RUGER SFAR PROBLEM SOLVED UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Enigma

Hunter
Gee, you'd have thought that Ruger would have ensured that the POS actually functioned before they shipped it. Glad to hear that they're more concerned about selling guns, than they are about selling guns that actually work. Seems to be a theme.

LDH®

Bearcat
Just FYI New SFAR 16" had consistently random issues with FTF on gas #2. No issues on #3, but adding a flatwound (David Tubbs) AR15 buffer spring fixed everything. Subsequently added an H2 Buffer which also alleviated some of the recoil albeit nominally, but I left it in just the same. I have since tried 5 different types of ammo from commercial win.308 to M80 NATO and it just eats everything with zero issues.

KneverKnew

Bearcat
Ruger did'nt put the time into the buffer system.After 50rds with FTFeed/bad ejection-esp on NATO pressure...I put on a Vtlor A5 system---200rds later on setting 2--all NATO pressure ejects at 3-330....all commercial/handloads eject at 330-400...Love a properly functioning SFAR..
I know this thread is old. Can you please share the exact parts you installed of the Vtlor A5 System, please? I have various heavyweight buffers for my regular AR. Would swapping those out for the factory Ruger SFAR buffer help?

Courageous Lion

Courageouslion.us Jus Meum Tuebor
HEY ALL...I posted a while back about my problem with my SFAR...NUMEROUS FTF & EJECT AND NO LOCK BACK...thinking it just needed Ruger's "BREAK IN"
I continued to shoot it...after about 125 rounds with a superficial cleaning at 50 rounds, I thoroughly cleaned it...and removed the handguard to clean the regulator and gas block....the set screws were about to fall out and the gas block was VERY loose on the bbl...cleaned it all up and the set screws and set screw holes and loctite'd 'em in....just got back from my club range here in central texas...its VERY hot and humid today...97DEG..but the shooting positions are all covered....fired approx 75 rounds of factory hornady & winchester 150 hunting loads and my fav 150 hunting load with TAC powder...
no more FTF or Eject and rifle locks back on empty magazine..it is throwing the fired cases at 3 to 4 o'clock on
gas setting T W O....
PROBLEM SOLVED....now to write RUGER a nasty note on their exemplary quality control......
Pete in central texas
I had the same issue. They said I was the first one to call in about it. Yeah, sure.

"An H5 buffer is all you need."
GEEZ, that may be an answer but I'm not sure it's the correct answer. H5 is normally used in pistol caliber blow-back systems. The forward impetus of this heavy buffer is probably going to cause damage due to impact of the bolt carrier slamming forward much too hard.

KneverKnew

Bearcat
I've seen improvement with the H3 buffer but think I need to get a flat wound spring that is a bit stronger. Maybe then go down to H2 again. Any suggestions on source for spring and appropriate weight?

Courageous Lion

Courageouslion.us Jus Meum Tuebor
"An H5 buffer is all you need."
GEEZ, that may be an answer but I'm not sure it's the correct answer. H5 is normally used in pistol caliber blow-back systems. The forward impetus of this heavy buffer is probably going to cause damage due to impact of the bolt carrier slamming forward much too hard.
Sorry, an H3 was what I meant to put. I accidentally said H5 which is what the guy had posted. My mistake. Mine is an H3 and now it works just fine. Except the ejector is slamming the brass hard enough to cause a burr that makes it a bit hard to fit the brass into the shell holder. It was even worse before the H3 was installed.

KneverKnew

Bearcat
Even with H3 the two ejectors are cause bright rub marks, and sometimes raising metal burs. An adjustable gas block may be necessary to prevent this. I'm Leary of too strong a spring or heavy a buffer for same reasons mentioned about excessive chambering speeds.

"Even with H3 the two ejectors are cause bright rub marks, and sometimes raising metal burs."
Still sounds like an issue hiding in this statement. In a bolt action, smearing of ejector marks is an indicator of high pressure. In a semi-auto, this can be an indicator of early bolt rotation while pressure in the chamber is still too high.

KneverKnew

Bearcat
"Even with H3 the two ejectors are cause bright rub marks, and sometimes raising metal burs."
Still sounds like an issue hiding in this statement. In a bolt action, smearing of ejector marks is an indicator of high pressure. In a semi-auto, this can be an indicator of early bolt rotation while pressure in the chamber is still too high.
I agree. I think this is related to the problem of over gassing causing the system to try and unlock too soon/ bad timing. So…a new adjustable gas block hopefully will allow to slow things down.

Mike 8939

Bearcat
HEY ALL...I posted a while back about my problem with my SFAR...NUMEROUS FTF & EJECT AND NO LOCK BACK...thinking it just needed Ruger's "BREAK IN"
I continued to shoot it...after about 125 rounds with a superficial cleaning at 50 rounds, I thoroughly cleaned it...and removed the handguard to clean the regulator and gas block....the set screws were about to fall out and the gas block was VERY loose on the bbl...cleaned it all up and the set screws and set screw holes and loctite'd 'em in....just got back from my club range here in central texas...its VERY hot and humid today...97DEG..but the shooting positions are all covered....
Ruger has me Wondering, if they hire chimpanzees to assemble this stuff. I purchased a precision rifle from the custom shop. When it arrived, the brake was completely side ways and put on so tight. I couldn't get it off. I had to take it to a gunsmith to get it off. You would think better. Coming from their custom shop but apparently not

^^No excuse for an improperly 'clocked' muzzle brake.
I much prefer symmetrical muzzle brakes which don't require 'clocking'. I don't shoot prone in a sand box so nothing really beneficial with the closed bottom. It's not like a 5.56/223 needs to direct all the exhaust upward to counter recoil and I'm not at all sure the effect is worthwhile on the bigger calibers either.