OM Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jonsea1976

Bearcat
I picked up this Single Six yesterday. S/N 153532. It has the 5.5" barrel with the larger bore (checked with a 7/32 drill bit) and has not been converted. My question is… would this have possibly been sold with a 22 Mag cylinder? Or, did only the 6 1/2" barrel models come with the MAG cylinder. This is my first Single Six. I got what I think is a pretty good deal at $350.
IMG_0348.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpeg
    IMG_0349.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Ruger started using the larger bore diameter about serial number 150000. So,, that gun could use a ,22 mag cylinder safely. However,, I'd bet that gun wasn't shipped with the magnum cylinder.
Why?
Because the RSS5 models that were shipped with a .22 mag cylinder, also known as a convertible, didn't start until 1961,, with serial number 162xxx.
In 1960,, the serial number range for the single cylinder guns was from 151189 to 171402.
Yes,, there's an overlap of serial numbers but the lowest convertibles didn't show up until 1961.

Getting the letter from Ruger will give you the month, the year of mfg, AND the model it was shipped as. Most likely just RSS5 without the "X" to denote the .22 mag cylinder.

Jonsea1976

Bearcat
Very nice Single Six. Please explain using a 7/32 drill bit to measure bore diameter.
This was not my trick. I found it on a different forum. The diameter of a 7/32 drill bit is .22". The pre 150000 serial numbered single sixes not designed as convertibles were bored to .222 and not intended to shoot 22 MAG. After serial number 150000, or there abouts… Ruger supposedly standardized the bore to .224 to accept standard and Magnum 22 cartridges (and save money). This doesn't necessarily mean your single six was originally made as a convertible. But will at least tell you if it can shoot 22 mag. The idea is, if the 7/32 drill bit (smooth end) will fit in the barrel, then you at least have a bore diameter that will accept 22 Mag cartridges. If it doesn't fit, do NOT shoot 22 Mag. There were exceptions to this.

Since mine is so close to the 150000 serial number standardization I wanted to see if the bore was at least the proper diameter to accept 22 Mag. If it wasn't then at least I would have known for sure that it was not sold with two cylinders.

However, As stated above, the only way to know for sure if your Single six was sold as a convertible (even with the .224 bore) is to get the letter from Ruger. There were plenty sold after 150000 as non-convertible that have the .224 diameter bore.

If any of the above is incorrect… I am sure someone will speak up.

Jonsea1976

Bearcat
Ruger started using the larger bore diameter about serial number 150000. So,, that gun could use a ,22 mag cylinder safely. However,, I'd bet that gun wasn't shipped with the magnum cylinder.
Why?
Because the RSS5 models that were shipped with a .22 mag cylinder, also known as a convertible, didn't start until 1961,, with serial number 162xxx.
In 1960,, the serial number range for the single cylinder guns was from 151189 to 171402.
Yes,, there's an overlap of serial numbers but the lowest convertibles didn't show up until 1961.

Getting the letter from Ruger will give you the month, the year of mfg, AND the model it was shipped as. Most likely just RSS5 without the "X" to denote the .22 mag cylinder.

This is very helpful. I dropped the letter request in the mailbox yesterday evening. Thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
I've seen cheaper drill bits not be "exactly" the size they claim to be. I'd use a pin gauge if I were to be trying to determine that .002 difference in bore diameter.
But in general,, you are correct. a 7/32 drill bit is a quick way to check,, and especially for those w/o a set of pin gauges.

But I'm heading to the SHOT show in Las Vegas tomorrow. And I'll take the odds that your gun was not shipped as a convertible and play games in Vegas & come home a lot richer. Too high a serial number.

I've seen cheaper drill bits not be "exactly" the size they claim to be. I'd use a pin gauge if I were to be trying to determine that .002 difference in bore diameter.
But in general,, you are correct. a 7/32 drill bit is a quick way to check,, and especially for those w/o a set of pin gauges.

But I'm heading to the SHOT show in Las Vegas tomorrow. And I'll take the odds that your gun was not shipped as a convertible and play games in Vegas & come home a lot richer. Too high a serial number.
Looks very nice at a good price and as Contender stated it is probably a type 2 1960 Single-Six without mag cylinder.
By the way it looks like your cylinder base pin is not all the way in

Star43

Blackhawk
I stand corrected! I was measuring from the end of the barrel to the frame. I had to look it up. Thank you!
Maybe my eyes are going, but I think you stated your gun was the 5 1/2 inch model ??? Either way, it is a beauty and looks to be in great shape. Good luck with it.....😊

Latest posts