“Buntline” OM Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
A shop around an hour from me has a Single Six with a 9.5" barrel that dates to 1972. Can anyone give me an idea as to the relative scarcity of this model? It has a .22LR cylinder. Were any made as convertibles?

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, if that gun s as I think it is,, a RSS9,, and very possibly an "X" as well, (In fact,, I think all the 9-1/2" models were convertible,) it should have a fixed drift adjustable rear sight.
Yes,, they were primarily offered as a convertible. A 1972 variation would have a serial number prefix of 21-xxxxx. While a lot of the various RSS models made during the latter end of the OM's,, the scarcest one is the 4-5/8" with the 9-1/2" ones the second scarcest ones made.
If the price is reasonable, and the condition good,, I'd snag it.

Sorta copied from a WMG Classified ad . . .

"The 9.5" old model Single Sixes represented a fairly low percentage of production and are scarce today. The first 9.5" (model RSS9) revolvers were made in 1959 and 1960 and were single (LR) cylinder guns (the convertible models did not appear until 1961 in the 162xx serial range)."

Hankus

Blackhawk
Ok, if that gun s as I think it is,, a RSS9,, and very possibly an "X" as well, (In fact,, I think all the 9-1/2" models were convertible,) it should have a fixed drift adjustable rear sight.
Yes,, they were primarily offered as a convertible. A 1972 variation would have a serial number prefix of 21-xxxxx. While a lot of the various RSS models made during the latter end of the OM's,, the scarcest one is the 4-5/8" with the 9-1/2" ones the second scarcest ones made.
If the price is reasonable, and the condition good,, I'd snag it.
I'm going up there Tuesday after a trip to the VA, to look at an OM .30 Carbine Blackhawk. I can't swing both, but this looked interesting.

Heck, I've have had a nice one serial number #20-2455x at the last half dozen gun shows, no one even looks at it and the other one was a boxed 200th Year and it went in two shows ( and it was a new model) :unsure:

Attachments

• RSS9X 9.5 22-22mag 20 prefix.JPG
    RSS9X 9.5 22-22mag 20 prefix.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 39
  • RSS 9 x.22-22 mag. 9.5 -in. cal OM 1969 near.JPG
    RSS 9 x.22-22 mag. 9.5 -in. cal OM 1969 near.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 36
I guess it would depend on the price.
I bought a 1959 Colt Buntline Scout, 9.5" barrel, with the holster at a show a few years ago. They wanted $650 for and I got it for $500.
That thing shoots straighter than my SP101/5765 and Wrangler. I love it!

Johnnu2

Hunter
Heck, I've have had a nice one serial number #20-2455x at the last half dozen gun shows, no one even looks at it and the other one was a boxed 200th Year and it went in two shows ( and it was a new model) :unsure:
If it isn't plastic, and can shoot 25 rounds in 3 seconds from an extended clip, you may have to keep those beauties (sadly).

J.

Hankus

Blackhawk
It's marked ".22 CAL" but doesn't have the magnum cylinder… I'll use that as a bargaining tool when I get there in a couple hours.

Hankus

Blackhawk
And … it's mine! It didn't come with a box or the spare .22WMR cylinder but I'll be keeping my eyes open. Would I be right in assuming a fluted cylinder would be correct? It's in 99.5% condition. The only blemish is a slight 1" line of missing finish on the top of the ejector housing right next to the barrel. It looks to be a safe queen with VERY few rounds through it. It ran me $550 though.

Attachments

• IMG_7264.jpeg
    IMG_7264.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7263.jpeg
    IMG_7263.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 36

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
Well done! 👏
You'll find that OM 30 Carbine Blackhawk's are far more frequently encountered than one of those gems...😉

And … it's mine! It didn't come with a box or the spare .22WMR cylinder but I'll be keeping my eyes open. Would I be right in assuming a fluted cylinder would be correct? It's in 99.5% condition. The only blemish is a slight 1" line of missing finish on the top of the ejector housing right next to the barrel. It looks to be a safe queen with VERY few rounds through it. It ran me $550 though.
The non fluted cylinders introduced with the New Models with 22 pre-fix serial numbers on up. You should be able to find a 22 Magnum cylinder they are on Ebay & Numrich has them sometimes I have picked them up at gun shows most of the time in good condition because when the person purchased the gun originally took it out and shot both cylinders & most likely decided that they didn't need to shoot the more expensive 22 mag at 3 to 4 the price of standard 22 ammo so they put it back in the red felt bag with the yellow rope and put it way in safe place forgot it there, sold or traded off the original Ruger, then years later they found it in there sock drawer in the back or where the put it. You got a good price for that RSS9 IMHO!

contender

Ruger Guru
Good score!

Measure the OAL of the current cylinder. Then look for one as long or a few thousands longer. You can gently hone off the front of the cylinder boss to make a longer one fit.

Make a little extra money & go back & get that .30 Carbine too!

If you haven't shot it yet, double check the cylinder in the gun to make sure it's a L/R and not Magnum. It might be missing the L/R cylinder. You can't tell by looking at the outside of the cylinder when it's in the gun.