RUGER SINGLE SIX #455296

Help Support Ruger Forum:

victorio1sw

Bearcat
This one left the factory Nov 1966 as a 22 RF and with a matching-numbered 22 Mag cylinder. It was never converted with the safety bar, and I plan to leave it that way. I still like these older semi-flattop frames.

Attachments

• RugerSingleSixSN455296a.jpg
    RugerSingleSixSN455296a.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 36
  • RugerSingleSixSN455296b.jpg
    RugerSingleSixSN455296b.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 28
  • RugerSingleSixSN455296c.jpg
    RugerSingleSixSN455296c.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 34
  • RugerSingleSixSN455296d.jpg
    RugerSingleSixSN455296d.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 28
  • RugerSingleSixSN455296e.jpg
    RugerSingleSixSN455296e.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 31
  • RugerSingleSixSN455296f.jpg
    RugerSingleSixSN455296f.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 37
  • RugerSingleSixSN455296g.jpg
    RugerSingleSixSN455296g.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 30
  • RugerSingleSixSN455296h.jpg
    RugerSingleSixSN455296h.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 26
  • RugerSingleSixSN455296i.jpg
    RugerSingleSixSN455296i.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 27
  • RugerSingleSixSN455296j.jpg
    RugerSingleSixSN455296j.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 29

contender

Ruger Guru
Good looking package there!! In fact,, by your pictures,, all that's missing is the wax paper wrap, the 3-piece warranty card, and the outer "book wrap" shipping sleeve, and the box for the spare cylinder. All but the shipper is easily found if you want to make it more complete.

A GENTLE comment about nomenclature. To assist newer folks in what us old timer collectors use as somewhat correct wording when describing our beloved Rugers, we try & standardize how we describe things. Often,, many folks (non-Ruger types) mis-label a Single-Six fix sighted gun as a "Flattop". This isn't correct. No flat topped Single-Six guns were factory produced. And the term "Flattop" came about once Ruger started offering the rear sight protection, or "ears" as we usually describe them.

close, as the top is actually flat, but has a sculpted edge going around the sides at the top, NOT "squared off": sharp flat edges, as the "flatop" Blackhawks of the mid 1950s both 357 mag as well as the 44 mag...and yes reintroduced in the New models a few years ago as special editions, runs in other calibers like the 44 special...all nice mid frame sized Blackhawks.........

the rear sight on the Single Sixes is a drift in a dovetail, the true "flatops" have an adjustable rear sight ( Micro) and is flat ( flush) with the top strap, thus the all across, from side to side and front to back , all 'flat'..........;)(y)

victorio1sw

Bearcat
Good looking package there!! In fact,, by your pictures,, all that's missing is the wax paper wrap, the 3-piece warranty card, and the outer "book wrap" shipping sleeve, and the box for the spare cylinder. All but the shipper is easily found if you want to make it more complete.

A GENTLE comment about nomenclature. To assist newer folks in what us old timer collectors use as somewhat correct wording when describing our beloved Rugers, we try & standardize how we describe things. Often,, many folks (non-Ruger types) mis-label a Single-Six fix sighted gun as a "Flattop". This isn't correct. No flat topped Single-Six guns were factory produced. And the term "Flattop" came about once Ruger started offering the rear sight protection, or "ears" as we usually describe them.
That is why I said "Semi-Flattop".

victorio1sw

Bearcat
close, as the top is actually flat, but has a sculpted edge going around the sides at the top, NOT "squared off": sharp flat edges, as the "flatop" Blackhawks of the mid 1950s both 357 mag as well as the 44 mag...and yes reintroduced in the New models a few years ago as special editions, runs in other calibers like the 44 special...all nice mid frame sized Blackhawks.........

the rear sight on the Single Sixes is a drift in a dovetail, the true "flatops" have an adjustable rear sight ( Micro) and is flat ( flush) with the top strap, thus the all across, from side to side and front to back , all 'flat'..........;)(y)
I think that any "improvement" that Ruger made to the signs, just made them ugly.

victorio1sw

Bearcat
I think that any "improvement" that Ruger made to the signs, just made them ugly.
I agree. Kind of like when Colt introduced that "New Frontier" with similar sights. Colt should have re-introduced their original flattop design from the 1890's.