SFAR 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel Length Question. 16"? Opinions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jreffner

Bearcat
I really do appreciate the input. Kind of getting the feeling about two things. Number one, peoples perception, changes overtime and that perception changes the market as companies will release not necessarily what they believe is the best, but rather what the customers want. You mentioned extremely long barrel lengths for 308 in the past, but now 16 inches is becoming rather common. Although I assume the same thing will happen for other calibers Such a 65 Creedmoor, the wait will be too long. So, I think since the SFAR has a few proprietary parts I'm probably better off just doing a 20 inch model and trying to lighten it slightly with a minimalist stock and possibly a carbon fiber hand guard from Faxon. Here is my question now: Will the Faxon carbon fiber handguard work with the Ruger SFAR? Ruger claims the SFAR has a free float barrel. If I switch hand guards will that ruin it? Specifically because you have to use the barrel nut that comes with the carbon fiber handguard. I can't use the barrel nut that comes from Ruger. Any thoughts? I'm sorry, I just don't know enough about free floated barrels and hand guards. here is a link to the hand guard.: https://faxonfirearms.com/faxon-streamline-carbon-fiber-15-m-lok-handguard/

I can't answer your handguard question. Many of the 'free float' handguards use a proprietary barrel nut so changing handguards might require a different barrel nut. Since the SFAR is already a proprietary design, I have no idea what that might entail.

jreffner

Bearcat
I decided to roll the dice and bought a 20" SFAR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm relieved to report that it is excellent so far. Here is what I have done to date:

Upon purchase, I put 3 rounds through it on gas setting 3, and then three more on setting 2. All 6 rounds did fine. Then, I took it home and replaced the handguard with a Faxon 17" carbon fiber handguard. It barely clears the gas block like the factory one. I wish it had more clearance, but I'm trying to shed weight. To do this I had to replace the barrel nut. This means I had to remove the gas block and put it back on. I was a little concerned about this, but apparently I did alright. I also used blue loctite on the gas block. I also replaced the muzzle break with a Faxon one, the stock with an MDT minimalist stock, the charging handle and safety with one from Radian. A trigger from HiperFire (Eclipse model), and then added a set of Magpul off set MBUS Pros (Arisaka low pic three slot rail for front sight), Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8, Aero scope mount, a sling, and an Atlas bipod.

Then I finally got to the range. I put 140 grain S&B as well as 140 grain Winchester Match through it. 76 rounds on gas setting 2 and it all cycled perfectly. Not a single failure to feed or extract. I took it home, cleaned it and found no signs of wear and tear on any parts. I know it is only 76 rounds, but I'm very pleased so far. Final weight is 10.5 lbs. with sling and empty 20 round Hex mag. Magpul and Lancer mags worked as well. It balances very well from the factory, but not as well with the bipod. I had to buy a longer hex key, punch and needle nose players to adjust and remove (for cleaning) the gas plug. Note: the group was done with the S&B ammo. I hope someone finds this useful.

Attachments

• IMG_6488.jpeg
    IMG_6488.jpeg
    723.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6497.jpeg
    IMG_6497.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 38
You kept talking about weight savings and light weight was important but added a large muzzle brake, bipod and angled fore end grip. Yeap all the add On's will work but are not keeping it light weight. What matters is you being happy and that's important. I see it over and over a person wants a light weight AR platform but succumbs to some of the extras that are on the market.

jreffner

Bearcat
I totally agree with you, however I don't believe the brake I added was any heavier than the one I replaced it with. The fore grip is pretty minimal weight, but I will agree on the bipod. It adds a lot of weight, and does it way out in front. Believe it or not, it is slightly less weight than the Magpul version, and I did the QD version so I can easily remove it or add it. I just think a bipod makes more sense on a longer range gun. I did try to save weight on the carbon fiber handguard, and it is lighter, but if I'm honest, it wasn't worth the difference in weight for what it cost. It is lighter, but was too much money, but I was never able to find the weight of that Ruger handguard to compare beforehand. The way I look at it is that if these are the things I want on it, then it is better to start with a rifle that is as light as possible. Otherwise this would be a 12 or 13 lb rifle instead of a 10.5 lb rife. I also agree that it comes down to if you are happy with it or not. Would I like it lighter? Yep. Do I want the fore grip and bipod? Yep. So, I have to accept it. If I temporarily want it lighter, then off comes the bipod.

Mike 8939

Bearcat
Hi Everyone,

So I've waited a year for a 6.5 Creedmoor version of the SFAR, but I want it in 16" or I'd settle for 18", but as most of you know it is only available in 20". Yes, I'm aware I'll lose some performance, and that you will tell me to just get the .308, but I'll take the ballistic hit to get a softer and flatter shooting caliber, AND I don't want to stock yet another caliber. I already have the Ruger Precision in 6.5 CM and nothing chambered in 308. So, please give me your opinion: Do you think Ruger will do a 16" or 18" SFAR in 6.5 CM, or should I just deal with it and get the 20"? Thanks for your thoughts!
I just saw your question and what some people are doing is buying the 20 take it to a good gunsmith and cut off the barrel

Mike 8939

Bearcat
"How heavy is 4 inches of a rifle barrel and would it really make a difference?"
Valid point. I'm not sure how heavy the SFAR is but on a full size AR10(ish) rifle, the weight 4" of barrel won't be noticed.
I'm old and not as strong as once was but the AR10 is definitely a 'two hand' platform. With a decent scope and sling, it's a 'pig'. Which is (i assume) the reason for the SFAR platform.
As I mentioned, it's doubtful that cutting a 20" back back to 16" will function. There's just a whole list of things that get out of whack in this scenario.

Mike 8939

Bearcat
I like tbe 16 because it is much easier to handle in tight spaces ie a side by side very often while driving through my fields I run upon a Coyote,. Skunk, And armadillo. and the 16 is much easier to handle

Latest posts