'63 Single Six Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have been offered a 1963 Ruger Single Six Magnum (so marked on the frame). It has a 6 1/2" barrel and from the pictures, does not look to have a lot of bluing wear. It has been converted (wish he had not done that), but all the parts are there to put it back to original.

I need to go take a look at it and determine if I am willing to give what he is asking. I don't think he is out of line on the price, but was wondering if a magnum only Single Six commanded a higher price and what range would be a decent price. Since it is a friend, I will either give him what he is asking or pass.

No, unfortunately, I do not have pictures to share.

Well here we go again. There are Single -Six Magnums and then there are Single-Six Magnums. Looking on the left side of the frame will tell the story. The Mag marked
Single -Sixs have several variations and some are quite rare which may be important if you are a collector. I have a 1 of 700 which is a 1963 XR3-RED grip frame and an Eagle on the barrel, along with other scarce ones.

The 1960 Mag. could be a single cylinder gun or it could have been sent in for the 22LR cyl or it might be a convertible. Extra 22LR cyl started in 1960 with S/N 308310

There are 5 different variations S/N 317276 to 339948 in this pile. 4 came with the extra 22LR Cyl. the 1959 lower right model did not
All are marked
RUGER SINGLE-SIX WIN. .22 RF MAG. CAL. The Single-Six convertibles are marked RUGER. 22 CAL. SINGLE-SIX.

1713981751663.png

chet15

Hawkeye
Convertibles were not produced until 1961.
Quite a few Single cylinder guns were sent back to the factory to have the "other cylinder" for a small fee. Those will be found to have the last three digits of the serial number stamped in LARGE size numbers on the front of the cylinder. Factory convertibles up to 1963 had the extra cylinder stamped with the last three digits with small size digits.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
"Convertibles were not produced until 1961."

Chet, then why do you state in the RENE Extra 22LR cyl started in 1960 with S/N 308310 Probably just over 5000 made ????
I should probably reword that. Convertibles weren't cataloged until March 1961. So saying 1960 with 308310 is probably when that one would have normally been shipped had it not been a convertible.
I will need to look at my notes to see if I have a ship date for 308310, but chances are it was a fairly early serial number that got completed and shipped later as a convertible.
Chet15

Latest posts