RW grip frame grips #9, #10 finished.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I finished the set of grips for the RW grip frame,, (Bradshaw Bisley,) for my Ruger .357 Maxi. If you've followed the previous pictures,, I had finished the sanding & was ready to apply the finish. I made the set out of American Holly,, figuring the off white,, almost ivory look would be the best compliment.
Below,, is a picture of the gun with the Holly installed. BUT,,,,,,,,,, in the picture,, you will see a bit of a sneaky surprise. As I was making a Holly set,, I was also making a Walnut set. I wanted to see what they would look like. So,,,,,,,,, the first picture is of the gun with the Holly, and the Walnuts beside it. The second picture is of the Walnut set on the gun, with the Holly beside it.

So,, here's a question,, which set looks the best to y'all?

P1040485.JPG
P1040486.JPG

contender

Ruger Guru
"Whatever set you don't like ;feel free to send them my way😉 "

Well, I just figured I'd order another RW grip frame to give those grips a place to live! :D

Kinda like the old adage, "Ever buy ammo or a holster for a gun you didn't already have?" Well, in the case of the grips,, I'll just have to get another grip frame. :D

One thing not seen from the last pictures is the fact I added a palm swell area on the right panel. To better fit my hands!

I prefer the walnut. I've always liked a darker grip color. That said, I'm considering having Ronnie make me some Zebrawood panels. I found some wood local. They both look good on there though! Nice work!

I love the feel of my Bradshaw Bisley, but the weight of the brass is a bit on the heavy side for me. I haven't decided if I want to sell it and get an aluminum one, or try and drill lightening holes to see if I can get the weight down. I'm leaning towards the aluminum solution- or else sell the gun complete and start over…

My Bradshaw with walnut-
IMG_6334.jpeg

contender

Ruger Guru
Well,, today,, just before the heavy rain started,, I managed to take the gun out & shoot it using both sets of grips. It felt VERY good in my hands & quite manageable, with either set.

Keep the comments coming!

Johnnu2

Hunter
I like them both; BUT, I would prefer a satin finish on the walnut (vs. the gloss).
BTW, you did some FINE WORK on those grip frames.

J.

contender

Ruger Guru
Thanks. Those grips could have been a little bit more "perfect" and all, but it's been a while since I made some grips,, and I made tiny mistakes. I prefer a glossy finish,, even if I'm gonna hunt with it. Besides,, the gloss is hidden if I'm aiming at a deer! :D

Looking at the pictures,, the shape of a few things seems to be "off" a bit. They appear to be a bit "flat" in places. But in reality,, it's just the lighting & reflections. They are well rounded & smooth all across the contours. Plus,, as I'd sand them,, I'd put them on the g/f & test the "feel" to see how they felt in my hands.

The mistakes one makes when 'creating' something are generally noticed by the 'creator' but rarely by anyone else. I know when doing leather-work I mess up and see it, but when it is all put together it isn't obvious. They look really good to me, especially the holly.