp, an S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman. The 38/44 Spl. was just a hot rod .38 Spl. load somewhat hotter than the current .38 Spl +P ammo you see today. I think it was also a bit hotter than the .38 Spl. +P+ ammo you hear about. I was shooting my handloads of a 158 gr. cast gas check SWC over a max load of H2400. The 38/44 S&W was the forerunner to the .357 Magnum and a good load in its own right. I took that bear down with two shots. The lady required a bunch of stitched as I recall.

Most of my bear protection guns are Ruger with one S&W 629 that is semi-retired. It doesn't digest really hot loads very well.
One old model Super Blackhawk and one New Model, .44 mag. with 7.5" barrel. An old model flat top .44 Mag and an old model .45 Colt with .45 ACP cylinder. Neither have been converted.

However, my favorites for desert ratting and mountain work gre a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 with 4 5/8" barrel and a regular Blackhawk grip and a Super Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt. I bought the Bisley because of an article by Ross Seyfried where he called it the poor man's custom. I have to say he was right and it handled John Linebaugh's hot loads quite well.

I also have a couple of Redhawks, a 5.5" and 7.5" but I think they're just too darn heavy for what I'd use a potent revolver for.
Paul B.

Last edited: