Skeeter's Bisley.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Many years ago I had a friend, Tommy Russell, who got into Ruger collecting and since he was late getting into the field, decided Bisleys would be the way for him to go. I've since lost track of Tommy. His wife died years ago and I believe he moved to Kentucky.

But after Skeeter Skelton's death, he bid on a couple of guns at the auction, and won this Bisley, which I believe was the one in the cover photo of Shooting Times announcing the introduction of the Ruger Bisley.

100_92391.jpg

The bottom Bisley is one Tommy had made up for himself.

And the certificate from Mrs. Sally Skelton:

100_92431.jpg

A .32 H&R Magnum Tommy made up for an auction for the Ruger Collector's Association.

100_92451.jpg

Bob Wright

I am surprised that the gun shown was the one used when Skeeter wrote his bisley intro article. The reason I say that is because the first bisleys had the fluted cylinders before they got the engraving issues finalized. I would have expected an early introduction article would have shown the early fluted cylinder guns.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
contender said:
Maybe finding a copy of ST with the cover photo would show this? It is an interesting thought for sure!
Well, I think I have that issue, and will dig it out to check..............

As I recall, there is mention in that banner article of fluted or non-fluted cylinders.

Give me a little time

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
As to heim, California.the .32, it was made for auction at the R.C.A. Members' Dinner in 1990 in Anaheim, Calif.

The article I have is by Tommy Russell, membership in R.C.A. was #7612. If anyone has any contact information, I'd like to renew acquaintance with Tommy.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
charlies said:
If I may butt in, I too have one of Skeeters guns. A stainless 357 SA. It came with a letter from Sally etc.

As far as my posts are concerned, there is no "butting in." Any and all are welcome to comment, criticize or join in in any way. It's called "talking guns."

Bob Wright

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
The grips look like they could be the same, but the cylinder is definitely fluted. Brings into question whether the OP's gun was Skeeter's.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
SteelBlue said:
The grips look like they could be the same, but the cylinder is definitely fluted. Brings into question whether the OP's gun was Skeeter's.

The auction papers included the gun's serial number, as did the certificate, which was signed by Sally Skelton, Skeeter's widow. Beyond that, I can't say further.

And, as I stated, the gun was not mine but a Ruger collector's. It maybe possible to contact Skeeter's son, Bart, to authenticate. I have no intention of doing so.

Bob Wright