Ruger Single Seven 327 Federal Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tbone

Single-Sixer
My very first 327M was the 5.5", I changed up the hammer (Bisley), front sight, Belt Mountain #5 Basepin, slimmed the trigger.
Next acquired the Birdshead, Changed to Bisley Hammer and Black Mikarta grips.
… and then the 5.5" Blue Bisley,,, swapping out the Bisley Grip Frame, for the Brass Keith #5 (RW grip frames) & a BM #5 Basepin.
51972050673_05756bed3d_k.jpg
Can I ask where you got the Bisley hammers from ? I need one for my single 7.

Reactions: JCK

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Unfluted cylinder ?? Sounds intriguing.... Somehow I didn't remember that......now that's on me....that does sound good...more strength. 😊
Actually the non-fluted cylinder doesn't add any strength. It's the seven shot cylinder that adds strength:
Any cylinder with an uneven number of chambers locates the cylinder latch notches in the cylinder between the chambers instead of aligning with the center of the chambers. Cylinder notches aligned with the center of the chambers is always the weakest link of any cylinder.

But I can say I've converted several Ruger .32 H&R mag six shot cylinders to .327 Fed Mag with no cylinder strength problems.

Star43

Blackhawk
Thanks Hondo !! Very interesting about the alignment with the notches on the cylinder being key to the whole thing. The uneven numbers of chambers is adding strength.....That's also good how you converted the 6 shot H&R Mag with no problems to the .327 Fed Mag. 6 shots of .327 !!

davidkachel

Bearcat
I checked my stash and found a SS 4 5/8" .327 Single-Seven. Never been fired. Don't think it will
ever se the range either.
I could be talked out of it. Pse PM me.
I can't seem to find how to send a PM. Please send me one so I can respond. Interested in your "stash".

contender

Ruger Guru
davidkachel,, you have to have at least 10 posts before the PM feature will work if I'm correct. Even though you've been a member for a long time,, post count is a way to try & thwart scammers & hackers.

And a low post count can be a warning sign for buyers or sellers. Active folks tend to be "known" more & there for trusted more.

Star43

Blackhawk
Actually the non-fluted cylinder doesn't add any strength. It's the seven shot cylinder that adds strength:
Any cylinder with an uneven number of chambers locates the cylinder latch notches in the cylinder between the chambers instead of aligning with the center of the chambers. Cylinder notches aligned with the center of the chambers is always the weakest link of any cylinder.

But I can say I've converted several Ruger .32 H&R mag six shot cylinders to .327 Fed Mag with no cylinder strength problems.
Hondo, I just checked out my old H&R 32 Long revolver and my H&R 32 Mag revolver. Yes the regular 32 has a fluted cylinder , and Also the 32 mag revolver's cylinder is also fluted. But the cylinder has the uneven amount of 5 rounds in the Mag gun. Same frame size. So, as you were saying, the fluting didn't make any difference. It was the uneven round count and where cylinder notches aligned that gave it the extra strength for the magnum round. So that is how H&R did it...I still wish that you were my neighbor. 🙂

Rclark

Hunter
One thing I noticed from a lot of the posts is the cost of the ammo itself & the lack of availability
Like the .45 Colt, or the .41, the .327 (not needed), .32 H&R Magnum, other .32 cartridges are 'reloader' cartridges. Availability and price is not a problem in that case. Stick to 9mm and .45 ACP if you want availability I think. Don't know for sure though as I never buy anything factory but .22LR.

Ranger

Single-Sixer
I bought one of the earliest sp101 4.2" .327 ones. I like it quite a bit. I wanted a single 7, stainless bisley; but they never produced the version i sought and i never bought a different one. Of the versions i handled, one I had thought about buying wouldn't even cock when I tried it. Gun shop employee looked at and expressed surprise it left the factory as they obviously hadn't checked before shipping. Obviously, the gun shop hadn't either before putting it on display for sale.

If they come out with a S7, stainless bisley with about a 5" barrel, I'm buying one or maybe two...

Star43

Blackhawk
I bought one of the earliest sp101 4.2" .327 ones. I like it quite a bit. I wanted a single 7, stainless bisley; but they never produced the version i sought and i never bought a different one. Of the versions i handled, one I had thought about buying wouldn't even cock when I tried it. Gun shop employee looked at and expressed surprise it left the factory as they obviously hadn't checked before shipping. Obviously, the gun shop hadn't either before putting it on display for sale.

If they come out with a S7, stainless bisley with about a 5" barrel, I'm buying one or maybe two...
Gee, I would think or hope that problem gun just looked new and was a used gun on consignment. I would not think that any gun could leave the factory if it couldn't be cocked back. They are all tested. Perhaps the gun shop employee was new and didn't really know the gun itself ???

Ranger

Single-Sixer
I would've hoped; but it was brand new. Should have never left the factory or been put on display.

Ranger

Single-Sixer
I really wish the gun companies had an option (at additional cost if necessary) for guns that have been QA checked, tuned, etc.

Star43

Blackhawk
I really wish the gun companies had an option (at additional cost if necessary) for guns that have been QA checked, tuned, etc.
I hear what you are saying, but don't you think we should get a product from any company for that matter that has been built properly to specs and tested to make sure it's right before it leaves the factory.....that's quality control. I mean, gosh, I know it's 2024, and things aren't as they used to be for sure, but to pay extra to some company to check what they just made ?? Where is the pride of manufacturing here ?? Am I wrong in that ??

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
They should take a better look at them before they send them out , no doubt about it . After seeing pics on this forum some inferior guns get shipped . But Ruger makes it right , and they take care of even older guns bought used. I don't know of any other gun maker that stands behind their products as well ?

Star43

Blackhawk
They should take a better look at them before they send them out , no doubt about it . After seeing pics on this forum some inferior guns get shipped . But Ruger makes it right , and they take care of even older guns bought used. I don't know of any other gun maker that stands behind their products as well ?
I agree 100%, and I think that is a big reason we are all here on this forum ......

I'm selling off my collection... slowly... so this isn't a "for sale" post... I haven't even taken any photos of it yet... more of a "heads up." I have a NIB Single Seven SS .327 that I'm planning to sell. When I finally got the photos done and get it posted, I'll put up in a link in the auctions page. So new ones are still out there!

I said it was "NIB." It really is... it still has the yellow disc in the cylinder. A woman brought it into a gunstore, her husband bought it and put it away. Now he was dead and the gunstore owner was a friend... she brought in several of his guns. I bought some of them, that Single Seven, a 1970's S&W M41, a Seecamp .380, and a NIB CZ 75 (the one that can be switched from DA/SA to SA... I forget what they call it.)

So while I have experience with .32 H&R and .327... not with that revolver!

Latest posts