Speed Six front sight options

Help Support Ruger Forum:

magnum0710

Single-Sixer
I posted in the classifieds, no luck yet but I'm looking for a front sight blade for a 2.75 Speed Six. Does anyone know of some other options that will work? The front sight from the fixed sight GP100 fits but it's way off and shoots way too low. I could probably file it down but even shooting it with the front sight raised up I still couldn't get acceptable results. I have a factory SP101 sight but it will have to be filed to fit, plus it's already drilled so I don't know if I will be able to redrill it for the speed six or not.
I know the XS SP101 sights will work but I don't want to spend that kind of money and have it not work or not be able to fit it.

Does anyone know of other options I could try that might be more cost effective? I have an original Speed Six sight but it's broke so I would probably have to JB weld it and hope the redrill works out. Is there maybe a plastic SP101 sight that could be filed down a little easier? I did find an original Speed Six sight but it's in the UK and there's no option for US shipping and I can't get in contact with the site that has it. I also found Millett sights for a Security Six but I'm guessing I'll have the same problem that I have with the GP100 sight and it will shoot way too low.

If anyone here does have an old Speed Six sight and can sell it please let me know. It would really help alot. If not I'm definitely open to suggestions. If I have to I could probably buy a parts barrel to get the sight but at that point I might as well try to find a better sight that will work.
Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!

contender

Ruger Guru
I saw your ad,, and I wondered if I might have the part on a spare barrel in my stuff. But,, I didn't make myself a note to check. I'll try & remember to look sometime tomorrow. (And I kinda figured a couple of the DA guys would chime in before I'd get time to dig.)

magnum0710

Single-Sixer
I saw your ad,, and I wondered if I might have the part on a spare barrel in my stuff. But,, I didn't make myself a note to check. I'll try & remember to look sometime tomorrow. (And I kinda figured a couple of the DA guys would chime in before I'd get time to dig.)
That would be great!
I figured it would be good to post here also, mainly because if any of the other guys are like me you don't really look at the classifieds unless you're really trying to buy or sell something.
I did find a barrel for $50 about what an XS sight for the SP101 would cost me. I have no idea what I would do with the barrel though, especially since it's blued and mine is stainless. If I do that at least I'll have the correct sight instead of spending the money and trying to make another one fit.

I picked up some JB weld and put it on the broken sight, it's curing now. I'm hoping it will work at least temporarily til I can track down a replacement or find a suitable alternative. I'm also trying to file down a factory SP101 sight to fit the channel. Hopefully I can salvage the one I have, I'll probably loctite it in so between that and the JB Weld I'm hoping it will hold for the time being.

One bit of good news you'll like, I did manage to find one load that shoots to point of aim with the GP100 sight. 8.2 grains HS6 under a 158 using the short Hornady FTX cases. I use those cases for my midrange 38/44 equivalent loads. I don't know how or why but that was the only load that I was able to shoot a decent group with. Everything else hit way too low. If I were more comfortable carrying my handloads I'd keep the GP100 sight and use that particular load for the time being.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, I went to digging in my stuff, and I found the barrel I have,, but the front sight has already been removed. No luck here. I tried.

Maybe one of the DA guys will see this & have one for you.

magnum0710

Single-Sixer
Ok, I went to digging in my stuff, and I found the barrel I have,, but the front sight has already been removed. No luck here. I tried.

Maybe one of the DA guys will see this & have one for you.
No worries!
If for some reason I can't track one down I'm sure I can make something work. I've seen a few threads on using the XS sights for the SP101, it takes some fitting but people seem to be happy with the results. I'd probably try the Hi Viz sights myself since they're a little cheaper and come with replacement fiber optics.
The JB is still curing, my only worry is the barrel got kind of hot when I was shooting so I don't know how well it will hold up when the barrel gets hot. I was thinking maybe put some thin clear tape over the JB. I have some free time tomorrow, I'm going to mess with both sights and see how it goes.

magnum0710

Single-Sixer
RoninPA has been like Yoda for me on my Six series projects, I did buy a sight from him that came off another Speed Six but when I tried to tap the cross pin in things went a little haywire. That's the sight I'm trying to fix currently. He is looking for me but the Speed Six is probably the rarest of the Six series. Most times I see a Six for sale online 9 times out of 10 it's a Security Six followed by the Service Six.

Alpha426

Bearcat
Do you know the height required for your firearm? I have sights from when I attended the Ruger armorer school with the following heightS: 0.186", 0.206", 0.265". Some are in the white and now have surface rust on them but can be cold blued.

Attachments

• P1010095.JPG
    P1010095.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 4

magnum0710

Single-Sixer
Do you know the height required for your firearm? I have sights from when I attended the Ruger armorer school with the following heightS: 0.186", 0.206", 0.265". Some are in the white and now have surface rust on them but can be cold blued.
Off hand no but I believe it would be the .186 if that's the short one at the top. I have the 2.75 inch barrel. The broken one I have looks like the short one at the top.

Latest posts