Some folks don't 'get it'

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I was talking of this scenario yesterday. He happens to be more paranoid...bad word...prepared than me in some ways. He has plenty firearms and some ammo...Then he asked if I have an AR I would sell. He has a 1000 rounds or so of 223_ammo and no gun that uses it. He is more than aware of the possible things that can happen and really unprepared. I live in flyover country..the odds used to be more than a million to one against something happening here.but now terrorists would actually look for an area like here to launch an attack...if for nothing but the fear factor. I fear we have more bad guys here than we know!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I was talking of this scenario yesterday. He happens to be more paranoid...bad word...prepared than me in some ways. He has plenty firearms and some ammo...Then he asked if I have an AR I would sell. He has a 1000 rounds or so of 223_ammo and no gun that uses it. He is more than aware of the possible things that can happen and really unprepared. I live in flyover country..the odds used to be more than a million to one against something happening here.but now terrorists would actually look for an area like here to launch an attack...if for nothing but the fear factor. I fear we have more bad guys here than we know!

Bad outcomes happen on their own. Good outcomes must be planned for. Sounds like your friend is trying to plan for a good outcome. If you have more than one AR, I'd advise sellng him one. You might need his help one day. :)

pyth0n

Buckeye
I'll accept your opinion BUT it would help if you actually knew the individual to whom I'm referring.
I guess what mattered here is your side ofthe story & your condescending response to that person. True, we don't know if you were talking with Beavis, Butthead or biden. Since you said it was an agency training session, I suppose they weren't complete bidens. JMO.

I am constantly reminded that people hear and read things different than the way I meant them..... and it is real easy to do. I'm been accused on another forum of being a troll when all I was doing was pointing out a different way of looking at something or even just poking the bear.....

My church has a volunteer day after service tomorrow where people can sign up for different committees.... the chairman of our safety committee is out of town and so I have to be at that table.... my wife won't let me wear my "third world dictator / secret police uniform". I don't know why.....

Joezilla

Bearcat
I have changed my EDC to my Glock 19X, 17+1 with a 19 round backup mag is very comforting. I have also added a pouch of 6 17 round mags to each of my vehicles. I have not as of yet started carrying my AR-15 with me every time I leave the house………heavy emphasis on not yet.😳😁

Joe

gjgalligan

Single-Sixer
I'm with Mobuck to a degree... "clip" and "shells". tells me the person needs training... but that is as far as I would go. I do my best not to correct poorly ejumicated gun owners....
Different areas have different ways of talking. Whatever ways of talking one has depends on where they are. Doesn't matter at all how they were educated.
I think a lot of people in the south talk funny but that doesn't mean they need "training".

Last edited:

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Growing up just about every adult male I knew was either a WWII or a Korean vet. More WWII vets than Korean.
Just about all of them called magazines , clips.
Personally , I could care less what you call it. Call it a bullet holder thing if you want.
I never understood why everyone gets so upset about it.
Nobody cared about it until the internet came around.
Now everyone is a seasoned professional and knows everything.

Growing up just about every adult male I knew was either a WWII or a Korean vet. More WWII vets than Korean.
Just about all of them called magazines , clips.
Personally , I could care less what you call it. Call it a bullet holder thing if you want.
I never understood why everyone gets so upset about it.
Nobody cared about it until the internet came around.
Now everyone is a seasoned professional and knows everything.
WWII veterans used Clips unless they were on the BAR.

IMG_20230303_073203355.jpg

And a pocket full of shells

Way before I joined the internet gun community I was a sailer and the feeling is the same if not more so. You need to learn to speak the language correctly if you want to be respected. Not sure if that is being elitist or not.... There are a lot more 'proper' terms or names for parts on a sail boat than on a gun.

Way before I joined the internet gun community I was a sailer and the feeling is the same if not more so. You need to learn to speak the language correctly if you want to be respected. Not sure if that is being elitist or not.... There are a lot more 'proper' terms or names for parts on a sail boat than on a gun.
🤣😂🤣😂Sailer😂🤣😂🤣

People get upset because it feeds their need to feel superior to others...

Sometimes people get upset because (A) the person making the comments wants to outlaw guns and (B) the same comments strongly suggest that person knows diddly-squat about guns. That obviously wasn't the case here, but I think the skeptical response has become more common in the "gun culture", since a major political party started promoting civilian disarmament 24/7.

(But obviously a lot of folks have their "pet peeves"! I always wonder if somebody who talks about "bullet tips" has ever seen a reloading manual, or even knows they exist. Might be a safety issue there! :^)

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, one-man's-bullet-is-another-man's-fill-in-the-blank, etc., etc.
:)

tbobcar

Single-Sixer
To each their own. Frankly I don't see any point in making fun of other people that carry because they don't have the same viewpoint you do.
Precisely, well said! I'm sceptical of measuring a person's knowledge of the count and detailed contents of a Hi Point Clip to assign their utility in a firefight.
I have never been with a group of
(agency??) troops that WERE about to go into combat that made fun of another members readiness formula. That'd be way out of line.
Those agency members who are puking and shaking all over, have their own formula for success in combat. Most well armed troops are newbes and get dead or injured quickly, and leave all their fine weapons and polished ammo behind for the enemy.
The one skinny guy with a rifle and a pistol with 40-50 rounds for each, is the one I'm going to stay close to. The guy that is a know it all, I guarantee will be in tears 10 mins after the bullets start flying. Dis-harmony and amature bravado get people injured or killed. There is no such thing as good natured
kidding, all "I know I'm cool" and "you're stupid", kidding is very destructive.

tbobcar

Single-Sixer
I do that at times, but I do make sure it is lighthearted, and shared with others that I know will take things in good humor and stride. I am just as likely to poke fun at myself as much as anything. Life is serious, a forum where most of us are friendly or friends is a good escape for a bit.
I'm not sure what you said, Wendy, or who you're sharing the "good humor and stride" with.

Precisely, well said! I'm sceptical of measuring a person's knowledge of the count and detailed contents of a Hi Point Clip to assign their utility in a firefight.
I have never been with a group of
(agency??) troops that WERE about to go into combat that made fun of another members readiness formula. That'd be way out of line.
Those agency members who are puking and shaking all over, have their own formula for success in combat. Most well armed troops are newbes and get dead or injured quickly, and leave all their fine weapons and polished ammo behind for the enemy.
The one skinny guy with a rifle and a pistol with 40-50 rounds for each, is the one I'm going to stay close to. The guy that is a know it all, I guarantee will be in tears 10 mins after the bullets start flying. Dis-harmony and amature bravado get people injured or killed. There is no such thing as good natured
kidding, all "I know I'm cool" and "you're stupid", kidding is very destructive.
Agency Members usually have their load out dictated for the most part. There's some room for personal discretion but not much usually.

... of course I had to make fun of Blume357 using the word "Sailer"😂🤣😂🤣 ...

I'm more of a saler - I try to buy stuff when it's on sale.
:cool:
(But sometimes I wish this forum had a spell checker, so I wouldn't be jumping over to the search engine to look up definitions, just so I can check the spelling! And even that doesn't cure my fat fingers! ;^)